Old 02-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #41
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Circumnavigator. You’re right of course. But the great thing about being a cruiser is the absence of schedules beyond rough plans and the absence of fixed destinations.

Know NS from motorcycle touring. Done Evangeline, Cabot and lighthouse trails in the past. Also thought about having Covey Island build us a boat so have spent time in Ludendburg. That trip will be a straight shot except maybe a stop in Washington county. And again in P’town. Just really want to spend time buddy boating in the Lake. Think we can do it it time allowed or make up time by skipping the Hudson. Real requirement is to miss another New England winter.
Went R.I. to Deltaville in 2 days so think we can do the reverse in time allotted. Think we can vary time in the Hudson and Chesapeake depending upon how much we enjoy it. Posted the above as a rough. In the past a days work was ~170nm with rare 200nm. Now I know a 240nm days work is very feasible without difficulty. A whole new level of freedom. Think this is the huge advantage of SD boats.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:06 AM   #42
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
BC, SE Alaska, and Prince William Sound. At least that's the plan. We will see what becomes reality....
Old 02-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Lincoln
Vessel Name: Still the One
Vessel Model: Hatteras 42 LRC
Hopefully Still the One will be ready to splash in mid April and plans are to finish outfitting and provisioning and to head north from Oriental, NC around the 1st of May, (likely single handed, but no schedule like the run from Florida in the spring) and heading for our home state of Maine for the summer. Planning to work the bugs out and update some systems before Looping in 2023. Hopefully we can meet Hippocampus up here as apparently we have much in common including motorcycle touring. Hopefully can also put the face to a name with many of you, and visit Capt. Tom. Officially retired but finishing pool shifts because we're so shorthanded and burnt out, I'll be officially free 2/19 and flying to NC.
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #44
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
BC and SE Alaska. Hoping for more normal relaxed cruising this year.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #45

City: .
Vessel Name: Fintry
Vessel Model: x Royal Navy Fleet Tender
Fenders in Locks:

Rather than subject Fintry's fenders to the 40 lockings on our Great Lakes trip in 2018, we used a suggestion from the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Buy 4x4s and cut them to four feet, with a hole in one end to take a line and hang them vertically over the side.

Since Fintry has an 8" rubber rub rail all around, all we need them for was to protect the rub rail, so we left them as naked wood. The GLCC suggested that they be covered in canvas which would certainly be easy.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #46
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
That last post gives me a thought. I just added things up, and since purchasing them, our current set of ball fenders has done a total of 66 lockages (plus somewhere around 20 overnights against walls). They've got some staining that I haven't really tried to remove (beyond just cleaning the grime off), but other than that, they're still in as-new condition.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #47
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Jim,

Appreciate the heads up on closed Nexus ports. Was aware or the testing requirements, but having to find an open entry point may be a little more difficult.

Ted
Rapid PCR testing may also be scarce, depending on where you are. They are available around international airports and busy land crossings.

Ted, Did you consider going through Montreal to Ottawa? It's a bit of a variation from the up and back on the Rideau.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #48
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Since we sold Willy the trawler, trawler cruising is over.

But there’s other ways of getting around.
We have several small OB boats and a small motor home.
Probably will take the motor home up Vancouver Is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Since we sold Willy the trawler, trawler cruising is over.

But there’s other ways of getting around.
We have several small OB boats and a small motor home.
Probably will take the motor home up Vancouver Is.
And you have many anchors.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Rapid PCR testing may also be scarce, depending on where you are. They are available around international airports and busy land crossings.

Ted, Did you consider going through Montreal to Ottawa? It's a bit of a variation from the up and back on the Rideau.
In 2020 I was planning on going Erie canal to Oswego to Kingston to Ottawa to Sorel Tracy and down to Lake Champlain. Going counter clockwise is a lot more cruising against the current. Also, as Montreal and Ottawa are in different provinces, I would need to clear Covid testing for both Quebec and Ontario, from what I understand.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #51
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. You are correct about the currents. I'm not sure about needing Covid testing if going from Quebec to Ontario or vice-versa BUT entering either province from the US you probably DO need some form of health "certification".

Things appear to be in a constant state of flux at the moment so it's difficult to predict WHAT will be going on in 2-4 months....
Old 02-10-2022, 10:14 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OC. You are correct about the currents. I'm not sure about needing Covid testing if going from Quebec to Ontario or vice-versa BUT entering either province from the US you probably DO need some form of health "certification".

Things appear to be in a constant state of flux at the moment so it's difficult to predict WHAT will be going on in 2-4 months....
Yes, from what I understand, I will need to get tested (probably in Oswego) and then clear customs in Kingston within 3 days, starting the day after the test. Was planning on a one day stop in Oswego to get the test and cross Lake Ontario the next day. Then there's the issue of the weather.....

Ted
Old 02-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #53
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
backinblue. Please go back and edit your photos, there is one that is not turned and I had to straighten my head.
Soo Valley-For Sale-Grand Banks 36 Classic
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #54
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
backinblue. Please go back and edit your photos, there is one that is not turned and I had to straighten my head.
I don't know how to turn them once they are posted, but if someone can tell me how I'll be happy to. The look fine when I view them on my laptop before I post them. Don't know why they rotate 90 degrees sometimes.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Yes, from what I understand, I will need to get tested (probably in Oswego) and then clear customs in Kingston within 3 days, starting the day after the test. Was planning on a one day stop in Oswego to get the test and cross Lake Ontario the next day. Then there's the issue of the weather.....

Ted

That weather thing is definitely an issue... So far in several trips over the last few years, every time we've planned to depart Oswego onto the lake we've ended up waiting an extra day for weather. The intended departure day has always varied between "I don't want to run in that for that long" and "it would be stupid to run in that".
Old 02-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #56
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Hopefully, the west coast of FL (via the Okeechobee Waterway) and up to Tarpon Springs.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That weather thing is definitely an issue... So far in several trips over the last few years, every time we've planned to depart Oswego onto the lake we've ended up waiting an extra day for weather. The intended departure day has always varied between "I don't want to run in that for that long" and "it would be stupid to run in that".
When we reached Oswego, Lake Ontario was 12' seas so we also got an extra couple of days in Oswego, plus was extremely cold.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I was planning on hanging out on Oneida Lake or between Lock 7 and 8 till I had a window to go. Then get my test, and cross the lake the next day.

Ted
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
I was planning on hanging out on Oneida Lake or between Lock 7 and 8 till I had a window to go. Then get my test, and cross the lake the next day.

Ted

That spot between 7 and 8 is the best spot to be in Oswego in my mind. Easy enough walk to most places nearby (including getting onto the outer most bridge for a better view of lake conditions). Only 1 lock to get out (so more protected than being down in the harbor) and it's free. If you haven't stopped in Phoenix at the bottom of the Oswego Canal, that's a good spot as well. Not a lot there, but the people are friendly, good docks, etc.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #60

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Sounds wonderful!

We’ll be heading down to FL in the land trawler for March.
No plans yet for trips on the water. Too many friends from far away coming to visit us this summer.

But maybe…..
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote