Old 02-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #301
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That new avatar will make a great boat card, too! (That's a non-sticky CRM or sticker to the newbies .)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #302
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. HW. Yup. The J-A part pretty well describes Jimmy Buffet IMO.
Too bad. Perhaps Bach?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #303
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. When I saw this, I thought of your previous avatar:

Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #304
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That new avatar will make a great boat card, too! (That's a non-sticky CRM or sticker to the newbies .)
If I ever run out of my current boat cards, that will most assuredly be on the new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. W. When I saw this, I thought of your previous avatar:

Thank you for reminding me. I have a box of hundreds of self adhesive googly eyes in my truck's center console. I'm not 100% sure I have jumper cables, but I KNOW I have those.

I must remember to get them and bring them with me next time I'm home.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #305
Guru

Craptain's log, stardate 2/4/20.

Life has been good aboard Sylphide since my last post. We departed Bofurt on a gray Friday morning, and enjoyed a relaxed cruise down to Mile Hammock Bay. I'm very pleased to report that we made it through the firing range at Camp Lejeune without being shot more than a handful of times.

The Mantus splashed down just as the rain started. The anchorage was extremely quiet. There was only one other boat there, a forty something foot sailboat with a mostly naked aluminum hull. I gave a friendly shout over, and discovered that my neighbor had come from France. After a short chat, the rain picked up, and we both retreated to the coziness of our cabins. I thoroughly enjoyed my night at anchor.

The next day dawned, and so began the trek to Wrightsville Beach. It was another gray day, as has come to be the default for this winter cruise. Intermittent light rain mixed with short spits of heavy drizzle came and went throughout the day. I broke out the bird ID app, and met some of my neighbors. The ubiquitous gulls, cormorants, and herons are now being joined by more and more pelicans, and more loons than you can shake a stick at.

Active Captain tells me that I should try to time the Figure Eight Bridge for the top of the hour opening, so that I wouldn't need to rush to catch the Wrightsville Beach Bridge, which only opens on the hour.

I thoroughly failed to take this advice. I arrived at Figure Eight at quarter after, loitered for fifteen minutes, and got through on the half hour. I decided to try and make the four or so miles to the next one in the allotted 30 minutes. A tall order for this slow coach. I rousted ol' Perkins out of his hammock, and prodded him along to a dizzying speed of... well... I'm not sure how many RPMs, since the tachometer only works on even days. Judging by the sound and feel, I'm guessing somewhere over 2,000 revs. We rocketed along at over eight knots, and it was exhilarating! The wind in my hair! The bees in my teeth! I FELT SO ALIVE!

But then my fun was spoiled by a tugboat, who just kinda ambled out into the middle of the channel, sat across it sideways, and didn't answer his radio. Not really knowing what this jerk was up to, I just sat there on my thumbs, and waited for him to figure out what to do with himself. A few minutes later, another tug wandered out with a long section of dredge pipe, and started dragging it up the river.

Now that my chances of making the next bridge opening were thoroughly vanquished, I clutched her ahead, and idled the rest of the way, secretly hoping that I was inconveniencing the tugs as I lazily trundled past them.

I missed my opening by about ten minutes, and ended up driving in circles for more than 45, which couldn't have bothered me less.

I got tied up at Wrightsville Beach marina a little after three in the afternoon, just before my father rolled into town. He'd finished up his visit to Florida, and was bound for the frozen north again. He'd be leaving his car in Wrightsville, and riding with me for a couple of days.

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Bluewater Grill next to the marina, and spent the rest of the night hanging out on the boat, catching up.

Our trip down to Southport would be a nice short one, so we slept in a bit, and enjoyed some breakfast and coffee before getting underway around 10. The sun was out, and it was warm enough to open some doors, which made for a wonderful cruising day. We saw quite a few dolphins along the way, which excited us both muchly. We caught a fair tide through snow's cut, and were practically on plane at 8.5 knots. That was averaged out when we found ourselves pushing against a 2 knot incoming tide on the Cape Fear River. Combined with a stiff breeze out of the SW, we dipped below five knots on a few occasions, and at one point, we could have played a game of risk in the amount of time it took us to pass a buoy. We were enjoying the ride though, and life could do with a few more obvious opportunities for a long game of Risk.

Dad was characteristically nervous on the 'big water' of the Cape Fear river, and we spent some time adjusting life jackets, and going over where the flares are stowed, and how to call for help on the radio. I calmed his nerves with an offering of smoked gouda.

Eventually Southport Marina hove into view, and we ventured in. Our assigned slip was around a couple of tight corners, and it became clear as I made my way into the first fairway, that with the wind blowing as hard as it was, I wouldn't be making the attempt. Thankfully the dock staff saw that, and offered me a spot on the fuel dock. This was fortunate, because Sylphide seemed set on going there whether I wanted her to or not. We pressed our hooters into the dock, and were pinned there for the rest of the night.

Dad and I decided to head back up to Wrightsville Beach to get his car and bring it back, so that he could depart directly from Southport. We detoured through Wilmington and had a look around. The USS North Carolina Museum was closed by the time we got there, but we learned what we could from Wikipedia in the parking lot with some stray cats. On the recommendation of our taxi driver, which was backed up by over a thousand good reviews on the interwebs, we decided to go to a place called Casey's for dinner.

This turned out to be a pretty memorable experience. This place was hands down, no question, by far, the most disgusting restaurant either of us had ever been to. It was filthy. The tables were dirty. The plates were almost all chipped and worn. The carpets were no less than five different colors, and looked as thought they had never been cleaned. No two chairs in the place matched. The buffet was a train wreck. Old food was just dumped on top of the new food when it came out. The bathrooms were so bad, that I decided I'd rather piss my pants. In keeping with the decor, the waitress was wearing a filthy shirt, and was telling another waitress that she was 'gon' smack you upside tha heeead with this here bucket, if'n y'all thank I'mma put up with 'at.'

We definitely should have left, but we didn't. For some reason, I felt it was important that we prove to the others around us, and there were a lot of people there, that we didn't feel that we were too good for the place, even though we definitely felt that we were. I decided that since there was less than zero chance that I'd ever, ever, EVER come back here, I might as well go all out and live the experience as thoroughly as I could.

The food was actually pretty good, but we both spent the next twelve hours updating our Wills, wondering which one of us was going to get the corona virus first. Somehow though, we both managed to survive.

Dad headed out this morning, to continue his voyage in the wrong direction. I decided to stop ignoring my poop tank issues, and did some more digging with the help of one of the techs from Zimmerman Marine. We spent several hours chasing smells, checking connections, tightening hose clamps, flushing toilets, and scratching our heads. Eventually we just put a hose to the holding tanks directly, and finally found our leak. Unfortunately, it's been determined that one of my two holding tanks is deceased. There are no less than five holes in it along the upper outboard seam, which is almost completely inaccessible.

These tanks were clearly installed with no provisions for them to ever come out. Removing them would involve tearing up the sole in the forward cabin, and would be a massive, time consuming, and likely excessively expensive project. I've got some thinking and research to do on that subject. In the mean time, I've got one toilet and tank that aren't leaking, which is better than nothing.

We also figured out how to access my fuel tanks, and recalibrate my tank tender system. I was pleasantly surprised to find I still have loads of fuel aboard. Another win was scored, when we discovered that my LPG LNG monitor/controller system isn't working at all. This is good news because it meant that I could just disconnect the damned thing, and finally rid myself of the near constant nuisance alarms that have plagued me for months.

On a more romantic note, tonight is a really beautiful night. The wind has died down quite a bit, but there's still enough to carry in the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the beach a few miles away. The temperature is comfortable, the ridiculously bright Oak Island Light is swinging it's beam around, and I can hear what sound like wolves howling and yapping across the way.

This cruising stuff is pretty nice.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #306
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
ROFLMAO!

Post of the year IMO!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #307
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
David. It’s 06:00. You just put a smile on the face of a sleepy grumpy old man. Nice post
Old 02-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #308
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Vessel Model: Carver 450 Voyager Pilothouse
I agree with Flywright. Your posts are laugh-out-loud inducing! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures. Hope you see some sunshine soon.

Estee
JT and Estee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #309
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you're going to be in Southport another night, find Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House. Should be within walking distance of where I think your staying.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #310
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you're going to be in Southport another night, find Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House. Should be within walking distance of where I think your staying.

Ted
Next marina further west. Not walking distance, but short Uber ride. We liked it, the one time we stopped there on this trip south.

-Chris
Old 02-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #311
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Dave, I will be following in your wake in April in a 5.5-foot draft. If you have seen some hair-raising shallows or see some in the future, I'd be obliged to hear of them. I hope to go outside and activate the stabilizers to avoid as much as possible, but not at the expense of the admiral's comfort level.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #312
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Memory Lane (fiberglass)
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacemaker 40 Flush deck Motor Yacht
Dave just went by my house in Sylphide heading South approaching the Little River swing bridge. A beautiful sight leaving no wake what so ever.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #313
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Meima View Post
Dave just went by my house in Sylphide heading South approaching the Little River swing bridge. A beautiful sight leaving no wake what so ever.
No pics?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #314
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
ROFLMAO!

Post of the year IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
David. It’s 06:00. You just put a smile on the face of a sleepy grumpy old man. Nice post
And that has put a smile on my face! Thanks for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT and Estee View Post
I agree with Flywright. Your posts are laugh-out-loud inducing! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures. Hope you see some sunshine soon.

Estee

Thank you! And thanks for the sunshine wishes. I got a full day of delicious, delicious sunshine today, and It was glorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Next marina further west. Not walking distance, but short Uber ride. We liked it, the one time we stopped there on this trip south.

-Chris
Was that Safe Harbor? That looked like a good place. I’ll file that away for future visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
There were a few places I wanted to check out there, and that was one of em. Mr P’s Bistro was also recommended. My dad is a man of very simple tastes, and the word ‘Bistro’ scares him. In fact, despite my best efforts, he still resolutely pronounces it ‘Bristow.’

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Dave, I will be following in your wake in April in a 5.5-foot draft. If you have seen some hair-raising shallows or see some in the future, I'd be obliged to hear of them. I hope to go outside and activate the stabilizers to avoid as much as possible, but not at the expense of the admiral's comfort level.
I shall keep a vigilant lookout! So far I haven’t seen more than a few places that were less than 2 meters (my depth sounder measures in Roman Catholic) under the keel.

One of those was today, but it was my own fault for wandering outside the recommended channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Meima View Post

Hi Cliff! I didn’t see you, but based solely on neighborhood profiling, nice place ya got there! Lol.

Sorry/ you’re welcome I flashed some hooters at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
No pics?
I mean, I THINK I was there, but I don’t have any pics either, so I guess I can’t really be sure.

I shall now consider this existential crisis more at the marina restaurant.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #315
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Great post Dave, and good news you diagnosed the dunny problem and can now get it fixed. How long before work rears its ugly head?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #316
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Was that Safe Harbor? That looked like a good place. I’ll file that away for future visits.

Yep, South Harbor Village Marine, recently acquired by Safe Harbor.

The downtown marina in the other Bofurt (Byoufort) further along your way now makes an OK destination and was also recently acquired by Safe Harbor. The have what looks like a decent mooring field... maybe better than the actual docks, which weren't bad.

-Chris
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #317
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Great post Dave, and good news you diagnosed the dunny problem and can now get it fixed. How long before work rears its ugly head?
Thankee Lord Brucingham!

I've got another six weeks or so off. Late march is generally the earliest we start sailing, but I never know until it happens. It's been a mild winter, so I expect an early start.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #318
Guru

Oh, hello.

The morning after my last post, I was feeling something new, something different, something wonderful. I woke up on a boat that not only wasn’t beeping at me, but was warm, full of fuel and fresh oil, full of water and groceries, and it even smelled kinda nice. For what might be the first time since I moved aboard, there was nothing hanging over my head begging to be fixed, and it felt great. It felt like home.

I was able to enjoy that wonderful feeling for nearly half an hour! That’s when I found that my laptop had apparently had some sort of mental breakdown in the night. It was just sitting there… trying… really hard… but not actually doing anything. I can’t say that I was surprised by this. The machine is something like seven years old, and part of me was waiting for this to happen. I really can’t complain, it doesn’t owe me a nickel.

While this wasn’t strictly a boat problem, it did mean that my Coastal Exploder chart plotter was now out of service. Being my primary navigation tool, it was something that I’d need to address.

My backup is the Navionics app on my phone. It’s not ideal, but it would be enough to get me along safely until the laptop could be repaired or replaced. It didn’t look like there would be much difficult navigation on this leg, anyway.

So, on a sunny but cold morning, we departed Southport, and aimed the pointy end westward down the ditch. The trip was uneventful and pleasant, with views and scenery typical of North Carolina. That is, until I crossed the border into South Carolina, where the view out the window changed significantly. The long, straight legs of narrow channel surrounded by low lying shorelines and sandbars gave way to the Little River, which is, well, a big river. The channel widens, deepens, and starts to meander around. Like a river. The local boat traffic picked up, and there was more civilization on the shores. It took almost no time at all to realize that I’d already lost track of how many golf courses I’d seen. It caused me to lapse into a shamefully bad Australian accent, and go all Steve Irwin.

The Little River Swing Bridge let me right through, and before I knew it, I’d lasso’d myself a dock at the Barefoot Resort in North Myrtle Beach.

As was becoming another common theme, I really hadn’t planned on spending more than a night there, but with my computer (which is also my TV, internet connection, work station, chart plotter, favorite pet, and only friend) still drooling on itself, I decided to stay another day and have it fixed. I found a place that was half computer repair shop and half major arms dealer. There were more guns on the walls than I have hair follicles. The gun and computer wizard told me that my hard drive was dying. Replacing it would likely be an easy enough fix, and about a boat buck cheaper than buying a new machine. So that’s what we did. The thing starts up quicker than shit through a tin goose now, and I didn’t lose a single file, which is marvelous. I might just try to get another seven years out of it.

I hired a car for a day, and took a spin around the Myrtle Beach area. There are more hotels and resorts there than there were guns on the wall at the computer shop. There are even more pancake houses, and at least twice as many golf courses. Lots of retired white people, and lots of Trump flags. I don’t believe I met a single local. It seems that everyone there was from someplace else.

There was also what looked and sounded like a house fire across the river from the marina at one point. It also smelled like a fire, which made me realize I hadn’t had any BBQ since I’d been in the Carolinas, which I believe is a federal offense.

I remedied that by going to a place called Pop Pop’s a little outside of town. The place looked a little sketchy from the road, and after the Casey’s incident I wasn’t keen to take chances, but I’m glad I went in. I had the place to myself, and found the staff to be very lovely people. When they handed me hot, fresh made pork rinds within seconds of my ass touching the chair, I was fully prepared to start a family with them.

Normally seeing a place that’s completely empty at dinner time is a red flag. I think this time though, it was the tornado watch that was in effect that kept people otherwise occupied.

It had been fairly windy all day, and for a little while before the storm front moved in, it actually calmed down. When the front arrived though, the wind was no joke, and the rain came down in absolute buckets. My deck chairs were violently rearranged several times, and at one point, one of them tipped over and fell on the deck directly over my head. This startled me so badly that I actually shit the wall behind me. Right through my shorts. Damnedest thing. Stung like hell. Set off the smoke detector even.

I decided that I didn’t want to experience that again, so I went out and tied the things down. I also decided to take the flags down before they took themselves down.

The weather kept up like that until well after midnight. The noise from the gusts and periodic torrential rain woke me up half a dozen times at least. The next morning showed some light damage to some of the boats around me. A few had some canvas damage, and at least one dock box got yeeted into the drink.

After such a crummy night’s sleep, and with winds that had now settled into a steady SW gale that was forecast to continue until late, I scrapped my travel plans again, and settled in for a third night at Barefoot. I spent the day doing laundry, and trying to find someone who was willing to cut my hair, without success.

The next day, the wind was gone, the sun was out, and I was ready to shake a leg. We got underway early, with Georgetown in our sights.

This turned out to be one of the best cruising days that Sylphide and I have had yet. The first third of the trip was through the well manicured back yards of rich people.

Then came the Waccamaw River. I really, really liked the Waccamaw River. I just couldn’t seem to take enough pictures of it. Every other mile I would come around a corner, and find something else to take a picture of. Even though the trees were all bare and gray, it was still beautiful. I’m really looking forward to going back up through there when things are greener.

In addition to the excellent weather, and the excellent scenery, I just dumb-lucked my way into a very fair tidal current. Sylphide was positively bounding down the river. She was like a happy puppy welcoming her human home from work. We hadn’t gone this fast since the Niagara River. It was so exciting that I forgot that shooting vertical video is a capital offense. Sorry bout that.

As I drew nearer to Georgetown, some locals came out to welcome me. The boat they arrived in was aluminum, and had bright orange inflatable tubes around it. It also had ‘US Coast Guard’ written on the sides, and some very festive flashing blue lights. The welcoming committee then proceeded to invite themselves aboard and into my home. We spent the next forty five or so minutes having a chit chat about how they liked my boat, but it really could do with some more placards, and that it would be oh so wonderful if my fire extinguishers said ‘US Coast Guard Approved’ on them. We also discussed literature, and they suggested that I really must get myself a copy of the latest Nav Rules book. They also suggested that I take a page out of Marie Kondo’s book, and get myself a ‘garbage management plan.’

Because we had all enjoyed each other’s company so much, they decided to ‘let me off with a warning,’ and kindly gave me some wallpaper to hang up in my bathroom. We shook hands and laughed and laughed and laughed. In their final bid of friendship and good will, they got their boat up on plane about twenty feet abaft my beam, and waked the everloving shit out of me. What a great day.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:20 PM   #319
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Great update, keep `em coming! The feeling you describe reminded me of moving into my first house and saying to the neighbour "lots to do, be great when it`s all done",and getting a quizzical and knowing look back.
Can you post the bathroom wallpaper or is that not a good idea?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 AM   #320

City: Chandler, AZ
I generally just lurk here on the forums, but I just have to chime in here and tell you that this is my favorite thread that I’ve followed since I joined. As others have already observed, your writing makes for a great read. I’d really appreciate it if you didn’t go back to work and continued this journey instead. Alternatively, if you must go back, perhaps you could find a way to periodically regale us with tales of your Great Lakes journeys.

Seriously though, thank you for sharing!
Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote