The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm seriously envious of Sylphide's fuel efficiency here. My best estimate is that I get somewhere around 1.1 - 1.3 nmpg in the 6.5 - 7 kt range and about 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg at 17 - 18 kts :eek::nonono:

Thanks for the write up Dave, we are also very envious of your travels as we work on our future water RV and wait for our retirement and Loop trip. Those are great mpg numbers you are getting. We were very surprised at the mpg numbers we managed to see on our NT during the bring her home trip from Connecticut to the west coast of the sunshine state. While we had no real knowledge of the fuel needs of a 3208t , we expected her to burn more than double the actual amount used. We calculated slightly higher than 5 mpg at around 7 knots.
Keep the stories coming, they inspire us to go out in the Florida heat and plug away at the DIY list of task yet to be finished.

Nice read as always. Thanks Dave.

Thank you! :flowers:

Vomiting distance? Now there's one heck of a descriptive. :rofl:

The question now is: was I really close to the fuel dock, or do I have some hitherto unadvertised olympic level puking skills? :ermm:

I'm seriously envious of Sylphide's fuel efficiency here. My best estimate is that I get somewhere around 1.1 - 1.3 nmpg in the 6.5 - 7 kt range and about 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg at 17 - 18 kts :eek::nonono:

Thiccness might count in other things, but it turns out there's something to the whole 'long and narrow' approach. Sure she's a little rollier than some, but she's slicker than snot on a doorknob. #ClassyBroad

Thanks for the write up Dave, we are also very envious of your travels as we work on our future water RV and wait for our retirement and Loop trip. Those are great mpg numbers you are getting. We were very surprised at the mpg numbers we managed to see on our NT during the bring her home trip from Connecticut to the west coast of the sunshine state. While we had no real knowledge of the fuel needs of a 3208t , we expected her to burn more than double the actual amount used. We calculated slightly higher than 5 mpg at around 7 knots.
Keep the stories coming, they inspire us to go out in the Florida heat and plug away at the DIY list of task yet to be finished.

Very happy to be of service :flowers: You and Charlie will be looping before you know it!

When the time came to leave Cape May, I got underway without really knowing which way to go. On my way south in the fall, I’d taken the outside ocean route down from Atlantic City. It’s basically a straight line down the coast, and without all of the twists and turns of the ICW, it’s about 20 miles and three hours shorter. There are also no traffic, bridges, or shoal spots to worry about. All in all, it’s a much better option.

This time though, the forecast was right on the edge of what I’d consider acceptable for an open ocean transit, and there wasn’t better weather on the horizon any time soon. To make the decision a little harder, what I was seeing out the window didn’t match what the forecast had called for. It was a fairly calm, clear, beautiful morning.

I waffled back and forth several times as I made my way from Utch’s toward the fork in the road. A left turn would take me up the inside route, and a right would take me to the open North Atlantic. At the last second, after effectively flipping a mental coin, I decided to take a right toward the ocean. It looked pretty reasonable from inside, and there were lots of fishing boats out there, so it couldn’t be too bad. I figured I’d go stick my nose out past the breakwater and see how it felt.

It felt… different. It was something Sylphide and I hadn’t encountered before. The waves that we’d plowed through in our previous travels had all been shorter and steeper wind waves, the product of smaller bodies of water. These ones though, were long rolling ocean swells. They might only have been four feet or so, but the motion was entirely different from what we were used to.

In smaller seas, the boat tends to roll and pitch around her axes, sometimes with harsh, jerky motions, and frequently with spray on the windshield. Out in these swells the motion wasn’t as jarring, but there was a lot more of it. She was heaving, yawing, and even doing a bit of light surfing in addition to the regular rolling and pitching. It was more like driving over small hills than splashing through waves. She felt like a very small boat, on a very, very big pond.

I checked the forecast one more time, and the tide tables for the Absecon Inlet at Atlantic City, where I’d hoped to come back in for the night. The wind and seas were supposed to get worse out of the south, and I’d be arriving when the current was at full ebb. That kind of wind-against-current situation can make for a pretty dicey inlet on a boat as slow and unathletic as Sylphide. So, with that in mind, I bravely turned around, and headed back in at Cape May.

So began a very, very long day. I joined a swarm of twenty something foot fishing boats, who always travel everywhere at full tilt, and funneled toward Two Mile bridge. The bridge answered my call immediately and politely, and was open for me in no time at all. So far so good then.

Around a few corners, and we were snaking our way past Wildwood, living up to it’s name with the ever present throng of full speed runabouts. George Redding bridge was the next one in line, and they answered quickly. I asked what the clearance was, and I was right on the edge of being able to fit under it. Sylphide is 22 feet tall, and the bridge said I had 21 to 22 feet. I decided not to take that chance, and asked for an opening, which I was obliged with.

Once I was clear of the bridge, I said my customary thank you to the operator, who then told me that I was no more than 15 feet tall, and that I was nowhere near needing an opening. Now I’m no engineer, but I did use a tape measure to check that figure, and I don’t think it was malfunctioning, but he seemed to be a little annoyed with me for asking for an opening. I’m not sure why he would rather I crash into the bridge, but I guess next time I will, just to spite him. I chose to just say thank you instead of arguing, and was on my way.

I continued along what felt like the New Jersey Turnpike. It was a sunny saturday in June, and the traffic was just biblical all day. I was being passed and waked about every two minutes. The ICW is curvy and zig zaggy as it is, but the number of boats just drifting in the middle of the channel was absolutely stunning. They always seemed to congregate on corners, in the narrowest channels, where my chart was most confusing, effectively turning this barely navigable waterway into a slalom course.

I lost count of how many times my depth sounder alarm went off. I knew this stretch was infamous for it’s shifting shoals and shallow waters, but Sylphide only needs 3.5 feet. You can barely float a rubber ducky in that much water, surely there must be that much water. Surely there must be. With the way the locals zip tie their throttles in the fully opened position, you’d think the channel was a thousand feet deep, and a thousand feet wide, but no. Parts of it are narrow enough that Queen Elizabeth could piss clear across it, and are so shallow that they’re barely wet. At one point, and I swear to God this is true, I watched a Jet Ski run aground at full speed less than a hundred feet off my starboard side. Those things need so little water, you can run them down the sidewalk if the humidity is high enough.

So, eventually the inevitable happened. I was transiting the Ben Folds Five thorofare, coming up to a ninety degree right hand turn at marker 304, where the visible channel was about sixty feet wide. With a train of a dozen or so boats coming the other way, I stood to my side of the ‘river’ to pass them, and WUMP. Dead stop. ****.

I tried reversing off, but she didn’t budge. ****. I decided I wouldn’t be able to do anything while this mile long parade of boats passed by, so I sat there like a log and waited, while everyone slowed down to rubberneck at me. After a few boats went by, even though Sylphide was still firmly rooted, she started to turn broadside to the channel. I tried to straighten her out, but she would have none of it. I took up almost the whole channel, but even still, the traffic kept shoving past me.

Eventually, I decided I’d waited long enough, and in true New Jersey fashion, I just started doing whatever I wanted to do, and to hell with everyone else. I worked the rudder, and worked the engine, and managed to shift her off the bank. Sylphide was apparently no worse for the wear. No vibrations, no leaks, no harm done. I then proceeded on my way down the middle of the channel, letting everyone else find their way around number one from now on.

I trundled on through the endless traffic, ceaselessly staring at my depth-o-meter, sawing at the wheel, following the drunken stagger of a waterway. Every time I passed an outlet into the ocean, I longed to go through and out into the open ocean. I made my way to and through Margate City, with it’s opening bridge, with no lines and no waiting. Then it was on to Ventnor City, and a few other properties on the Monopoly board. Then I started into the outskirts of Atlantic city, where there was plenty of lines and waiting for everyone.

I lost about half an hour waiting for the Dorset Ave bridge, which only opens on Orthodox holidays and the 31st of February. I jogged back and forth in the super skinny channel, and eyed up a spot that’s listed as an anchorage on Active Captain. It had been a stupidly busy day, and the thought of stopping for the night was beginning to sound awfully nice. It was early yet though, and I was determined to get past Atlantic City, and pressed on.

Shortly after Dorset Ave, came Albany Ave bridge, which greeted me with the news that it’s next opening would be at six. I looked at my clock to find that it was about twenty after four. Sigh.

I started looking for some place to tie up, and found one right next to the bridge. It was a nice looking floating dock belonging to a restaurant. The dock was empty, and the place looked to be closed. I tried calling a few times, and was even excited at the prospect of getting some takeout, but I got no answer. I decided to throw caution to the wind, and to throw some lines around some cleats, and give ol’ Perkins a little rest. I needed one too, honestly, and I made myself a sandwich and sat out on the back porch for a while.

The owner of the restaurant stopped by a short while later in a sharp looking Range Rover Sport, and very graciously allowed me to wait there for the bridge free of charge, so long as I wasn’t planning to stay overnight. The restaurant had closed for the day, due to some protests that were happening in the area, which thankfully stayed peaceful.

After Albany let me through, It was a short hop to the next opening bridge, but before I got there, my fathometer zeroed out on me for the 3404933983749rd time that day, around marker 207. She kept floating though, and I caught a break at the next bridge, which was a railroad job that had opened for the night.

The next next bridge wasn’t so lucky, though. Absecon bridge only opens on the hour, which meant that I had another 40 minutes to kill. I drove in circles, did 49 point turns, drifted, and jogged back and forth. Then I drifted aground again. There’s a shallow spot on the north side of the channel which is marked on the navionics charts, but not on my Coastal Explorer charts. Guess which one I was using at that moment.

Sylphide was pretty firmly planted. More so than last time, in fact, with the inbound current working against me. I backed and filled, ruddered hard over one way, then the other. I transferred my not inconsiderable weight around the boat to no effect. I was channeling my inner Captain Jack Aubrey, thinking about starting the fresh water over the side to lighten up, when she worked herself free. Again, no harm done.

I made it through the last opening bridge of the day, and found ever deepening water on the other side. I was nearing the Absecon Inlet at Atlantic City, where the water is deep, and wide, and friendly.

I pulled into the Brigantine anchorage area at about 1930 that night, only an hour or so before sunset. There were a few boats anchored in Brigantine 1, and some mooring balls that I didn’t know anything about were taking up the rest of the area. I probably could have wedged myself between that mess and a bowrider full of half naked and fully rowdy drunken Jersey bros, but I decided to check out the other anchorages. Thankfully the one marked Brigantine 3 was empty, with loads of space, and good depth.

I splashed the anchor there, in the back yards of a few dozen rich people’s houses. One of them was bathed in a really tacky blue light, and was crawling with folks singing Billy Joel songs until late that evening.

It had been a very, very long day, and I was utterly exhausted. I slept like a log that night, despite the blue glow, and karaoke.

In short, two paths diverged in a yellow wood, and I took the one more travelled by, and I will try really, really, REALLY hard not to take that one again.

Apologies for the lack of pictures and other multimedia stimulation in this one. I was so firmly attached to the wheel, that I had a hard time finding time to pee, let alone take pictures. Thanks for reading my scribbles!

Dave, Thanks for the good read and head's up on the NJ ICW. I just found this thread the other day and have read it from beginning to end. Your writings are truly enjoyable, keep em' coming.

That read on the NJ ICW definitely confirms for me that if I'm ever heading that direction, it's outside or I'm not going. No way I would have gotten through your adventures unscathed with 2 inches more draft and my props 5 inches below my keel.

We spent a night in Atlantic City on our way home, and we actually bumped the bottom on the way thru the PVC poles to the Anchorage. But It was a peaceful night at anchor.

Thanks for the writings. 20190527_060238.jpeg

That area was my assistance towing turf.

Tricky yes....nerve wracking depends on captain temperament and experience in waters like these..... better taken in short legs on the top end of a tide and enjoyed.

Waiting for a smooth offshore run can be frustrating....going the NJ ICW can get you where you want to go with the proper precautions.

Get daily briefings from locals for each 30 mile or so stretch. Means a lot...just like any tricky, unfamiliar waters when cruising.

Tricky yes....nerve wracking depends on captain temperament and experience in waters like these..... better taken in short legs on the top end of a tide and enjoyed.

Waiting for a smooth offshore run can be frustrating....going the NJ ICW can get you where you want to go with the proper precautions.

Get daily briefings from locals for each 30 mile or so stretch. Means a lot...just like any tricky, unfamiliar waters when cruising.

And the best briefings you can get are from tow captains in the area.

On the other hand, we only go outside through that area.

Don't give that bridge tender another thought. He most likely did not even notice your mast. You know your boat.
Where I saw you was around G449 thinking that was pretty brave for trawler during flounder season. I saw SYLPHIDE on the bow at the last second in passing and beeped the horn. At least you were past the REALLY narrow spot at R452 on the bend. 50 ft wide tops. Plenty of boats of all kinds run aground there. That is an interesting place on the bottom of the tide! :eek:

Dave, Thanks for the good read and heads up on the NJ ICW. I just found this thread the other day and have read it from beginning to end. Your writings are truly enjoyable, keep em' coming.

Why thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings :flowers: Welcome to the thread.

That read on the NJ ICW definitely confirms for me that if I'm ever heading that direction, it's outside or I'm not going. No way I would have gotten through your adventures unscathed with 2 inches more draft and my props 5 inches below my keel.

I was very glad to have protected running gear.

We spent a night in Atlantic City on our way home, and we actually bumped the bottom on the way thru the PVC poles to the Anchorage. But It was a peaceful night at anchor.

Thanks for the writings.View attachment 103968

Thanks for reading! :flowers: I'm amazed I didn't find the bottom going through there. Those AC comments sure weren't kidding when they said 'if you feel like you can touch the grass on your port side, then you're in the right spot.

I can see how that would have been a profitable patch for you, hahaha. I did see a lot of towboats out and about, and it made me feel like I was being circled by vultures, lol.

I'm honestly glad I took that route. I know what it looks like now, and I know what to look out for. I took a few lumps and learned a few lessons, and came out no worse off for it. 90 percent of the anxiety is gone, and it remains an option for future passages. I think you're definitely right about taking it in smaller bites next time. I had toyed with the idea of anchoring about halfway along in Dung Thorofare, mostly because of the name, but I got greedy and decided to do it all at once. Next time will be better.

And the best briefings you can get are from tow captains in the area.

On the other hand, we only go outside through that area.

That will still be option number one, but if it looks like a week long wait for a weather window, the ICW remains available.

Don't give that bridge tender another thought. He most likely did not even notice your mast. You know your boat.
Where I saw you was around G449 thinking that was pretty brave for trawler during flounder season. I saw SYLPHIDE on the bow at the last second in passing and beeped the horn. At least you were past the REALLY narrow spot at R452 on the bend. 50 ft wide tops. Plenty of boats of all kinds run aground there. That is an interesting place on the bottom of the tide! :eek:

Y'know, I don't normally like to be immodest, but it did make me feel a little brave, hahaha. I'm pretty sure I was the biggest thing I saw all day, and so was Sylphide! Next time I hope we can share a beverage, sir!

Dave:

Regarding your crowded Saturday cruising inside experience...

A long time ago, Hubby Dan and I adopted a no-cruising-on-Sat/Sun standard. It's a flexible rule, depending on the weather window, but we largely stick to it.

Our "rule" originated in our home port of Tampa Bay. Because the cray-cray boaters, the ones who either don't know the rules of the road or who think the rules don't apply to them, all come out on the weekends. We've observed the same weekend boating behavior everywhere we've been.

Fortunately, we are retired and in no hurry when cruising. It makes sense to us to utilize the weekends to stay at marinas, do laundry, stock up on provisions, and take a breather away from the chartplotter and channel markers. Then get back to it on the weekdays.

Unfortunately, you're not retired yet, so you might not be able to adopt such a standard. Are you trying to make it to a specific marina before your next working shift?

And Thank you Thank you Thanks (!) for the regular updates! I must admit, I am living vicariously through The Adventures of Sylphide right now as we humbly abide the pandemic at our dirt house. Sigh. I miss it all, including the timely advice from AC, the scouting for anchorages, even the cray-cray boaters.

Thanks again (and don't forget to Wash Your Hands),
Mrs. Trombley

P.S. Hoping you can post the obligatory photo of Miz Statue of Liberty when you make it to New York. I always love to see that.

It does get a little better further north, if you didn't already get there yet. Be careful around Long Beach Island. The Point Pleasant Canal can be exciting also when there is a lot of boat traffic. Lots of current and confused seas.

Howdy all,

It's been a minute since I caught this up, but boy oh boy, has it been a busy two weeks. I successfully cleared out my storage locker, and whittled what I wanted to keep down to a few shelves worth of stuff in my mum's basement. The rest of it went to the plague of locusts that swarmed my house for an estate sale. They would have taken the windows and doorknobs if I'd let them. Then, after a cleaning crew hauled out what little was left, and gave the ol' dirt castle a once over with the swiffer, I put her on the market. I accepted a full price offer less than 28 hours after the sign was pounded in. I'm nearly houseless, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Anyhow, back to the action! We join our protagonists at Brigantine, New Jersey. The scene opens to a view of Sylphide gently swinging on her snubber, with a fat bald guy standing on the aft deck scratching himself while he waits for the coffee to brew... and action.

The next day dawned sunny and warm, but the wind continued to blow out of the south. This meant that the seas outside would likely be no better than they had been outside of Cape May, and were probably a little worse. So, I’d be spending another day inside, which was no great hardship. I’d done this stretch inside on the way south in the late fall, and it was a cinch.

By ten o’clock, the anchor was up, and we were underway from Brigantine. The entrance to the lagoon is plenty deep enough, but is famously skinny. Sylphide is about 12.5 feet wide, and felt like she took up the whole channel. The local knowledge says that ‘if you feel like you can reach out and touch the grass on the north side, you’re doing it right,’ so that’s what we did.

There’s a nice little beach on the south side of the entrance, and there were lots of folks out swimming and throwing frisbees. It looked like fun. Part of me wanted to run Sylphide up on the beach and go for a swim, but there were miles to be made, and I didn’t feel like crashing again, even if it was on purpose.

The day’s travel couldn’t have been a more welcome contrast to the day before. There were no opening bridges to wait for. There was way less traffic, and way more water. I don’t think I worried about running aground once all day. It was positively relaxing.

We meandered into the Barnegat Inlet area around three that afternoon. I’d hoped to anchor in the same spot I had last time. Being very late fall, It had been deserted, quiet, and beautiful. That was absolutely not the case this time, though. The traffic had picked up quite a bit as I neared the inlet, and the anchorage was busy AF. There were only seven or eight boats actually anchored there, and there was still room for more, but with all of the weekend traffic zigging and zagging around, It felt like I’d be anchoring in the middle of a highway. So, I decided to find another spot. Option number two was a little south of the first, and was quite a bit smaller. It was also already full of boats, and was home to a fleet of big ass tug boats, so I bailed on that one as well.

anchorages.png

I decided to backtrack a few miles, and find a spot on the western shore of Barnegat Bay. I picked a place just north of the entrance to the Forked River. I wasn’t sure what kind of wind protection I’d get, and the forecast called for wind all night and the next day, but that turned out to be a moot point, as the wind died right off shortly after I set the hook.

It was a beautiful spot. Half of my horizon from northeast to southwest was open water. The other half was low marsh and wooded wilderness. There were some expensive looking houses dotting the shoreline, but none nearby. Aside from some fishermen casually floating past, I had the place to myself. Shortly before sunset, a cruising sailboat called Amygdala dropped her anchor a few hundred yards away, and she turned out to be my only neighbor for the night. The anchorage was dead quiet and flat calm all night long. I slept like a stump.

img_3246.jpeg

I’d half expected to spend a couple of nights in that spot to wait for a weather window, and I really liked the idea of staying a little longer, but the next morning I awoke to more flat calmness. I checked the forecast for the day, and found that my weather window had come early. It was going to be a perfect day for an ocean hop up to New York Harbor.

I got an early start, and we were underway by 0730. An hour later, and we were riding the last of a fair current past Barnegat Light, which I think is one of the finest looking lighthouses around.

img_3248.jpeg

Once we cleared the piers, we were greeted by an absolutely blue bird day. It was sunny and clear, and not too hot. The wind and seas were low and calm, and the ride was magnificently comfortable.

I even managed a feat that I’d been attempting for ages. I actually caught some playful dolphins on film. The video is silent because my color commentary was too... uhh... manly. Yeah. Manly.

It would have been impossible to be in anything other than a great mood. It was one of those days that just fills your soul up, and makes you immensely happy to be where you are, doing exactly what you’re doing. All the doubts and anxiety that I’d felt in this exact spot back in the fall, seemed like something I’d read in a book. Something that belonged to somebody else. I was exactly where I was supposed to be, and it felt great.

By around 2:30 I was nearing Sandy Hook, and the entrance to Lower New York Harbor. I hadn’t really decided whether I was going to anchor inside the Hook at Atlantic Highlands, or if I was going to keep trucking up to the anchorage behind Lady Liberty. My memories of that anchorage weren’t all that great. Despite the world class scenery, my impressions were of a rolly, sloppy, uncomfortable mess. Atlantic Highlands would no doubt be less busy, but it also would have meant a lot of backtracking, both today and tomorrow. Ultimately I decided to press on to Liberty.

I was so glad I did. The big commercial traffic was light, and easily avoided. I managed to get across the Staten Island ferry route without tangling with one, and the rest of the ferries that had plagued me with tidal wakes last time were mercifully absent. The ferry traffic to the statue, and the helicopter tours were also nil. Even the ever present airline traffic that always wreaths the city was nowhere to be seen. It was beautifully quiet, particularly for New York standards. There’s one silver lining to the lockdown at least.

The sunset and the city views were so marvelous on my first night, that I decided to stay for another. With only two cruising days left until I reached my summer home port, I was in no hurry, and was happy to be a part of the New York skyline for a little longer.

img_3273.jpeg

img_3270.jpeg

img_3271.jpg

img_3272.jpeg

img_3288.jpeg

img_3318.jpeg

Sounds like good progress!

Once you get yourself up the Hudson, it's looking like you'll only have about a month before canal travel is an option if you get bored of sitting in one place. Some sections are already open, but it's looking like everything will be by August 10th.

Howdy all,

Anyhow, back to the action! We join our protagonists at Brigantine, New Jersey. The scene opens to a view of Sylphide gently swinging on her snubber, with a fat bald guy standing on the aft deck scratching himself while he waits for the coffee to brew... and action.

Drat!
And I missed another invitation to leave the desert.

While I'm not a city person, I enjoyed the anchorage behind Liberty and the city lights at night. That stretch of water had more sizable traffic than probably any other place I've been. Much prefer going under the George Washington bridge than driving over it.

Ted

Sounds like good progress!

Once you get yourself up the Hudson, it's looking like you'll only have about a month before canal travel is an option if you get bored of sitting in one place. Some sections are already open, but it's looking like everything will be by August 10th.

Should work out nicely! I think I'm going to venture up into Champlain for a week or three. I've never been!

Drat!
And I missed another invitation to leave the desert.

Ha!:thumb:

While I'm not a city person, I enjoyed the anchorage behind Liberty and the city lights at night. That stretch of water had more sizable traffic than probably any other place I've been. Much prefer going under the George Washington bridge than driving over it.

Ted

I agree entirely. That bridge is always a hot mess by car. It's nice to be able to take your time and look around too, which is something you definitely can't do when driving a car in NYC.

Great write up!
What is a good reference that defines the legal anchorage around Liberty?
Just outside the Security Zone, or is there more to it than that?

Great write up!
What is a good reference that defines the legal anchorage around Liberty?
Just outside the Security Zone, or is there more to it than that?

There are cable crossings in the area as well, but otherwise I believe you're good as long as you're outside the security zones for Liberty and Ellis Island

Should work out nicely! I think I'm going to venture up into Champlain for a week or three. I've never been!

That should be a fun trip. It's on my to-do list, but I figure we need 3 - 4 weeks to do it right, and at the moment, that's slightly longer than we can manage in 1 shot due to work.

Depending on your timing coming back down from Champlain and whatever Bacchus is planning, maybe we'll manage to work out the timing for a meetup around Oneida Lake or something. I don't need a ton of advance planning for something like that, as we could make Sylvan Beach (from Rochester) in a day if I push for it (should be about 11 hours, maybe less if I get lucky with lock timing on the Oswego Canal).

Champlain is a great place to cruise. Nice anchorages and Burlington has lots to offer with good transportation available. I hear maritime museum worth a stop. We looked for a mooring but apparently was in the wrong bay and the directions I got were not very helpful. Hope to get back again one of these days.

What's your timing? Be sure to check lock opening schedule as I thought it was Aug some time before you can get to Champlain but same west to Oneida.

Yeah, August 10th is the current date for lock C12. Everything south of that is opening soon or already has though.

That should be a fun trip. It's on my to-do list, but I figure we need 3 - 4 weeks to do it right, and at the moment, that's slightly longer than we can manage in 1 shot due to work.

Depending on your timing coming back down from Champlain and whatever Bacchus is planning, maybe we'll manage to work out the timing for a meetup around Oneida Lake or something. I don't need a ton of advance planning for something like that, as we could make Sylvan Beach (from Rochester) in a day if I push for it (should be about 11 hours, maybe less if I get lucky with lock timing on the Oswego Canal).

Champlain is a great place to cruise. Nice anchorages and Burlington has lots to offer with good transportation available. I hear maritime museum worth a stop. We looked for a mooring but apparently was in the wrong bay and the directions I got were not very helpful. Hope to get back again one of these days.

What's your timing? Be sure to check lock opening schedule as I thought it was Aug some time before you can get to Champlain but same west to Oneida.

Yeah, August 10th is the current date for lock C12. Everything south of that is opening soon or already has though.

Well, I just got back to work, and my schedule has evolved again. I don't know if I'll be able get to Lake Champlain this year after all. Between the scheduled lock openings, and the closing on the house, I'd only have about a week. It would likely take me three days each way to get from Coeymans to Burlington, so it doesn't look too likely. Likewise west to Oneida Lake.

I guess I don't know which direction I'll go. Maybe I'll do some of the Champlain canal, or maybe a short tour of the Mohawk River, or maybe I'll just gunkhole around the Hudson. Maybe some combination of the three. Maybe the canals will open earlier than forecast. Maybe I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time. Maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you. Maybe I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time, and hung me on a line
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you.

I suppose some additional head scratching is in order.

Last edited:
Dave, you said earlier that you needed 22 feet of clearance. There is a low fixed railroad bridge between Troy and Lake C. I can’t remember the clearance but it’s around 18 feet. Some lower.
And west bound you won’t get too far past Waterford for there is a train bridge at 21.5 ft.
http://www.canals.ny.gov/wwwapps/navinfo/navinfo.aspx?waterway=champlain

Last edited:
Dave, you said earlier that you needed 22 feet of clearance. There is a low fixed railroad bridge between Troy and Lake C. I can’t remember the clearance but it’s around 18 feet. Some lower.
And west bound you won’t get too far past Waterford for there is a train bridge at 21.5 ft.
Navigation Information - New York State Canals

You are absolutely correct! I think there are some 17 footers on the Champlain canal. I'd have to fold down the mast before heading north or west for sure. Go Go Gadget Howitzer! I can get the air draft down to less than 14 feet if I duck.

I think I've decided that I'm going to remove the boom semi permanently as well. I have to detach it from the gooseneck whenever I want to lower the mast as it is anyway. I don't expect to do any regular lifting, and I'm also slightly bored with people thinking I'm a sailboat. I'm planning to install a canvas cover over the aft deck, so I want to have the boom and it's associated rigging out of the way.

I'm going to copy Boatpoker's bimini setup.
attachment.php

Also, while I have the mast down, I'd like to install LEDs in the anchor, masthead, and spreader lights.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 34
After two beautiful nights basking in the glow of Lady Liberty, it was time to move along. The longer I stayed staring at the city, the more I wanted to go in and visit. It’s odd enough for me to have such an urge, since we have such a mixed history, but the draw was definitely there. With pandemic and civil unrest still happening though, I decided it would be best not to visit this time around.

So, the anchor was up and we were on our way by about 9:30 AM. We fell in line behind another northbound trawler that I didn’t recognize, but they soon split off toward the east before I could get a picture. We did a slow pass in front of Lady Liberty and Ellis Island, and we rubbernecked the giant yacht that had been anchored nearby.

img_3319.jpeg

img_3323.jpeg

img_3335.jpeg

img_3327.jpeg

Traffic in the river continued to be very quiet all day, which was beyond wonderful. Once clear of the big yacht, we shot across the river toward the Manhattan shoreline, which we hugged. The scenery there is really fantastic. The scale of the city is just so impressive, and it’s an odd feeling to be so close to this vibrant and bustling megalopolis, and not be caught up in the sounds and smells and commotion. It’s like tip toeing past a dragon that’s fast asleep on it’s hoard of gold doubloons.

img_3337.jpeg

img_3360.jpeg

My inner boat nerd is always interested to pass the piers along Manhattan’s west side, where all of my favorite old ocean liners used to hang out. You can still see faded and broken old signs from ‘Cunard Line,’ ‘French Line’ and ‘United States Lines,’ If I’d been born a hundred years earlier, I might have worked here.

67ef01b00c2d4bf46b33e88e6c89b883.jpg

Liner Row in the ’60s

img_3339.jpeg

We continued to hug the Manhattan shoreline, past what is decidedly not a frying pan, despite it’s claims to the contrary. It looked a lot more like a lightship to me, but who am I to say? Maybe we’re all just frying pans, trying to convince ourselves and each other that we’re not.

We passed the USS Intrepid museum slow and close. I’ve never actually been there, but I really need to go sometime soon. There’s so much stuff there that I’d love to see. You can see the new enclosure for the Space Shuttle Enterprise on Intrepid’s flight deck, and a British Airways Concorde on the barge next door.

img_3349.jpeg

img_3356.jpeg

Before long we passed under the absolutely massive George Washington Bridge, with it’s 604 foot tall towers, which is always a hell of a thing to see. I much prefer driving under this one at 7 knots, with my feet up on the dash, and plenty of time to look around. Making the trip over in a land yacht tends to be a much more harrowing and expensive experience.

img_3363.jpeg

img_3366.jpeg

Above the GW bridge, the city skyline gets a lot shorter, and the horizon is dominated by natural features instead. The New Jersey Palisades climb up to nearly 550 feet at their tallest, and look like a temperate version of ‘The Wall’ from Game of Thrones. I wandered over toward the Jersey side of the river for this stretch, mostly for the scenery, but also to reduce the odds of meeting any deep draft commercial traffic.

img_3373.jpeg

img_3389.jpeg

The next point of interest came in the form of the shiny new Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge. It had still been under construction on my way south, but is now complete. It was also a much more pleasant and pretty day this time. It’s a fine looking bridge, especially compared to the ol’ Tappan Zee it replaced. I’ve been under this one twice now, and still haven’t crossed over it yet.

img_3397.jpeg

img_3407.jpeg

A few hours of quiet and pleasant steaming brought us to the World’s End, a narrow ‘S’ shaped gorge in the river. It’s the deepest point in the river, at over 200 feet. Steep banks and sheer cliffs rise high on either side of the river, making for some really incredible scenery. Perched on a bluff in the middle of the gorge is West Point Military Academy, with it’s severe ‘castle fortress’ looking campus.

img_3417.jpeg

I also passed this fine looking Pilgrim 40, living her best life anchored all on her own in a picture postcard perfect spot.

img_3416.jpeg

We found ourselves anchoring a short time later, at the same place we’d anchored on the way south. It had been a good spot, with lovely scenery, no traffic, and good holding. I was happy to use it again.

This time was a different story, though. The wind had been forecast out of the Southwest, and with a mountain to the southwest of us, I figured we’d have plenty of shelter. I was wrong. What actually happened was quite the opposite. The tall banks on either side of the river effectively funneled the wind directly at me. I didn’t have an anemometer, but I’m pretty confident that there were regular gusts over 40 miles per hour that night. The seas were also a lot more than I’d have expected or hoped for, and it made for a very pitchy and rolly night. I was glad I’d put out a hurricane appropriate 10:1 scope of anchor chain, but I still didn’t sleep well that night.

To add to the excitement, my dumb ass decided to spill water all over my laptop for the first time ever. It dutifully shut down, and refused to start again. I took advantage of the howling wind tunnel, and set the machine up to dry out, which eventually worked, though a few of my keys still don’t work quite right.

I went to bed early in a bit of a mood, so I was up early the next morning. The wind had died down some, and the fitful sleep had helped my mood a little, but I was keen to up anchor and get the hell out of there as soon as possible. It was as well that I’d gotten an early start, since my summer destination was about 65 miles away, which is a long day for Sylphide. Thankfully we caught a fair current up the river, though the rest of the weather was pretty crummy that morning. It was gray and windy, and it rained like hell for hours and hours. It was the sort of day that I’d normally spend moored up somewhere cozy and safe, but this time I was glad to be moving.

The weather eventually let up, and it turned into a really lovely afternoon. The sun came out, and the temperature soared. The rest of the trip was quiet, smooth, and uneventful.

img_3426.jpeg

I don’t remember what this light is called, so we’ll call it Doug.

My original plan was to get all the way to Oneida Lake this time around. It would have been the most convenient place to visit family and friends, and also an ideal home base from which to finish the downsizing process, and get my house sold. This year though, the NY State Canals wouldn’t be open on time, so I decided to pick a home for myself on the Hudson instead, since that was about as close to home as I’d get. Coeymans Landing had been my home back in the fall, and it had been a good choice, so I decided to go back. The mailbox was set up by 1900 that night, and we were home.

img_3430.jpeg

I’m not sure what the summer’s cruising will be. Maybe a Hudson trip, maybe a Champlain canal or Mohawk River trip? Who knows. For now, It’s time to go back to work, so I can save up some ducats for a new radar. And a new dinghy. And a canvas cover for the back porch. And for the windows. And maybe some weather cloths. And an air conditioner. Maybe two air conditioners. And a partridge in a pear tree.

Really enjoyed the fast paced journey up the Hudson. Never been farther up it than to Brooklyn when I was conning USS IOWA up to our berth near the Brooklyn Bridge in 1985 or 86.

Really enjoyed the fast paced journey up the Hudson. Never been farther up it than to Brooklyn when I was conning USS IOWA up to our berth near the Brooklyn Bridge in 1985 or 86.

I enjoyed it a lot more this time around too. I imagine it was a lot less stressful on Sylphide than it was on your battlewagon.

Back
Top Bottom