The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A raccoon burrowing into a trashcan? Now that's a description of anchor interface with the bottom I would be pleased to see in the boring anchor rodeos put on by various boater magazines form time to time!

Rolly, roly? You work your tired gray matter too hard sometimes, Dave. It's RUFF.

Coincidence:
I'm sitting in Church Creek 2 waiting for tomorrow's blow and rain while reading your latest offering. It was nice to get a chance to scope the place out at near high tide (7') for a change. Place is starting to fill with lightning arrestors in anticipationof tomorrow's weather. Should you return, mother nature and the tides have done some dredging.

Ted

Great post Dave. Thanks for the chuckles.

I second the suggestion for you to write a book. You already write much better than most of the cruising-related novels I’ve read, like the Trawler Trash series by Ed somebody.

Last edited:
Why don’t you give up being a ship’s captain and write a book? I’d buy it.

Maybe someday! :flowers::flowers:

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner has competition, updated of course.

WHO IS HE!? ILL FIGHT EM!

A raccoon burrowing into a trashcan? Now that's a description of anchor interface with the bottom I would be pleased to see in the boring anchor rodeos put on by various boater magazines form time to time!

Rolly, roly? You work your tired gray matter too hard sometimes, Dave. It's RUFF.

I love words! :smitten:

Coincidence:
I'm sitting in Church Creek 2 waiting for tomorrow's blow and rain while reading your latest offering. It was nice to get a chance to scope the place out at near high tide (7') for a change. Place is starting to fill with lightning arrestors in anticipation of tomorrow's weather. Should you return, mother nature and the tides have done some dredging.

Ted

Haha, lightning arrestors, I love it. It's a nice spot, I'd definitely like to stop there again.

Great post Dave. Thanks for the chuckles.

I second the suggestion for you to write a book. You already write much better than most of the cruising-related novels I’ve read, like the Trawler Trash series by Ed somebody.

Thank you Dude! Y'all are too kind :flowers:

This might have been covered in the thread already, didn't read it all, but I hope Dave is saving these posts somewhere other than just posting on TF. No internet forum can stay alive forever (I know, perish the thought). It would be a shame to have all that great writing disappear into the Internet Ozone someday. No offense Joshua Slocum, but Dave's posts are more fun.

Wifey B: I'll tell you what I love so about Dave's posts and for any of you who haven't read the whole story, please go back and do so. Dave made me feel invested in him and his boating. He engaged us from the beginning. He shared when things weren't going as well as he wished. I wanted more than anything, as did others here, to help him and he listened and turned it all around and now his boating is dreamy to us all. Mostly, he found his way. That's something we all must do. One area he got thrown at him was DIY and that can be so overwhelming. I know I'd be overwhelmed. Dave found his right balance. Dave is so real, his emotions flow through his writing. He's just one honest, decent, funny man you love being around, even if it's only virtually. He's worked hard and now enjoying some of the fruits of his labors when he can. And I can't imagine the boating and cruising world has a better ambassador than Dave as he cruises and meets people along the way. :D

This might have been covered in the thread already, didn't read it all, but I hope Dave is saving these posts somewhere other than just posting on TF. No internet forum can stay alive forever (I know, perish the thought). It would be a shame to have all that great writing disappear into the Internet Ozone someday. No offense Joshua Slocum, but Dave's posts are more fun.

I post them on my own site too (Link in my signature) :D. I could never hope to better Slocum. He was a better writer, and a better seaman than I'll ever be. He also taught me not to eat cheese and plums together, for fear that I might become delirious and hallucinate a phantom helmsman. :thumb:

Wifey B: I'll tell you what I love so about Dave's posts and for any of you who haven't read the whole story, please go back and do so. Dave made me feel invested in him and his boating. He engaged us from the beginning. He shared when things weren't going as well as he wished. I wanted more than anything, as did others here, to help him and he listened and turned it all around and now his boating is dreamy to us all. Mostly, he found his way. That's something we all must do. One area he got thrown at him was DIY and that can be so overwhelming. I know I'd be overwhelmed. Dave found his right balance. Dave is so real, his emotions flow through his writing. He's just one honest, decent, funny man you love being around, even if it's only virtually. He's worked hard and now enjoying some of the fruits of his labors when he can. And I can't imagine the boating and cruising world has a better ambassador than Dave as he cruises and meets people along the way. :D

Please, go on! lol
giphy.gif

But seriously, thank you for the extremely kind words. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without the copious amounts of wisdom that this forum offers, and without the considerable support that all of you gorgeous people have given me. :smitten:

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." -Issac 'The Widowmaker' Newton

Dave,

I posted on your site the other day and I can honestly say that I have no idea how I did that. I think I got an email notifying me that someone posted and I assumed it was from TF, but I think it was your blog spot. I assume I can get there by clicking on "The Adventures of Sylphide"? Sorry if this post makes me look old, but if you are nice to me I will send you two dollars on your birthday and let you sit on my plastic covered sofa. :)
Bill

Dave,

I posted on your site the other day and I can honestly say that I have no idea how I did that. I think I got an email notifying me that someone posted and I assumed it was from TF, but I think it was your blog spot. I assume I can get there by clicking on "The Adventures of Sylphide"? Sorry if this post makes me look old, but if you are nice to me I will send you two dollars on your birthday and let you sit on my plastic covered sofa. :)
Bill

Hahaha, yes you did! Tell ya what, throw in a couple of Werther's Originals and we've got a deal.

The link in my signature line will take you to my site, and the email you got was probably just about the reply I left to your comment.

I wonder if I can get a nice clear plastic cover for my settee... :oldman:

Dave,

Bill

Yup, Bill, you are a BOOMER!

If you open your email and observe a notification of a new Adventures of Sylphide, your choice is to either immediately read it to enjoy Dave's latest or to savor it in your own time after clearing the other distracting posts- there is no middle ground.

"No offense Joshua Slocum, but Dave's posts are more fun."

More fun than spreading tacks on deck to keep barefoot visitors at bay

It is practically March and I got an itch that needs to be scratched! I offer up a couple bucks and some noisy furniture and he is off to God knows where. Somebody needs to crawl out of the bilge of that laker and pay some attention to his fans. Well................we're waiting! (insert Ted Knight on the 18th green of Bushwood CC). Bill

It is practically March and I got an itch that needs to be scratched! I offer up a couple bucks and some noisy furniture and he is off to God knows where. Somebody needs to crawl out of the bilge of that laker and pay some attention to his fans. Well................we're waiting! (insert Ted Knight on the 18th green of Bushwood CC). Bill

+1 on that sentiment. I am in need of a fix…

+2. Those of us with boats sitting on frozen ground would love some good cruising stories!

+2. Those of us with boats sitting on frozen ground would love some good cruising stories!

Particularly today. We had an ice storm so I could not even go to the barn and work on my boat. My dog and I went out to get the mail, which was hours later than normal, and the dog immediately went back to the door to get back inside. Usually we have to call him several times before he will come inside

Yeh Dave, you can't just get us all hooked on your saga then cut us off cold turkey! It's inhumane, rude, and just plain mean!:(

Sorry; pretty conventional winter sailboat itinerary. ICW to ft laud. Clear at bimini, watch a homemade pontoon boat show up there[emoji15]. From the keys.
Then chub, nassau, highborne, normans, guana, georgetown, back to nassau, moving soon up to sw abaco, then length of grand bahama, jump from w end to ft pierce. Then ponce. Vulcan held in 2 gales. Vero and again at normans. Lots of very large corporate “ships” out here.
So far, most expensive dockage is $6.5 per foot per nite. We anchor out. Currently have a couple of 3’ remoras under the boat. In site of jaws beach.

Repairs at sea: One starter motor, fresh water pump pressure switch, carb rebuild on dink with new tank hoses, glow plug and starter relays with increasingly poor connections, propane oven running cold. Not too bad. Oh, also lost one alternator. 2 months old. Burned up likely due to Li bank. RIP.

Diving highlight: dove oven rock cave. 600’ penetration. 77 deg salt water. Took the previous day to carry gear from boats, beach, woods, grotto. Daughter and wife dove 3 wrecks, tugs and a oil tanker.

Last edited:
This thing on my watch says 7/22 and I think that means it is July 22nd, but I could be wrong as I was once back in the 1970's. Dave, I know a Lakers work is never done, but the earth is starting to slow its rotation over the sadness we all feel in not hearing from you. Time to check in Admiral. Please. Bill

This thing on my watch says 7/22 and I think that means it is July 22nd, but I could be wrong as I was once back in the 1970's. Dave, I know a Lakers work is never done, but the earth is starting to slow its rotation over the sadness we all feel in not hearing from you. Time to check in Admiral. Please. Bill

Glad you asked! I was beginning to wonder too!

We've been to Alaska and partway back, still waiting for Dave to continue his saga! Looking forward to next year in the Fall when the plan is to head South to SOC and warmer water . . . I grew up diving in Puget Sound in the 70's and early 80's, but due to global warming, etc the water in Puget Sound, San Juans, and Canada has gotten much colder:whistling: in the last 45 or so years . . . It couldn't possibly be any other reason.
Anyway, SOC, Panama, then through the ditch into Caribbean to the Bahama's is on the ticket for next year. :D
Still waiting for my fix of Silli time!:confused:

Yeh Dave, you can't just get us all hooked on your saga then cut us off cold turkey! It's inhumane, rude, and just plain mean!:(

Oh hey gang. Boy, it’s been a minute. I hope you’re all doing well.

A thousand apologies for my disappearance. Rumors of my demise have been somewhat exaggerated. My work schedule still stinks, so that’s still taking up the lion’s share of my time. I also have an adorable new nephew, and I’ve been enjoying playing Uncle Dave as much as I can. What little free time remains has been spent with a special someone I’ve met in some recent non boat related travels. He’s pretty cute too, actually.

The result of all of that good news is that I haven’t had much time for Sylphide in quite a while now.

I’m not really sure how that’s going to pan out from here. At present, I’m still paying a lot to store and maintain and insure her, but I’m really not getting much out of the deal. It’s not an ideal situation, and doesn’t seem likely to change anytime soon.

It may be time to move on to the next chapter. I may decide to sell. I dunno. I have much considering to do. Anyway, that’s what’s going on in Daveland.

As always, thank you for the kind words and support. You guys know how to make a guy feel missed, and I appreciate it bigly.

Now Just A Minute.
Here you get us hooked on a regular fix from Sylphide, so you can't just cut us loose. Where will we go? Nobody else has given us the same kind of humourous travelogue. Cant you bring your new nephew along for the ride, and your other new and important friend? How will they survive without at least a weekly fix of Dave on Sylphide?

Love conquers all!

But don`t be hasty selling Sylphide before you introduce her and your special someone.
Always thought cruising a pleasure boat while working as a Captain was what we call " a busman`s holiday", where job and relaxation/hobby/pastime are very similar, but it seemed to work for you.

Even if there's no big travels with Sylphide for a while, depending on where in the world your other activities have been taking you, could you move Sylphide to a more convenient place for use?

Congratulations Dave! Glad to hear that all's well with you. Thanks for the update.

Perhaps try getting him to enroll in a Power Squadrons course??

Dave,

I'll send you our address. Please enclose the current location of the boat, the keys, and current documentation/registration/insurance info. We'll take it from there. Oh, also a credit card with a minimum of $25k credit limit for fuel and incidentals. I'll take care of keeping the moorage up, fuel tanks full, etc. :thumb: (using your credit card, of course). That way, you only have to take care of one item a month. I'll start a roster here for other Sylphide aficionados, and we can work out a schedule for usage.

We're such nice guys here, I occasionally hurt my arm trying to pat myself on the back.
Oh, and don't worry about not being able to use your boat Dave, you'll just need to get on the list.

P.S. I've already signed up for January and part of February!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom