The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave,

As I have not heard from you until your most recent post I went ahead and performed a ceremonial burial at sea for you. So technically you are...how do you say.... Dead to me! Just kidding. I can perform a ceremonial reversal for the modest sum of....................one aluminum trawler. Just kidding again. No rash decisions please. Love can make people do silly things like sell a boat, or even sillier, buy one. I wish you the very best regardless of your decisions. You should seriously consider putting your writing/comedic talents to continued good use. Your writing style removes the stink from every day life and nothing could be in greater need at this particular time in our American journey (regardless of any particular affiliation). Funny is funny and you are funny. Not funny in a peculiar or strange way mind you, but in the sense of making one laugh. Not laugh at you, but with you of course. So any who, I'll stop now while I'm behind. I'm gonna egg your freighter the next time you are in Detroit. Good luck cleaning that off after a trip to Duluth. Bill

Love conquers all!

But don`t be hasty selling Sylphide before you introduce her and your special someone.
Always thought cruising a pleasure boat while working as a Captain was what we call " a busman`s holiday", where job and relaxation/hobby/pastime are very similar, but it seemed to work for you.

When I had the time and was untethered, it worked out really well. Hopefully I'll have the time again someday, but I'm hoping to be tethered for a long while. We'll see how it goes :)

Even if there's no big travels with Sylphide for a while, depending on where in the world your other activities have been taking you, could you move Sylphide to a more convenient place for use?

It's a possibility. I could move her up to the Great Lakes and keep her as a summertime cruiser.

Congratulations Dave! Glad to hear that all's well with you. Thanks for the update.

Perhaps try getting him to enroll in a Power Squadrons course??

He's not at all opposed to spending time on the boat, in fact I think he'd enjoy it. The full time liveaboard aspect probably wouldn't work out, though.

Dave,

I'll send you our address. Please enclose the current location of the boat, the keys, and current documentation/registration/insurance info. We'll take it from there. Oh, also a credit card with a minimum of $25k credit limit for fuel and incidentals. I'll take care of keeping the moorage up, fuel tanks full, etc. :thumb: (using your credit card, of course). That way, you only have to take care of one item a month. I'll start a roster here for other Sylphide aficionados, and we can work out a schedule for usage.

We're such nice guys here, I occasionally hurt my arm trying to pat myself on the back.
Oh, and don't worry about not being able to use your boat Dave, you'll just need to get on the list.

P.S. I've already signed up for January and part of February!:dance:

Oh you hero! Why didn't you say so?! All of my problems have been wiped out! WIPED OUT, I TELL YA! lol.

Dave,

As I have not heard from you until your most recent post I went ahead and performed a ceremonial burial at sea for you. So technically you are...how do you say.... Dead to me! Just kidding. I can perform a ceremonial reversal for the modest sum of....................one aluminum trawler. Just kidding again. No rash decisions please. Love can make people do silly things like sell a boat, or even sillier, buy one. I wish you the very best regardless of your decisions. You should seriously consider putting your writing/comedic talents to continued good use. Your writing style removes the stink from every day life and nothing could be in greater need at this particular time in our American journey (regardless of any particular affiliation). Funny is funny and you are funny. Not funny in a peculiar or strange way mind you, but in the sense of making one laugh. Not laugh at you, but with you of course. So any who, I'll stop now while I'm behind. I'm gonna egg your freighter the next time you are in Detroit. Good luck cleaning that off after a trip to Duluth. Bill

Aww thanks bill, you sweetheart. Honestly nothing would make me happier than to have you come out and egg us! And I am kinda funny in a strange and peculiar way, no offense taken!

Now Just A Minute.
Here you get us hooked on a regular fix from Sylphide, so you can't just cut us loose. Where will we go? Nobody else has given us the same kind of humourous travelogue. Cant you bring your new nephew along for the ride, and your other new and important friend? How will they survive without at least a weekly fix of Dave on Sylphide?

Lucky for you I'm a good year behind in my blog posts, and I have every intention to write up the whole thing, regardless of what happens next, even if it takes me ten more years! :thumb:

When and why did Dave get busted back to 'Guru' from 'Swamp Commander Supreme'?

51. The Georgia Lowlands

Boy, it’s been a while. Last time I wrote anything here, Betty White and the Delta Variant were still around. Hell, I think I still had hair back then. I’ve got some catching up to do. Time to do some homework, and start eating this elephant one bite at a time.

giphy.gif

After Beaufort, I took about four days to gunkhole my way down through the Georgia lowlands. A lot of folks don’t like this part of the ICW, and take the outside route. It would certainly be faster on the outside. The inside path so squirmy and curvy that the chart looks like a bowl of ramen noodles. There are also some fairly restrictive anchoring rules in this area. I was slightly concerned about this, since there were some long stretches between ports, and anchoring seemed like it might be necessary. At the end of the day, I was there to explore, and I didn’t have to be anywhere in particular by any date in particular, so off down the wiggly path I went.

I made it to the excellently named Thunderbolt Marina on the first day, and moored in the long shadows of some superyachts. I felt small and poor and insignificant among them, especially when it came time to get rid of my trash. I spent more time than I care to admit pathetically wandering around the yard with my sad sack, trailing a thin line of wet coffee grounds, trying to find the stupid dumpster. For whatever reason, it came out in a feeble English accent when I asked a yard worker ‘Please sir, where is the dumpster? I’m so very cold and hungry.’ It wasn’t actually hard to find at all, but I’d somehow managed to take every wrong turn that was available to me. It did mean that I got a more thorough tour of the shipyard than I would have otherwise, and I was pretty impressed by it. It’s certainly a different class of facility than the boatyards I’m used to. Someday when the gold leaf starts to wear on the toilet seat of my megayacht, I’ll be sure to keep these folks in mind.

IMG_5281.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

Everything’s bigger in Thunderbolt.

Regrettably, my sojourn through the shipyard was the majority of what I saw of Savannah this time around. I was keen to get farther south, and only stopped for the night. I knew I’d have another opportunity to explore on the way back north, so I didn’t feel too bad about it.

The next day was spent negotiating forty-odd miles of ICW switchbacks. The weather was gray and cool and hazy, and there was enough wind to kick up some slop on the broader reaches of open water. I anchored in the remote Wahoo River, nestled behind some tall trees in an armpit shaped cove on the south side of Wahoo Island. The place was utterly deserted. My only company was a single lonely crab pot buoy that bobbed around a few hundred feet away, and it didn’t have much to say. In fact there was almost nothing at all to be heard. It was as still and silent as a place with an atmosphere could be. I was beginning to wonder if I’d suddenly gone deaf, when I realized that the sound of dinner gently simmering on the stove was practically echoing off the trees.

Shortly after I’d gotten settled, my boss gave me a call. He asked where I was, and when I told him, he said he had no idea I was such a hermit. I told him I wasn’t, and that I was just trying my damnedest to hide from him, apparently without much success. Thankfully he didn’t fire me, or worse call me back to work, so I rigged up my permanently temporary six dollar checkout lane impulse buy anchor light, and called it a night.

The following morning brought a blanket of fog thicker than cold peanut butter. I decided to stay put until it cleared, but it never really did. We ended up staying another night on the Wahoo. The complete stillness and absolute quiet continued through the second night, but the addition of fog gave the place an eerie quality. It kinda creeped me out, if I’m honest. Thankfully no creatures crawled up the anchor chain to hide under my bed and grab my feet. Sylphide and I slept well.

IMG_4357.jpeg

The next morning, most of the fog finally burned off. There were still a few ragged patches wafting by from time to time, but I figured it would be clear enough to get moving. I fired up all of the necessary machinery, and warmed up the radar, just in case the fog decided to come back.

It did. Not right away of course, and not all at once. It would creep in, then clear up, then sock right back in again. It was like a cat trying to decide if it wanted to be inside or outside, while I stood there holding the door like a rube. Wave after wave of abject blindness came and went, my anxiety level adjusting to match. It wouldn’t have been as stressful if we’d been navigating a big wide open sound, but most of the path was narrow, shallow, and very curvy. There were plenty of times when the muddy banks were less than fifty feet away on either side, and I never saw a damn bit of it. I was flying blind, relying entirely on my instruments to keep out of the ditch. If someone had been coming the other way around a corner without AIS, I never would have known.

Eventually, after about 25 miles of white knuckle driving with my eyes closed, using nothing but the force and some curb feelers to navigate, I realized I wasn’t getting paid enough for that kind of work. I picked a spot on the Altamaha River, just north of Little St. Simon’s Island, and anchored up. Almost immediately, the sun came out, the temperature climbed to a perfect 75 degrees, and it turned into an absolutely beautiful day. For about a thousandth of a second, I considered getting back underway, but figured it was probably that stupid cat playing tricks on me again. Brunswick would still be there tomorrow, and I’d had enough adventure for one day. Besides, now that it was visible, the anchorage revealed itself to be quite pleasant. We spent a comfortable day and night swinging around at the end of our chain.

After a restful stop, Sylphide and I were ready to begin our final assault on Brunswick, Georgia. The weather was quite comfortable, and mercifully transparent. This last leg was as curvy as the previous few days had been, and it made me glad I hadn’t attempted these last twenty miles in the fog of the previous day.

The first thing I saw of the Brunswick skyline was the utterly massive VB10000. Two years prior to my arrival, the MV Golden Ray, a 71,000 ton car carrier, was making her way out of St. Simon’s sound toward open sea, when she suffered a catastrophic loss of stability. She rolled over and sank. It’s amazing that no lives were lost in the process, but the ship and cargo were declared a total loss. Now the wreck was being removed, and the VB ten billion was the machine they were using to do the job. The towering structure was carving up the ruined ship like the Grinch carved the roast beast at Cindy Lou Who’s house on Christmas.

IMG_4364.jpeg

The operation was off my route, but I took a detour to rubberneck. It was quite an impressive sight, despite the deteriorating weather conditions. There were dozens of boats of all description arrayed around the wreck, tugs, barges, crane barges, crew boats, security boats, survey boats, banana boats, gravy boats, and possibly even a U-Boat. I wasn’t sure about that last one, so I proceeded at flank speed in a zig-zag pattern just to be safe.

After I’d satisfied my curiosity, I hauled around and pointed back in toward Brunswick. As I closed in on the great big Sidney Lanier Bridge, a tug hauling a barge load of smashed up cars from the wreck was overtaking me. I wasn’t sure where she was going, so I did a big loop out of the channel to stay out of her way. She took a right and made her way up the channel toward town, and I followed a few steps behind. As the tug maneuvered toward her dock, I could see Brunswick Landing Marina just up ahead. After a quick chat with the dockmaster to get my slip assignment, and a few minutes to adjust my lines, I shoehorned Sylphide into her new parking spot on dock 13.

IMG_4449.jpeg

Brunswick was never on my bucket list of places to see, and I never intended to stay there for long, but I’d been on the move for a while, and found myself needing a break. The marina there was a good one, with nice docks, some excellent neighbors, and free beer in the clubhouse. I also had some work obligations coming, so I decided to just call Brunswick Landing home for what I expected would be a few weeks. As is my custom, my stay would end up being quite a lot longer than that, but I’ll save that for the next installment. See you again in a few years!

Such an excellent post, Dave. Thank you.

Dave:

Great shot of the Golden Ray and the "VB ten billion!" You certainly have a way with words, my friend.

The nighttime photo of Sylphide is so pleasant and inviting, if I were walking down the dock I'd hail the owner in the hope of learning more about that beautiful boat.

Warm Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Hello Friends,

As some of you have probably already seen, I've decided to list Sylphide for sale.

She's been my home for the last three years, and we've taken pretty good care of each other through many adventures and misadventures in that time. There are lots of places I'd meant to go, and experiences I'd meant to have with her, and of course I'd just gotten her to the level of comfort that I'd wanted all along, but life has taken me in a different direction. A better direction. I've just gotten settled into a new nest, in a new city, with someone I love. I'm excited about the future, and very much looking forward to a new kind of adventure.

Being a full time liveaboard cruiser was a dream of mine for a long time, and I'm beyond lucky to have had the chance to do it for a while. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'm also extremely lucky to have had a group of excellent people here to share my adventures with. Writing about my travels has been one of my favorite parts of the last few years. Thank you all so much for reading, and for your knowledge and wisdom, and for your kindness and encouragement. I would likely never have had this experience if it wasn't for the good folks of TF.

I do still intend to write up some more blog posts if I ever get around to it, so I don't expect to disappear from the site by any means.

Dave, although I'm sad that you're selling Sylphide, and I, and many others will miss your crazy stories, I wish you and yours the very best in this new year, as you find new challenges that will stimulate you and lead to new adventures!
And who knows, maybe there will be a Sylphide II in your future. Take care and God Bless
Scot K

I will absolutely miss your posts. They were some of the best ones here. While we will all be sorry to see the boat go, I am sure I can speak for everyone here and wish you well in your new life.

Yeah, I'm only going to say what others have said: I'll miss you here. Do please give us glimpses of your new life via your blog, if you feel inclined (and post a note here, so subscribers get informed). If I were in the US, I'd buy Sylphide today. There are no vessels like her in our area (or North, or South). Best of luck with the sale, and with what the future brings.

Even in boatless form we're all more than happy to keep you around! Heck, a thread of shipping stories would probably keep us all glued to our screens.

Good luck with the next steps in life and hopefully Sylphide finds a worthy new owner.

I wish you the best of luck as you turn to the next chapter, Dave!

Dave, best of luck on the sale. I hope the first potential buyer to see her, snags her immediately. If you need a shoulder to cry on when she sells, we're all here for you.

My dear, you're a consummate old salt now and belong here. Really hope you can find the time to pitch in with your inimitable, whimsical commentary now and then.

Warm Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Best of luck in all your new adventures Dave. Thanks for entertaining us!

I want to share my favorite Dave passage:

"As I pulled in a little before a lovely sunset, it had gone calm and quiet. Extremely quiet, in fact. It was the kind of quiet that makes your breathing sound loud, and the clicks of your phone' keyboard echo off the walls of faraway buildings. I bet if I'd stepped on a cat's tail, or dropped a glass, then the whole place would have shattered into a billion tiny little pieces, and then a wormhole would have opened up, and all of the tiny little pieces would be drawn through into another dimension and reassembled into an exquisite Art Deco wall sconce."

Takes my breath away, Dave, your ability to describe a moment similar to one I have experienced. You have a way with words that is ethereal and yet, self-deprecating. While you are very serious about boat life, you know, deep in your bones, that each one of us are mere specks on this mortal coil.

I know that I need to be reminded of that occasionally. Thank you.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Greetings,
Mrs. T. I've thought for a couple of days on how to wish Dave well. Yes, a wordsmith extrordiaire...

All the best in the future Dave.

Very Kindest Regards...

Dave
I like others wish you well in all you do.
Please continue to post here about your adventures, even if land based.
I hope you keep a TF bugee above your computer as a reminder of your time afloat and the pleasure of being part of its creation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom