2023 cruising, So Where are You Going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whitehall bay used to be an anchoring/swimming spot back in the '70s. Used to keep my Cal 2-27 in Spa creek. Been out of that area since early '80s. Looking forward to cruising The Bay again.

:thumb:

Pretty sure I'll be poking my nose up there this summer. I'll provide an updated report if I do.

OOPS.

For 2023, yes 2023, if you have suggestions for north of Solomons I'd welcome those.

Ever been in Whitehall Creek, just north of the Severn? I know a bit of the area from the land side, and thinking it should be lovely?

We haven't actually ever anchored in there... primarily only 'cause it doesn't seem to be within walking distance of much of anything. We have friends who raft up there often, though, and they do like it. Ooopps. Wait, I was thinking of College Creek....

But still, we haven't anchored in Whitehall Bay. Did go up to Cantler's a few times, not recently.

For marina stops on this side: Chesapeake Beach is OK. Some folks like Herrington Harbor South at the bottom of Herring Bay, we prefer HH North in Deale and there are other Deale options. Galesville. Annapolis (main harbor or Back Creek). Some in Bodkin Creek, Rock Creek... and Bal'mer. Plus Havre d'Grace if you get you that far. I've heard Middle River has options, too, but haven't been in there...

For anchorages: several options on the West and Rhode Rivers, South River, Severn, Magothy... and almost anywhere with "Creek" in the name. :) If you haven't seen it, "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide" by Bill Shellenberger is still a very viable resource for that. A long time ago we anchored in Sillery Bay on the Magothy, often just in the bight above Gibson Island called Eagle Cove I think. 'twas nice then, but it's been a good 25 years or so...

-Chris

Last edited:
We haven't actually ever anchored in there... primarily only 'cause it doesn't seem to be within walking distance of much of anything. We have friends who raft up there often, though, and they do like it. Ooopps. Wait, I was thinking of College Creek....

But still, we haven't anchored in Whitehall Bay. Did go up to Cantler's a few times, not recently.

For marina stops on this side: Chesapeake Beach is OK. Some folks like Herrington Harbor South at the bottom of Herring Bay, we prefer HH North in Deale and there are other Deale options. Galesville. Annapolis (main harbor or Back Creek). Some in Bodkin Creek, Rock Creek... and Bal'mer. Plus Havre d'Grace if you get you that far. I've heard Middle River has options, too, but haven't been in there...

For anchorages: several options on the West and Rhode Rivers, South River, Severn, Magothy... and almost anywhere with "Creek" in the name. :) If you haven't seen it, "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide" by Bill Shellenberger is still a very viable resource for that. A long time ago we anchored in Sillery Bay on the Magothy, often just in the bight above Gibson Island called Eagle Cove I think. 'twas nice then, but it's been a good 25 years or so...

-Chris

Big thanks for that Chris. There's a lot of meat in there.

Way, way back in the day I kept a sailboat in Middle River, before the Hart & Miller Island project. It was the closest commute from my home at the time, living in a Baldymore / Ballmer suburb. Pretty sure I'll nose around there, again at least for old times sake. Have to believe the shore side has changed quite a bit. I do read the area is full of tiki bars, so there's that to explore. :) Seeing what Hart & Miller Island has become would be interesting. When I knew it, it was little more than a sandbar.

I have no ambitions to do Baltimore, but probably will one day just to check it off. I remember what the town was, from late 60's forward, and it breaks my heart to see what its become. That stroll down memory lane would not be pleasant for that reason. Downtown is 60 minutes away from my MD home, and I just won't go. DC is fast approaching that status, but that's another story.

But on the plus side, you are mentioning a lot of other places that have been just off my radar screen, and now they are on it. Lots of fodder for looking into. Again, my thanks.

Given we are newbies and full-time employed, we aren't going that far - 3 weeks in the San Juans over two trips is the big plan. Looking forward to learning more and being on the water!

Have fun! I just spent the better part of the last 9 months on a trawler in Hawaii. It’s a tough cruising ground with few marinas and sheltered anchorages. It is beautiful, though, and snorkeling at Niihau was a highlight I’ll remember for many years.

For those interested, I am currently 470nm into the 3300nm run from Honolulu to Guam. We’re blogging about it here: https://mvstarr.com/

Have fun! I just spent the better part of the last 9 months on a trawler in Hawaii. It’s a tough cruising ground with few marinas and sheltered anchorages. It is beautiful, though, and snorkeling at Niihau was a highlight I’ll remember for many years.

For those interested, I am currently 470nm into the 3300nm run from Honolulu to Guam. We’re blogging about it here: https://mvstarr.com/
If you thought Hawaii was tough cruising, wait until you get to Guam...

For the record. I lived 4.5 years in Hawaii and 2 in Guam..

If you thought Hawaii was tough cruising, wait until you get to Guam...

For the record. I lived 4.5 years in Hawaii and 2 in Guam..

We're not planning on staying in Guam long. Enough time to get diesel, do a bit of reprovisioning, fix whatever is broken, and then we'll head for Japan when the weather allows.

Hawaii can be tough. Sailed there years ago and with the exception of Hanalei Bay, as you say, not a lot of decent anchorages. Safe travels!

Homebase for us is the upper Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake. thinking about taking a couple of weeks this year and heading down the eastern shore to Cape Charles VA and then either crossing over to Norfolk and working our way north or heading outside and making the mini loop north up to Cape May, then up the Delaware Bay to the C & D canal and back the the Chesapeake.

Homebase for us is the upper Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake. thinking about taking a couple of weeks this year and heading down the eastern shore to Cape Charles VA and then either crossing over to Norfolk and working our way north or heading outside and making the mini loop north up to Cape May, then up the Delaware Bay to the C & D canal and back the the Chesapeake.

There's an endless supply of tributaries and towns to explore off the Chesapeake. You could easily spend a summer just exploring the Eastern shore tributaries. I'm getting hungry just thinking about some of the great restaurants along the way.

Ted

Leaving Madisonville Louisiana April 1 for the Great Lakes.

If the rivers are hinting at flooding I will probably go east coast. The lock closure makes the river trip look like a job and I want to avoid that.

Last edited:
So Memorial Day (the unofficial start of summer) is tomorrow. 97 days till Labor Day (the unofficial end of summer). Are you out cruising or atleast have summer plans? I'm anchored on lake Saint Clair above Detroit. Not a breathe of wind with the occasional ore boat going by. Will be in Lake Superior in 3 to 4 weeks for the summer.

Where are you? Summer cruising season is over in 98 days! Times a wasting!

20230528_175617.jpg

Ted

Looking to do a 5 day (or 6) up the delta to Sacramento. That'll be our first overnighter. Need to book a halfway stop both ways as well as Sac.

Well, Memorial Day may be your start of summer, but I've been in the Bahamas since Feb 1. 80 degree (F) water, 80 degree air and crystal clear water. Will be here for another month then up the East Coast for the "summer". Back down to the Caribbean in the "fall".

Been at Mystic Seaport since Thursday for Spring Commissioning, Baldwin Yacht Club.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2802 (1).jpg
    IMG_2802 (1).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 26
Well, Memorial Day may be your start of summer, but I've been in the Bahamas since Feb 1. 80 degree (F) water, 80 degree air and crystal clear water. Will be here for another month then up the East Coast for the "summer". Back down to the Caribbean in the "fall".

What's your point?

istockphoto-174811664-1024x1024.jpg

Ted

I'm on the southern part of the Trent-Severn heading back towards Toronto, where I started my season about a month ago.

I had originally planned to head for the east coast this summer, but am instead staying more local. Lake Ontario and the NYS canals in June, then up to Lake Huron for the rest of the summer. Looking forward to it

The past couple of days feel like summer around here. I had the heat on up until last week. PXL_20230525_184825554.jpg

I'm on the southern part of the Trent-Severn heading back towards Toronto, where I started my season about a month ago.

I had originally planned to head for the east coast this summer, but am instead staying more local. Lake Ontario and the NYS canals in June, then up to Lake Huron for the rest of the summer. Looking forward to it

The past couple of days feel like summer around here. I had the heat on up until last week.

Agreed on the weather. Any specific Lake Ontario destinations in mind or just wandering your way towards Oswego and the canals?

Agreed on the weather. Any specific Lake Ontario destinations in mind or just wandering your way towards Oswego and the canals?
Not really. I'll be in Toronto for ten days, then have plans to meet guests in Lockport ten days later. Haven't done the south shore, so will probably go across to Rochester and on to Oswego, weather permitting.

You're on that stretch of the lake, right? I've never traveled that area.

Florida Keys then Dry Tortugas.

Not really. I'll be in Toronto for ten days, then have plans to meet guests in Lockport ten days later. Haven't done the south shore, so will probably go across to Rochester and on to Oswego, weather permitting.

You're on that stretch of the lake, right? I've never traveled that area.

Yes, we're in Rochester. For non-yacht-club marinas, you've pretty much got 2 choices that regularly take transients. The city owned Port of Rochester marina and Shumway (our home base). Both are nice marinas. The Port has more bars and restaurants within walking distance, but also more beach noise. Shumway has laundry facilities, there's a grocery store across the street, etc. I think they only take reciprocal guests these days, but Rochester Yacht Club can definitely handle a boat your size (Genesee Yacht Club cannot).

After Rochester, Oswego is a nice stop with quite a bit to do within walking distance before you head into the canals. If time permits (or on the way back), Fair Haven (a bit west of Oswego) is a very nice stop as well. Cute little town, plenty of good anchorage options, town dinghy dock, etc.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Yes, we're in Rochester.
Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Thanks. I'm heading up the Welland Canal then east on the Erie. I have an aversion to return trips :)

I went north from the canal into Rochester about five years ago and didn't find much of interest. Has that changed? Seems like there could be more there - at least a restaurant with a dinghy dock!

Thanks. I'm heading up the Welland Canal then east on the Erie. I have an aversion to return trips :)

I went north from the canal into Rochester about five years ago and didn't find much of interest. Has that changed? Seems like there could be more there - at least a restaurant with a dinghy dock!

There's not a whole lot in Rochester on the canal side when you head up the Genesee River, but if you can get a spot for the boat or dinghy at Corn Hill Landing (which is the limit of how far you can go) there are a couple restaurants there. There's a bit more in terms of restaurants, etc. in Rochester coming in from Lake Ontario, but still not as much as some places. Not exactly much for anchorage in the harbor either unless you go up the river a bit and get creative.

Mid-summer check-in from the wilds of Georgian Bay. The TF burgee makes a cameo!

https://youtu.be/cpLSVIuMVMA

Hope others' plans are unfolding equally well.

Will return to the boat in September. Boats in Deltaville VA. We are currently in MA. Will mess around the chessie until insurance lets us go south (Nov 1). Then meander on south to at least Hilton Head. Have arranged a home base dockage there. Likely will continue south and jump to Bahamas for a month or so. Then go up US coast to RI or VA for the following summer.
In the past you could pick a direction and make plans along the way. Now due to limited availability you need to plan further ahead. Would go years without a formal home port. Now usually pick at least two. Currently vary between someplace in Naragansett bay or the chessie for the north one. Someplace in SC or FL/GA for the south one. Been using SC due to cost and availability.

Still in Greece:
Lefkas>Zakynthos>Gulf of Corinth>Corinth Canal>Saronic Gulf>Piraeus (Athens)>Lavrion (Winter storage)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom