2020 Cruising, Where are you going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donna, my wife, is competing in the IDBF Club Crew Worlds in France at the end of August. Our cruising this year will be in the early part of September south side of Lake Ontario, or part of the Trent system.

Palm Coast cruise mid January.

Cruise to St Augustine for Valentines dinner on the 14th and then Willie Nelson at the Amphitheater on the 15th.

Planning on heading down the ICW early Apil after our South America vacation.

If supplies are still needed in Abaco we will stop off there first. Then run through Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, Little San Salvador, Cat, south Exuma with an eye on getting to the T&Cs if we have a good weather window. Otherwise we will do a few of the far Bahamas islands we have not yet visited and then Andros, before heading back by the end of June.

Multiple family commitments July through September, then maybe a late summer's trip to Charleston.

Our plans just got scuppered.

We received a letter today from my wife's cousin back in Wales. Her mother (wife's aunt) is 90 in early June. Wife's side of the family is tiny - her aunt has a total immediate family of 10, everyone including grandchildren. No one else. My wife is the only other "immediate" family member as she is an only child of the aunt's sister. So they asked if we could make a surprise appearance.

Sigh.

So we have lost five weeks of our cruise.

So now looking at leaving around the first of April, crossing Lake O and cruising from Tampa down to the Dry T's before coming back up the east coast to get back mid May.

So no Bahamas this year.

Sulking.

Last edited:
You will be ahead of the Invasion being downtown Ottawa is very cool, you are right at Parliament Hill, and the 8 locks are quite fun taking you into The Ottawa River It will be very busy starting the weekend of the 11th through August Long weekend at the beginning of August, People are really friendly and lock staff are amazing they do all they can to accommodate all people trying to tie up. Many times we have had a raft which adds to the fun, and share power, you get to meet some really neet people, which we have done and made great friends with. The Addition of Le Boat is the only real challenge as the average Renter does not fully understand Boating and boating life, They normally keep going right to around 5:00 so We normally look for the first dock with power around 2:00pm and leave the next morning on the first Lock. a Heads up if you are planning on being I the system for more than 10 Locking days and or 10 Mooring days, it is cheaper to get a seasons pass, that is the break even. Link below
https://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/ we will be getting out of the Rideau the weekend of the 11th so will probably see you on our way down we come out at Kingston Mills, and will then spend time in the Islands before doing the Mini Loop down to Montreal the first week of August, we are excited to go to Montebello very beautifull Marina Lodge that we have seen by land but not sea. enjoy your trip and let us know if you need anything or would like to join up for a night or two, I am sure your boat will be fine but watch for the weather coming across Lake Ontario, it is a nasty piece of water, we had friends come from Virginia two years ago in a Mainship 40, and had a very unpleasant crossing and they bailed into Main duck, The prevailing wind is from the South west and when you are in Oswego it looks calm and Tranquil but 5 miles out is a very different story Cheers Ed, Joanne and Gracie
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the addition information. Will be leaving Martha's Vineyard on about May 26th. So I may push a little to get up there by June 22nd. Wanted to have 2 or more weeks available to explore some of the Rideau with my kayak. Really want to avoid playing bumper boats with the rental cruisers.

Ted

Our plans are made in the sand, at low tide. That said, the plan is to cruise up North in the Australian Kimberleys, then up to Indonesia, and settle in Singapore for a bit.

Thanks Ed, I appreciate the addition information. Will be leaving Martha's Vineyard on about May 26th. So I may push a little to get up there by June 22nd. Wanted to have 2 or more weeks available to explore some of the Rideau with my kayak. Really want to avoid playing bumper boats with the rental cruisers.

Ted
Best time for cruising on the Rideau is at the opening or in September. Worst is end of July to mid August. Like Cartouche said that time is very busy and it can be tedious on the locks when you have to wait and difficult to find a spot overnight at some locks.
Be aware that 1stbof July is Canada national day and Rideau is more than crowded in Ottawa at that time. While it is nice to see the fireworks from the Rideau, I did it once and will not do it again. Lot of people, lot of noise and troubles.
If you want some info on locks let me know some are nicer than others, of course depending on what you are looking for (meaning peaceful seclude lock or busy ones). Some locks are hidden jewels! Same if you go down Ottawa river and want some anchoring spot. I now keep my boat at Yacht Club Pointe aux Anglais after passing Carillon lock, if you pass by let me know!

L

Ted
That sounds like a good plan, By then our weather is starting to stabilize and become consistently warmer and days are long, making for very enjoyable evenings. We carry a Kayak for Joanne, she loves it the Rideau is a fabulous place to Kayak, you will see people who do the Rideau by Kayak at the locks pitching tents at the end of the day. the waters are perfect for it. I would suggest that you plan on staying in Kingston Confed basin the night of your crossing from Oswego, then catch the 8am swing bridge at Kingston that will allow you to be at the first Lock Kingston Mills (4 Locks) for the opening at 9am, they always lock up first, let me know if that fits your plans, and I can give you a tour of Kingston. Cheers

Wifey B: On the water. Anywhere. That's what is beautiful and wonderful. Today we'll have two five year old girls who love boating with us. First post Christmas day on the water as today, Wednesday, and Thursday all look like beautiful days for boating here. They don't care where we take them, just love being in a boat. Today, 13 of us will be aboard as we just get out and go, south to Miami. Then tomorrow, north to West Palm.

I'm as excited as the other little girls. So are all the others going with us. Just a beautiful day and we're all taking advantage. Temperatures in mid to upper 70's. Seas of 2' at 4 and 5 seconds. 9 mph breezes. Smiling faces. Life is wonderful on the water. Plus they get to wear their new PFD's their favorite Auntie bought them for Christmas. :D

Best time for cruising on the Rideau is at the opening or in September. Worst is end of July to mid August. Like Cartouche said that time is very busy and it can be tedious on the locks when you have to wait and difficult to find a spot overnight at some locks.
Be aware that 1stbof July is Canada national day and Rideau is more than crowded in Ottawa at that time. While it is nice to see the fireworks from the Rideau, I did it once and will not do it again. Lot of people, lot of noise and troubles.
If you want some info on locks let me know some are nicer than others, of course depending on what you are looking for (meaning peaceful seclude lock or busy ones). Some locks are hidden jewels! Same if you go down Ottawa river and want some anchoring spot. I now keep my boat at Yacht Club Pointe aux Anglais after passing Carillon lock, if you pass by let me know!

L

Lou, I appreciate the offer. Will definitely be in touch with you about anchorages on the Ottawa river. Always fun to meet up with TF members while cruising.

Ted

That sounds like a good plan, By then our weather is starting to stabilize and become consistently warmer and days are long, making for very enjoyable evenings. We carry a Kayak for Joanne, she loves it the Rideau is a fabulous place to Kayak, you will see people who do the Rideau by Kayak at the locks pitching tents at the end of the day. the waters are perfect for it. I would suggest that you plan on staying in Kingston Confed basin the night of your crossing from Oswego, then catch the 8am swing bridge at Kingston that will allow you to be at the first Lock Kingston Mills (4 Locks) for the opening at 9am, they always lock up first, let me know if that fits your plans, and I can give you a tour of Kingston. Cheers
That sounds great. Always appreciate the local knowledge to make logistics easier, tips on good paddling locations off the beaten path, and visiting with TF cruisers. Look forward to meeting you in June.

Ted

Mike, my wife and I are very interested in the Viking river trips. I'm presently checking ouf their itineraries and plan to go in the next year or so. Sounds like you were impressed with their operation. Tied up at a dock each night?

A little tip.. if you book the Viking Cruise through Costco, when we booked they got us the “drink Package” included and gave us a Costco credit card with about 10 % of the cost of the trip credit to use in the store when we returned.
The Costco booking agents really looked out for our interests when Viking changed the sail date and we had to rebook on a different ship and our cabin choices weren’t available. The cost of the upgraded cabins were reduced because of Costco buying power.

Between my 9 trips to Europe this year ( work) we plan to move the boat to St Marks ,FL and just some local trips then next year to Eleuthera

If all goes well with my project boat I'm headed south down the ICW in the fall, how far south I have no idea but it'll be as far from snow as I can get.

If all goes well with my project boat I'm headed south down the ICW in the fall, how far south I have no idea but it'll be as far from snow as I can get.

Is that your boat in your avatar? If so, what is it? Looks cool.

Is that your boat in your avatar? If so, what is it? Looks cool.

It's a wooden eastern rig trawler, a fishing vessel I worked on about a hundred years ago, it would make an interesting pleasure trawler though.

A little tip.. if you book the Viking Cruise through Costco, when we booked they got us the “drink Package” included and gave us a Costco credit card with about 10 % of the cost of the trip credit to use in the store when we returned.
The Costco booking agents really looked out for our interests when Viking changed the sail date and we had to rebook on a different ship and our cabin choices weren’t available. The cost of the upgraded cabins were reduced because of Costco buying power.

Good to know. I had no idea Costco booked Viking cruises. Thanks for the tip.

My wife is the only other "immediate" family member as she is an only child of the aunt's sister.

I hate to break it to you, Aunt/Niece is NOT Immediate family. It is Extended Family. At this point, you're really doing it for your wife's cousin (also not immediate family).

You are clearly a better person than I am. I'd send a card and proceed with my plans. You only live once, and I refuse to live mine based on the priorities of others'.

But then again, you're not me either. ;) Enjoy whichever trip you choose to take.

A 2 week trip to Desolation Sound and back in June. Other than that, just weekend and extended weekend trips around the San Juans and Gulfs.

Unlike many of you, I still have one of those job thingies that interferes with my boating!

I hate to break it to you, Aunt/Niece is NOT Immediate family. It is Extended Family. At this point, you're really doing it for your wife's cousin (also not immediate family).

You are clearly a better person than I am. I'd send a card and proceed with my plans. You only live once, and I refuse to live mine based on the priorities of others'.

But then again, you're not me either. ;) Enjoy whichever trip you choose to take.

Wifey B: We have those in our family that we'd drop anything to do something for them like this. I applaud Menzies.

Now, as to family definition. there is no concrete definition of "immediate family" and some definitions do include aunts, uncles and cousins. Immediate family is only defined in specific laws in some states or countries, such as inheritance law, and specific policies such as bereavement or insurance.

Now, we really stretch these definitions. We claim as our mother and father, and yes as husband and wife we claim the same ones, people to whom we have no blood relationship. In fact, we're not related by blood to any of our family. We have a "daughter" we didn't meet until her high school graduation.

It gets "worse" as you might see it. Our niece, Aurora, the daughter of the daughter of the couple we claim as our parents, has redefined it all beautifully. There's a girl her age in South Florida she first met when they were three and this girl is firmly and without question her "cousin." Furthermore all the people she's met at our house, all the girls from 18 to 30 are "cousins." She actually had a little debate with her kindergarten teacher and she clearly had heard this from her mom as she said "I refuse to be limited by conventional rules."

Point is, if Menzies calls someone immediate family, then they are that to him, and unless we're in some legal discussion, he can determine who he considers immediate. I praise that there are people in his life he'll put above cruising. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Before you all put me up for sainthood I should mention that, while we are going, I am bitching about this to everyone we meet!

Before you all put me up for sainthood I should mention that, while we are going, I am bitching about this to everyone we meet!

Wifey B: Why bitch about something you're choosing to do? :confused:

Hoping to explore the San Francisco Bay Area river delta. Have not been there yet. Work/travel demands don’t allow any more at this time.

We will tow our tiny 2901 Striper up to Olympia and splash at Swantown. Then we'll meander up the South Sound, San Juans, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound for a month or so. Gonna take it slow this year. Last year we cover all this plus The Broughtons. Wanna slow down, which is hard for me. Relax damn it!

Greetings,
Ms. WB. Re: post #111: "Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?" Hahahaha....Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective. Mr. m has NO choice.

After this dose of reality, back to travel plans...

200.webp

Greetings,
Ms. WB. Re: post #111: "Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?" Hahahaha....Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective. Mr. m has NO choice.

After this dose of reality, back to travel plans...

Wifey B: No choice is always a lame excuse people use. There's always a choice, just consequences to some. Choose and quit your bitchin'. :rofl:

Greetings,
Since you seem to be able to do as I suggested ie: "Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective." It is completely pointless for me to comment on this further. You will never understand. Are you blonde? :hide:

Greetings,
Since you seem to be able to do as I suggested ie: "Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective." It is completely pointless for me to comment on this further. You will never understand. Are you blonde? :hide:

Wifey B: Of course, you know I'm blonde and proud to be. :D

I do understand. There is always a choice. Clearly there is based on the number of divorces. Just seems that once one chooses, continuing to complain serves no purpose. I don't grasp women complaining about their husbands or men complaining about their wives. In my generation the perspective of married man and married woman are largely the same. There isn't the "little woman" attitude or the "Admiral" or any of that. Equal in all ways. Decisions in life are mutual.

And blondes have more fun. :dance::dance::dance:

And blondes are more fun ;)

Greetings,

Wifey B: Of course, you know I'm blonde and proud to be. :D

I do understand. There is always a choice. Clearly there is based on the number of divorces. Just seems that once one chooses, continuing to complain serves no purpose. I don't grasp women complaining about their husbands or men complaining about their wives. In my generation the perspective of married man and married woman are largely the same. There isn't the "little woman" attitude or the "Admiral" or any of that. Equal in all ways. Decisions in life are mutual.

And blondes have more fun. :dance::dance::dance:

And blondes are more fun ;)
When it comes to the "married man perspective ", it worse than it seems, blind in one eye and blonde in the other. :rofl::rofl:

Ted

When it comes to the "married man perspective ", it worse than it seems, blind in one eye and blonde in the other. :rofl::rofl:

Ted

Wifey B: Not blonde in eyes. They're blue. :rofl:

But then so are hubby's. Maybe that's the key, both have blue eyes. :)

Back
Top Bottom