Old 02-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
2022 cruising, So Where are You Going?

2022 has arrived. If you're cruising this year, you probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal in May. Then up the Oswego canal across Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau canal to Ottawa. Back down the Rideau to Lake Ontario west to Trenton and then the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay and The North Channel. From there, summer in Lake Superior. Heading home through Lake Huron, St. Clair river, Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, Lake Erie, and the Erie canal to the Hudson River. Then back South crossing the Florida line by mid November. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:34 PM   #2

City: Long Valley
Vessel Name: No Worries
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST44
We are still doing our 2021 cruise. We will be in Key West tomorrow. We are planning to go to the Dry Tortugas if the weather holds out.

We will then wander our way up the east coast back to our home port in NJ.
4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
The Rideau canal is on our list, but I don't think it'll happen this year. We're working on planning a trip to meet up with friends in the Thousand Islands and cruise around that area and the east end of Lake Ontario for a few weeks. Not quite sure when in the summer we'll do it yet though. Anything else will probably just be long weekend trips around the south shore of Lake Ontario.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #4

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
I am doing the Great Loop starting 6/1 leaving from Mount Hope Bay in MA. Going solo with my dog and I can't wait to get started.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Amery, WI
Vessel Name: Pursuit
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Pursuit is presently in Melbourne, FL. Vero Beach next, then Fort Pierce and Stuart. Then back to see what we skipped and on to Cape Canaveral for summer storage.
Somewhere South of Disorder
Eagle Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Homer Alaska to Baja Mexico is on my agenda, with a couple of months of Prince William Sound to kick off the summer before heading down across the Gulf of Alaska to the Inside Passage. Planning to be in the San Diego area by November and then crossing the border, the plan is mostly the Pacific side of the Peninsula but I am sure I will make at least a brief excursion into the Sea of Cortez along the way.

What a year it's going to be!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
<sigh>
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclematt View Post
I am doing the Great Loop starting 6/1 leaving from Mount Hope Bay in MA. Going solo with my dog and I can't wait to get started.
Excellent trip! Did it solo in 2017. What route are you taking through the Great Lakes and maybe Canada?

Ted
Old 02-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Homer Alaska to Baja Mexico is on my agenda, with a couple of months of Prince William Sound to kick off the summer before heading down across the Gulf of Alaska to the Inside Passage. Planning to be in the San Diego area by November and then crossing the border, the plan is mostly the Pacific side of the Peninsula but I am sure I will make at least a brief excursion into the Sea of Cortez along the way.

Wow! What do you think, 2 maybe 3 tanks a fuel? That ought to be an amazing trip. What a selection of scenery along the way.

Ted
Old 02-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We would like to go to the North Channel but Canada is still an unknown. So if we can’t do the NC then we will do the Drummond Island area instead.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Two tanks from Anacortes coming North, hopefully I will have a "tailwind" going South and I will cruise slower once I make the Inside Passage. I bucked a mostly 1 knot current going North pretty much all of the way, it would be a blessing to have it from the same direction going the other way...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
2022 has arrived. If you're cruising this year, you probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal in May. Then up the Oswego canal across Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau canal to Ottawa. Back down the Rideau to Lake Ontario west to Trenton and then the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay and The North Channel. From there, summer in Lake Superior. Heading home through Lake Huron, St. Clair river, Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, Lake Erie, and the Erie canal to the Hudson River. Then back South crossing the Florida line by mid November. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted
One helluva trip you got planned there Ted! I'm jealous, and prob will never get to do that or the Great Loop either.

Our cyclone season ends on 30 April, so sometime after that I can go out the Brisbane River, turn left and mosey north into various parts of the Great Barrier Reef. A couple of years back I almost reached the top of Cape York (a bit under 1500 nm) but this year I'll likely stay around the southern end. Plenty of interest there. Hopefully our coast will not be as cluttered with southerners this year as it was last year.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Holding out for things to fall into place for a North Puget up to Glacier Bay trip for the summer where we will cruise - and work part time - in Gustavus. Hopefully in our own boat and not on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries lol. On the other hand, we also own an expedition kayak with a sail rig if we don’t close a deal in time
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:17 AM   #14

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Mostly local San Diego cruising and a trip or two to Catalina. Then October if all goes according to plan will join CUBAR headed to La Paz and Puerto Vallarta mid Nov.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #15

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

same here. not sure I'll make all the way to my hometown of so cal. I am not in a hurry there is just so much to see in the pacific NW.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, France > Italian coast > Corsica > More Italian coast to Reggio (i.e. the "toe") > Sicily > Malta. Leave the boat on land in Malta for the winter.
Currently in: Sciacca (Sicily), ITALY
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I'm heading north from Mobile in a few days. Hope to do the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers end to end, and arrive in Chicago in May, Ontario in June. Then go sailing for the summer.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #18

City: .
Vessel Name: Fintry
Vessel Model: x Royal Navy Fleet Tender
We're planning to circumnavigate Newfoundland in Morning Light, including a two week Cruising Club of America cruise on the East Coast with the RNYC.

Best current information on entering Canada on a pleasure boat is that you have to have a negative PCR test done no more than 72 hours before you arrive at the check-in dock in Canada -- time taken from when you phone from the dock. Each province requires a separate check-in in person. That's expected to ease some by summer, but no guarantees. Note in 2019 there were eight or ten ports of entry in Nova Scotia -- now there are three. The same is probably true in other provinces.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Back to SEAK with stops in B.C. this year. Biting my tongue on fuel prices.

AKDoug hope to run into you on your way south.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #20

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Hey Ted - sounds like a great trip. Are you departing from your home port in Fort Myers?

We have been in Key West since Jan 7, depart later this week for Marathon and then slowly cruise north back to Sarasota. Then in the early fall we will head across Okeechobee and up the east coast to Hilton Head, Charleston and beyond before heading back south for two months in Key West next Jan / Feb ‘23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

So where are you going?

Ted

Den
M/V Constellation
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote