2023 cruising, So Where are You Going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the flight to Hilton head now. Once they’re a week or so to restock and sort out the boat. Then maybe savanna, Washington, Charleston etc. or just some fishing in the ICW and inlets. Mosey up to the Chesapeake to be sure being north of Hatteras by June first. Then wander up to East Greenwich RI where we have a slip for the summer. Learning to stay out of the ICW during the great migration seasons.

As I'm reading this my wife and I are shopping at Walmart, ABC, Trader Joe's, and Costco to provision for 4 to 5 weeks in the Bahamas. Then we're either going south and west to Panama Canal, or north again to Maine. We'll decide that in a couple months. We're shoving off from Ft. Pierce, FL on Wednesday. Looking forward to clear water!

We did Lake Champlain last year (2022). What a great trip starting in Narragansett Bay, RI! Next year we plan to leave Albany area mid June and head west on the Erie Canal, up through Lake Ontario, Thousand Islands, Montreal and back down to Lake Champlain. Maybe we will catch you at some point on the canal. We are wintering at Coeymans Landing on the Hudson. Look for us on Fungirl. A Transpac Eagle 40.

We did Lake Champlain last year (2022). What a great trip starting in Narragansett Bay, RI! Next year we plan to leave Albany area mid June and head west on the Erie Canal, up through Lake Ontario, Thousand Islands, Montreal and back down to Lake Champlain. Maybe we will catch you at some point on the canal. We are wintering at Coeymans Landing on the Hudson. Look for us on Fungirl. A Transpac Eagle 40.

In the yard or in the water?

We plan to leave NC in early April to attend the DeFever Rendezvous in St. Michaels, MD Apr 28-May 1. From there we will continue north to New England, maybe as far as Nova Scotia before heading back to NC.

Somewhere between Sullivan Bay and Powell River.

Maybe a trip to Princess Louisa to see Chatterbox Falls during the snowmelt.

Best thing about where I live is that I don't have to go far or long.
We will be spending some time in Broutons on our way down to the San Juans.

As I'm reading this my wife and I are shopping at Walmart, ABC, Trader Joe's, and Costco to provision for 4 to 5 weeks in the Bahamas. Then we're either going south and west to Panama Canal, or north again to Maine. We'll decide that in a couple months. We're shoving off from Ft. Pierce, FL on Wednesday. Looking forward to clear water!

I'm envious.

The Panama Canal and North America west coast are on my wish list. Unfortunately it won't happen on my boat. :cry:

Ted

We plan to leave NC in early April to attend the DeFever Rendezvous in St. Michaels, MD Apr 28-May 1. From there we will continue north to New England, maybe as far as Nova Scotia before heading back to NC.

Tough way to have to spend the summer. :rolleyes: Maybe we'll see each other in April. Will be heading up the ditch and Chesapeake in April.

Ted

Cruising plans are written in sand at low tide, right?

I put my own cruising plans on hold (and Akeeva is still in Puerto Escondido) to help friends with what promises to be quite an adventure.

We’re planning to depart Honolulu for Guam and then Japan next week. We’ll explore Japan until June, then cross to Adak. Then we’ll spend the rest of the summer working our way down to Seattle. Hopefully Starlink will make sharing the adventure easy.

I put my own cruising plans on hold (and Akeeva is still in Puerto Escondido) to help friends with what promises to be quite an adventure.

We’re planning to depart Honolulu for Guam and then Japan next week. We’ll explore Japan until June, then cross to Adak. Then we’ll spend the rest of the summer working our way down to Seattle. Hopefully Starlink will make sharing the adventure easy.

I'm usually skeptical when people describe their summer plans as an adventure, but yours qualifies. We're expecting pictures. No updates with pictures, it didn't happen.

Ted

I'm envious.

The Panama Canal and North America west coast are on my wish list. Unfortunately it won't happen on my boat. :cry:

Ted

Thank you Ted, I'm excited to leave. I meant to say 4 to 5 MONTHS in the Bahamas, not WEEKS. For some reason I couldn't edit it.

Richard

I'm envious.
Ted

Ted, why not? Watching WX windows, I'd think your boat would do just fine.

We are planning on the Triangle Loop for the summer. Leaving Rockland, Maine about the first of June, down to NYC, up the Hudson to the Erie Canal, out the Oswego River to Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence for the Thousand Islands then up the Rideau to Ottawa and down to Montreal, down the Richileau to Lake Champlain then down the Champlain Canal back to the Hudson and back by NYC to Maine. Planning to be back by the end of September.
If you need anything when you hit Kingston let me know we are in the inner harbor at Kingston Marina, and more than welcome to give any help or info on this end of your Trip. you should try and spend a few nights in the 1000 islands prior to heading up the Rideau, well worth the time spent, and just be cautious of the crossing on Lake Ontario she can be very testy at times, with the prevailing wind coming from the South West making it very uncomfortable about 5 miles out of Oswego., We had a Mainship 390 (Cartouche) up until last year, and travel the rideau extensively.

Cartouche, thanks very much. We stayed at the inner harbor when we were in Kingston on the Great Loop. We liked the bikes on the wall. Maybe we can have you over for drinks.

Cheers

When you are around Adak I really enjoyed Great Sitkin Island, the water was clear enough to see halibut swimming on the bottom under the boat in shallow water, we were on a 135' landing craft. Catch, clean and cook -nothing better. Although when we got there the Army corp of engineers flew out in a floatplane to tell us not to go near the bunkers then flew away, they were/are underground bunkers from WW2 still sealed up with big steel doors bolted to the front openings.

Also spent a few weeks at Amchitka island, very fun to explore on there too, stood on ground zero of Cannikin. We were able to offload a couple pickups and four wheelers there to really get around the island, actually quite a few roads.

I am envious of this portion of your adventure.

Tough way to have to spend the summer. :rolleyes: Maybe we'll see each other in April. Will be heading up the ditch and Chesapeake in April.

Give me a heads-up when you get close, and I'll see if I can scare up a beverage or three. :)

-Chris

Cartouche, thanks very much. We stayed at the inner harbor when we were in Kingston on the Great Loop. We liked the bikes on the wall. Maybe we can have you over for drinks.

Cheers
Great to hear and don't forget freshest and cheapest fuel in the area. great spot to re-fuel on this side of the lake, will keep an eye out for you

Ted, why not? Watching WX windows, I'd think your boat would do just fine.

Time is a big factor. East coast has the AICW plus numerous inlets which let you do shorter jumps if you're not sure about afternoon weather. My perception is that it would take me 2 or 3 times as long based on weather days (I have a "no get beat up" clause in my contract). Looking at the Cabo San Lucas to San Diego section with limited harbors, limited services, and in a foreign country, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Now if I had a 10+ knot boat....

Think I'll just wait for them to build the new canal from Duluth to Seattle.

Ted

I had an excellent time on the Rideau last year and staying in Kinston Marina worked well as an easy walk to the grocery store.

Though I do remember a local getting pissy with me about how I was flying the Canadian flag. :rolleyes: :hide:

Ted

Back to Seward Alaska from Baja

Making the return voyage beginning in late March, hope to be back in Prince William Sound by mid June. I will look for your AIS passing through SE Alaska Twisted Tree, and be sure to say howdy :socool:

I am working (but now have Starlink!) so I hope to get out a bit here in BC. The one constraint I have is that I will have to do short hops in order to be able to work during the day. That’s my plan, at any rate!!

We are planning on the Triangle Loop for the summer. Leaving Rockland, Maine about the first of June, down to NYC, up the Hudson to the Erie Canal, out the Oswego River to Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence for the Thousand Islands then up the Rideau to Ottawa and down to Montreal, down the Richileau to Lake Champlain then down the Champlain Canal back to the Hudson and back by NYC to Maine. Planning to be back by the end of September.

We have done 95% of that cruise in different chunks in our last boat and our current boat. It's a wonderful cruise, I hope you have a blast. We plan to do a full Summer on Lake Champlain/Hudson River and another full Summer in 1000 Islands/Rideau area, after we retire (soon). Both are wonderful places to take in at a snail's pace.

When you are crossing Lake Ontario, try to make a stop in Sackets Harbor, NY if you can squeeze it in; it's a lovely little town that reminds me of Rockport, MA. Actually, Rockport, MA is another great stop for you on at least one leg of your trip down and up the Atlantic coast.

We have done 95% of that cruise in different chunks in our last boat and our current boat. It's a wonderful cruise, I hope you have a blast. We plan to do a full Summer on Lake Champlain/Hudson River and another full Summer in 1000 Islands/Rideau area, after we retire (soon). Both are wonderful places to take in at a snail's pace.

When you are crossing Lake Ontario, try to make a stop in Sackets Harbor, NY if you can squeeze it in; it's a lovely little town that reminds me of Rockport, MA. Actually, Rockport, MA is another great stop for you on at least one leg of your trip down and up the Atlantic coast.

To add to that suggestion, a slight detour to the west after you leave Oswego for a stop in Fair Haven is also worth the time. There are a couple of good anchorages in there (near the state park at the top of the bay and about 1/2 way down on the west side), or you can stay at the Fair Haven Yacht Club if you want a dock (they accept transients without yacht club membership). And it's a cute little town and they have a dinghy dock (needed to get to town even if you stay at the yacht club, as they're on the other side of the bay). If you want a dock close to town, the Pleasant Beach Hotel has dockage, but they're more expensive.

I'd suggest downstream on the US side from Oswego, then cross over to Canada at Rockford and back upstream to Kingston. It's a great trip through the Thousand Islands.

Making the return voyage beginning in late March, hope to be back in Prince William Sound by mid June. I will look for your AIS passing through SE Alaska Twisted Tree, and be sure to say howdy :socool:

Ah, didn't realize you were heading back. I look forward to crossing wakes again!

Wow! And I thought I was logging some miles.

Ted

Time is a big factor. East coast has the AICW plus numerous inlets which let you do shorter jumps if you're not sure about afternoon weather. My perception is that it would take me 2 or 3 times as long based on weather days (I have a "no get beat up" clause in my contract). Looking at the Cabo San Lucas to San Diego section with limited harbors, limited services, and in a foreign country, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Now if I had a 10+ knot boat....

Think I'll just wait for them to build the new canal from Duluth to Seattle.

Ted

I hear that there's a hold up on the tunnel under the Rockies! It's scheduled to be completed by the Summer though. . . . didn't say which year though.
I agree with you, that there doesn't appear to be a lot of hidey holes down (or up) Cabo San Lucas to San Diego, but we are looking at Ensenada, then pretty much offshore for the rest. The trip down from PNW is going to be a one and done for us. Once we get to the Caribbean, Bahamas, East Coast, we're probably not ever going to be back out West again, at least with this boat. :dance:

I hear that there's a hold up on the tunnel under the Rockies! It's scheduled to be completed by the Summer though. . . . didn't say which year though.

Lol. Only in Iceland or Scandinavia.

Getting across from SD you could jump on a fancy marine railway car that takes you to source on the other side. That's feasible.

I agree with you, that there doesn't appear to be a lot of hidey holes down (or up) Cabo San Lucas to San Diego, but we are looking at Ensenada, then pretty much offshore for the rest.

That's what I thought too. I cant find the chartlets I shared with KSanders and Doug on their way down, but there are a number of anchorages, some with small towns. The last leg - over 150nms - to Cabo is pretty desolate for anchorages but other than that, you can day-trip it if you want. I believe that's what Kevin and Doug did as they were single-handers.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom