Old 02-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
After she gets out of shed in Deltaville Va. meander around Chesapeake Bay. Then head to Naragansett Bay for installation of new flooring early/mid June. Then join friends to buddy boat and head up through Maine to Bras d’or. Then coastal hops over Maine, Ma, R.I. to though L.I. Sound and go up + down the Hudson for a few weeks until insurance allows us to go south. Then south to buddy boat with friends who own an Al one off. Will meet them in South Carolina or northern Florida. Then Bahamas for next winter. Next spring undecided but probably skip up east coast to be in R.I. by summer.
We know little about the maritimes having only done motorcycle touring. Have only used the Chesapeake as a starting point to go to the Caribbean. Have virtually no experience of the south east. Other than man of war cay and Georgetown being draft restricted not much of the Bahamas either. So being liberated by modest airdraft and a draft <5’ much to see and do. First trawler for us. Wife and I are excited by these new opportunities.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #22

City: West Newbury.
Vessel Name: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
After she gets out of shed in Deltaville Va. meander around Chesapeake Bay. Then head to Naragansett Bay for installation of new flooring early/mid June. Then join friends to buddy boat and head up through Maine to Bras d’or. Then coastal hops over Maine, Ma, R.I. to though L.I. Sound and go up + down the Hudson for a few weeks until insurance allows us to go south. Then south to buddy boat with friends who own an Al one off. Will meet them in South Carolina or northern Florida. Then Bahamas for next winter. Next spring undecided but probably skip up east coast to be in R.I. by summer.
We know little about the maritimes having only done motorcycle touring. Have only used the Chesapeake as a starting point to go to the Caribbean. Have virtually no experience of the south east. Other than man of war cay and Georgetown being draft restricted not much of the Bahamas either. So being liberated by modest airdraft and a draft <5’ much to see and do. First trawler for us. Wife and I are excited by these new opportunities.

Ambitious. You might want to take a look at the charts. The trip you outline can certainly be done, but would leave little time for enjoying the various places unless you like to do straight shots. For example, it's a little over 500 miles from the Cape Cod Canal to St. Peters Canal, the southern entrance to the Bras d'Or. About 40% of that is a straight shot to Cape Sable, then you either keep going or day cruise. Day cruising will take you ten days to St. Peters. So, if you allow ten days to explore part of the Bras d'Or and the island, you'll be a month in Nova Scotia, without touching Maine. On Cape Breton Island, don't miss Louisbourg, the Cabot Trail, and the Bell Museum at Baddeck. On the way, both Shelburne and Lunenburg are great stops.

Incidentally, the photo of Fintry was taken just outside of Maskells Cove in Bras d'Or Lake.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #23
Guru

City: West coast
Heading from Vancouver north for a month with my folks.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Don't know, not sure, no idea, maybe here, maybe there, maybe some thinking out loud here - ok, I know it's not out loud, but the written equivalent.

Went briefly to Bahamas, but we have a daughter, topic of another thread in Harbor Chat, who is getting married next Saturday so we just had to spend all the time possible with her. So, thinking we'll leave March 1-March 10 or so. We have the following trips planned to choose from.

Option 1-This was our original plan. To the Caribbean, cruise 6 weeks, fly home 3, cruise 6, home 3, cruise 6 ending at home. That would take us from early March to late August. Just don't think it's Covid smart at this time though, so pretty much a "No".

Option 2-We've not cruised the East Coast extensively since 2018 and even then it was a trip geared toward getting us to Montreal by water. So, we'd like to spend time between Florida and Maine. Not sure how practical it is yet, but we do have some Covid cruising experience, having cruised Europe last year. Another problem, tooooooooo cold until at least April. But leaning strongly toward heading north for the summer.

So, what till then or is there a better plan?

Option 2A-Just cruise locally and to Keys until April. Works fine.

Option 2B-Back to Bahamas for a month. Works fine.

Option 2C-Cruise the Gulf of Mexico prior to or instead of East Coast. Could do same type schedule as Option 1. Maybe even head up to the TN River. Oh, dagnabbit See what happened. I was all set on Option 2 and maybe just a month of the Gulf first but now there's 2C for a month

and there's

Option 3-Cruise the Gulf, 6 on 3 off 6 on 3 off 6 on including to the TN River, instead of the East Coast this year. Omg, so many places to go and so little time.

Now see what you people did to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:41 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Don't know, not sure, no idea, maybe here, maybe there, maybe some thinking out loud here - ok, I know it's not out loud, but the written equivalent. [emoji38]

Went briefly to Bahamas, but we have a daughter, topic of another thread in Harbor Chat, who is getting married next Saturday so we just had to spend all the time possible with her. So, thinking we'll leave March 1-March 10 or so. We have the following trips planned to choose from.

Option 1-This was our original plan. To the Caribbean, cruise 6 weeks, fly home 3, cruise 6, home 3, cruise 6 ending at home. That would take us from early March to late August. Just don't think it's Covid smart at this time though, so pretty much a "No".

Option 2-We've not cruised the East Coast extensively since 2018 and even then it was a trip geared toward getting us to Montreal by water. So, we'd like to spend time between Florida and Maine. Not sure how practical it is yet, but we do have some Covid cruising experience, having cruised Europe last year. Another problem, tooooooooo cold until at least April. But leaning strongly toward heading north for the summer.

So, what till then or is there a better plan?

Option 2A-Just cruise locally and to Keys until April. Works fine.

Option 2B-Back to Bahamas for a month. Works fine.

Option 2C-Cruise the Gulf of Mexico prior to or instead of East Coast. Could do same type schedule as Option 1. Maybe even head up to the TN River. Oh, dagnabbit See what happened. I was all set on Option 2 and maybe just a month of the Gulf first but now there's 2C for a month

and there's

Option 3-Cruise the Gulf, 6 on 3 off 6 on 3 off 6 on including to the TN River, instead of the East Coast this year. Omg, so many places to go and so little time.

Well if we are lucky this year, Alaska may turn into shorts and tee shirt kind of weather....maybe....wishing
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circumnavigator View Post
We're planning to circumnavigate Newfoundland in Morning Light, including a two week Cruising Club of America cruise on the East Coast with the RNYC.

Best current information on entering Canada on a pleasure boat is that you have to have a negative PCR test done no more than 72 hours before you arrive at the check-in dock in Canada -- time taken from when you phone from the dock. Each province requires a separate check-in in person. That's expected to ease some by summer, but no guarantees. Note in 2019 there were eight or ten ports of entry in Nova Scotia -- now there are three. The same is probably true in other provinces.

Jim
Jim,

Appreciate the heads up on closed Nexus ports. Was aware or the testing requirements, but having to find an open entry point may be a little more difficult.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constellation1 View Post
Hey Ted - sounds like a great trip. Are you departing from your home port in Fort Myers?

We have been in Key West since Jan 7, depart later this week for Marathon and then slowly cruise north back to Sarasota. Then in the early fall we will head across Okeechobee and up the east coast to Hilton Head, Charleston and beyond before heading back south for two months in Key West next Jan / Feb ‘23.
Hi Den,

Yes, I'll be leaving from Fort Myers on or around April 1st, assuming the St Lucie lock is back in operation.

Sounds like you have a nice year planned. Will you be coming by Fort Myers before April 1st?

Ted
Old 02-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B:

I'm having a hard time picturing you as undecided when summer boating season is less than 4 months away. Impulsive, yes; undecided, no.

Ted
Old 02-08-2022, 09:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing you as undecided when summer boating season is less than 4 months away. Impulsive, yes; undecided, no.

Ted
Wifey B: Your half loop back flip sounds fun too. Maybe we should do it.

I think most likely 2C but could morph into 3. Probably a very fast run at the Gulf Coast and wait on the rivers until our next loop.

I think there's a lot to be said for half looping from the top like you, getting the great lakes and then other times go in from the other end and cover the lakes and rivers. It creates more manageable half loops but doesn't get your boat stuck in ice world for the winter.

For any who think they can't do the loop because they won't fit under 19'6" (up from 19'1"), let me point out this as an option. At normal pool, you can do the Erie and Oswego with up to 21'4" and go all the way on all the Great Lakes. You have no major bridge issues south of Chicago either. So if you're between 19' and 21', you could do an OCDiver plan and enjoy have the loop, then another year to an Australian plan (go down under) and enjoy the other half.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #30
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
If you are looping through the Panama City area of the FL panhandle and need anything give me a PM. One of our fine crew just departed our "marina" this morning.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:11 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Your half loop back flip sounds fun too. Maybe we should do it.

I think most likely 2C but could morph into 3. Probably a very fast run at the Gulf Coast and wait on the rivers until our next loop.

I think there's a lot to be said for half looping from the top like you, getting the great lakes and then other times go in from the other end and cover the lakes and rivers. It creates more manageable half loops but doesn't get your boat stuck in ice world for the winter.

For any who think they can't do the loop because they won't fit under 19'6" (up from 19'1"), let me point out this as an option. At normal pool, you can do the Erie and Oswego with up to 21'4" and go all the way on all the Great Lakes. You have no major bridge issues south of Chicago either. So if you're between 19' and 21', you could do an OCDiver plan and enjoy have the loop, then another year to an Australian plan (go down under) and enjoy the other half.
While I immensely enjoyed the Great Loop, early on I figured out that the Loop was an exotic buffet. You make a trip around and put as many different interesting things on your plate as time allows. The second trip allows you to bypass some, not go all the way around, try a few you may have overlooked, and obviously come back for a few favorites.

From a couple of tee shirts I purchased. " There are 5 Great Lakes, only one is Superior. The Lake is calling, I must go".

While it would be a tough slog up current with my boat, I would like to go back up the Tennessee Tombigbee. Would like to do the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela rivers (over 2,500 miles round trip). Then the Tennessee river to Knoxville. If time permits, maybe some of the tributaries.

Time to get back to boat projects.

Ted
Old 02-09-2022, 06:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Depart Liberty Landing Marina April 1st ish, to Half Moon Bay Marina for about six weeks (May 15th). Then in Limbo until the Erie and Champlain Canals open, scheduled for May 20th. A little nervous about the locks especially if they are crowded. Then up the Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain for the summer. If all works to plan we should be on the lake for Memorial Day.

New to us budget trawler, just hoping we don't run into any problems on the way to the lake.

We work full-time so trying to do this around work schedules also.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:40 AM   #33
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
Depart Liberty Landing Marina April 1st ish, to Half Moon Bay Marina for about six weeks (May 15th). Then in Limbo until the Erie and Champlain Canals open, scheduled for May 20th. A little nervous about the locks especially if they are crowded. Then up the Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain for the summer. If all works to plan we should be on the lake for Memorial Day.

New to us budget trawler, just hoping we don't run into any problems on the way to the lake.

Very early in the season the locks on the Erie will be busier, but once you get past the initial rush it's pretty quiet. Most of the times we've traveled on the canals so far, we've been alone in the majority of the locks. As far as doing the locks, once you get through the first 1 or 2, you'll start to get a feel for it and what works best for your boat. If you've got a good fender setup, 2 crew, and are able to adapt to different line / cable / pipe setups in the locks, you'll do just fine. If you've got 3 crew it starts to feel like cheating, as the helmsman just gets to sit there and watch most of the time once you're in position.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Very early in the season the locks on the Erie will be busier, but once you get past the initial rush it's pretty quiet. Most of the times we've traveled on the canals so far, we've been alone in the majority of the locks. As far as doing the locks, once you get through the first 1 or 2, you'll start to get a feel for it and what works best for your boat. If you've got a good fender setup, 2 crew, and are able to adapt to different line / cable / pipe setups in the locks, you'll do just fine. If you've got 3 crew it starts to feel like cheating, as the helmsman just gets to sit there and watch most of the time once you're in position.

That's a good point, the Champlain canal will probably have less traffic on it. I don't think I'll have a problem getting unskilled crew(friends) to get up the Champlain canal, I could pick them up at the Troy Marina, it's only about 40 minutes from our home town.

I plan on some sizable fenders. Should I dare ask... what is the preferable fender shape for locking? The big round ones or the cylinder shape?
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #35
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
That's a good point, the Champlain canal will probably have less traffic on it. I don't think I'll have a problem getting unskilled crew(friends) to get up the Champlain canal, I could pick them up at the Troy Marina, it's only about 40 minutes from our home town.

I plan on some sizable fenders. Should I dare ask... what is the preferable fender shape for locking? The big round ones or the cylinder shape?

Personally I prefer round ones, as they slide well on rough lock walls if you get pressed against them. And using separate fenders for locking and tying to concrete walls keeps my regular set from getting filthy (and tearing up the covers, which I don't use on the balls).

I generally go for a large ball (18") right at the stern corner and one further forward, just above the water. And then 3 or 4 small balls (12") along the side tucked just under the gunwale. That works with no adjustment for locks where they fill very close to the top (the big balls protect you at that point, the small ones do most of the work when you're down lower). Works well for tying to walls overnight as well, although I tend to lower one of the small balls in the middle to just meet the top of the wall if it's a low one.

The round fenders can also be deflated for easier storage between trips that require them.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:

Champlain locks are easier with much less lift and on average better protection from winds. I went up in late June and back in early September. With the exception of maybe 3 lockings, I was the only boat in the lock. The Troy lock had a few boats, but that's a much larger lock. It seems like you've gone the wrong way after Waterford as all the traffic has turned to port for the Erie canal.

Fender balls are my preference for locking, the bigger the better. Some of the lock walls have larger pot holes in the concrete. Bigger balls more easily pass over them. The pot holes are easy to avoid locking up as you can see them when picking your spot. Locking down, they seem to rise out of the water.

Ted
Old 02-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Two months in the Bahamas this summer, early June through early August. Plan is to cross to the Abacos, pretty quickly work our way south along the usual route or cut through the Bight of Abaco and pop out at Sandy Point. Then cross to Spanish Wells, and from there work our way south along Eleuthera or cross to the Exumas. Spend some time in the more northern Exumas, then cross to the Berrys. Spend a little time in the Berrys, then from there to West End, then West End home.

Weather permitting, of course.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #38
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

While it would be a tough slog up current with my boat, I would like to go back up the Tennessee Tombigbee. Would like to do the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela rivers (over 2,500 miles round trip). Then the Tennessee river to Knoxville. If time permits, maybe some of the tributaries.

Time to get back to boat projects.

Ted
Lessee here, up the TennTom three times and down twice now all in trawler speed boats, and I would have to say it's a bit easier coming south but not greatly so. With ten locks over 450+ miles, the current never gets too fast except near a dam which is relaesing recent rain water. I'd say to expect average of a 1.0-1.5 MPH head current. Leaving a lock heading upstream usually sees almost zero head current gradually increasing as you near the next lock. BUT, then there was the time I exited the Demopolis lock making turns for 8 knots doing around 12, but then there had been a big storm and the water was literally roaring through the adjacent spillway. An hour later we were down to below 9 knots.

Something about those friendly inland marinas and their unique collection of "marina cars." Never see borrow cars anywhere else, but they can indeed be an adventure!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #39
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:

The locks are likely much easier than you imagine. Wife and I had no issue in the Champlain canal on our very new to us boat we purchased in VT. First power boat after many years off from sailing. If we can do it, anyone should be able to. We found the locks very uncrowded, often the only boat in them. Very easy to just grab a line and enjoy the ride up and down and admire the engineering feat from early 1800's. Suggest you have some good sized and sturdy fenders (leave the fancy covers off) as well as some work gloves for both of you. Lock masters are also very helpful. Any other questions, please ask. (Sorry, don't know why most pics are sideways when uploaded)
Attached Thumbnails
20190613_110445.jpg   20190613_135501.jpg   20190613_135701.jpg   20190614_105108.jpg   20190614_112135.jpg  

20190613_115957.jpg   20190614_111951.jpg   20190503_141928.jpg   20190503_141946.jpg  
Old 02-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #40
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:

The biggest threat to a budget trawler will be the price of a slip at Liberty Landing. First class accomdations, but you certainly pay for it. Location, location, location! Good news is you can ferry into lower Manhattan from there. I can recommend some good restaurant/bars in historic old NY if interested.