Old 01-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #121
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki View Post
A 2 week trip to Desolation Sound and back in June. Other than that, just weekend and extended weekend trips around the San Juans and Gulfs.

Unlike many of you, I still have one of those job thingies that interferes with my boating!
JOB: What is that?? I think I have heard that term before, but, when was that??
I would comment on the wife thing being discussed, but, my wife thinks that would be a bad idea
Old 01-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #122
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
We are planning to explore many of the lesser-known, non-touristy ports on the Maine coast and anchor overnight often this Summer. We also hope to do a weekend in Provincetown, MA and some overnights on the MA north shore in places like Manchester by the Sea, Gloucester, etc. Some of our marina neighbors were inspired by our travels last year and have expressed interest in joining us, which would be fun. A couple of them have even procured dinghies this Winter specifically to expand beyond day trips and/transient slips on overnights.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #123
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
We are planning to explore many of the lesser-known, non-touristy ports on the Maine coast and anchor overnight often this Summer. We also hope to do a weekend in Provincetown, MA and some overnights on the MA north shore in places like Manchester by the Sea, Gloucester, etc. Some of our marina neighbors were inspired by our travels last year and have expressed interest in joining us, which would be fun. A couple of them have even procured dinghies this Winter specifically to expand beyond day trips and/transient slips on overnights.
The Maine coast is my home cruising grounds so for obvious reasons I highly endorse your choice. I'm in Rockport on Penobscot bay and can offer a few recommendations if you'd like. A nice place is Warren Island state park near Islesboro, free first come moorings, a dock and a beautiful island for picnics and hiking. There's so many nice anchorages and cruising areas it's impossible to list them here. Rockport has town floats with pumpout and water available, dock time is limited however unless you pay.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
The Maine coast is my home cruising grounds so for obvious reasons I highly endorse your choice. I'm in Rockport on Penobscot bay and can offer a few recommendations if you'd like. A nice place is Warren Island state park near Islesboro, free first come moorings, a dock and a beautiful island for picnics and hiking. There's so many nice anchorages and cruising areas it's impossible to list them here. Rockport has town floats with pumpout and water available, dock time is limited however unless you pay.

Excellent info, cheers.

We are hoping to hit unusual cruising destinations like Saco, Freeport, York, Bath, Wells, Sebasco, Harpswell, South Bristol, Tenants Harbor, etc. Basically, we were thinking that some of the "flyover" cruising grounds, that people (like us) tend to ignore while on our way to popular spots, would be fun and interesting to visit. "Touristy" eventually gets old and is usually expensive and often crowded... For us, it's especially true since we keep our boat in Hampton Beach, NH, which is the most touristy town in a state in which tourism is the biggest industry. Not complaining, we love Hampton Beach, but visiting another seaside gift shop or classic seafood restaurant, when there are literally dozens of them within walking distance of our slip, is not a big draw.

FWIW, We are truly spoiled with New England seafood because our youngest daughter's long-term boyfriend is a year-round lobster fisherman that routinely brings us ridiculous quantities of fresh lobster. It's so good.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #125
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Excellent info, cheers.

We are hoping to hit unusual cruising destinations like Saco, Freeport, York, Bath, Wells, Sebasco, Harpswell, South Bristol, Tenants Harbor, etc. Basically, we were thinking that some of the "flyover" cruising grounds, that people (like us) tend to ignore while on our way to popular spots, would be fun and interesting to visit. "Touristy" eventually gets old and is usually expensive and often crowded... For us, it's especially true since we keep our boat in Hampton Beach, NH, which is the most touristy town in a state in which tourism is the biggest industry. Not complaining, we love Hampton Beach, but visiting another seaside gift shop or classic seafood restaurant, when there are literally dozens of them within walking distance of our slip, is not a big draw.

FWIW, We are truly spoiled with New England seafood because our youngest daughter's long-term boyfriend is a year-round lobster fisherman that routinely brings us ridiculous quantities of fresh lobster. It's so good.
While I believe your choices will result in a very pleasant cruise most that you cited are not exactly devoid of tourism or other cruising boats although not to the degree of say Boothbay Harbor or Bar Harbor. There exists literally hundreds of fine small anchorages where one can enjoy the beauty of the Maine coast with little or no crowding save for the ubiquitous lobster boats. Mackerel cove on Swans Island is such a place, good holding ground, protection and the relative closeness of services. I used to run the ferry there and aside from the huge amount of lobster gear (stay in the ferry track) even in summer it's almost never occupied. I'm sure you're more than capable of discovering your own great spots to visit and I certainly hope that you have a pleasant and rewarding visit to my state.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #126
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
2020 Cruising, Where are you going?

Fish and Mischief, you’re posts are making me nostalgic for the Maine / New Hampshire coastline. Growing up in Massachusetts I spent my formidable years doing dumb things with buddies at Hampton Beach.

My first date with my wife was in Rye Beach, NH. We honeymooned in Bar Harbor.

After we married we moved to a tiny apartment in a converted Sea Captain’s home overlooking Rockport Harbor where we kept a 30’ sloop on a ball. That apartment would get icicles on the inside of the bedroom window in February [emoji6]

I was flying for Penobscot Air out of Owl’s Head and visited the larger islands almost daily. (I have a great story about the mail run to Matinicus Island that can only be told in person). A favorite weekend activity was walking around the yard at Rockport Marine or peeking in the windows at The Wooden Boat School. A trip to Camden for a beer and some yacht gawking was a good time too.

At the time we were broke and life was simple and completely tied to the weather and tides. I often joked with my wife that my life’s goal was to make enough money to get back to living like we’re broke.

Clearly the area imprinted boating on our brains. A bucket list moment for both of us will be to pull into Rockport Harbor in our Krogen. Maybe in a few years when we’ve decide to be brave and live broke again. [emoji6]

I should mention our cruising plans for 2020 are all around Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and a few weeks north to BC. Can’t wait!
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Fish and Mischief, you’re posts are making me nostalgic for the Maine / New Hampshire coastline. Growing up in Massachusetts I spent my formidable years doing dumb things with buddies at Hampton Beach.

My first date with my wife was in Rye Beach, NH. We honeymooned in Bar Harbor.

After we married we moved to a tiny apartment in a converted Sea Captain’s home overlooking Rockport Harbor where we kept a 30’ sloop on a ball. That apartment would get icicles on the inside of the bedroom window in February [emoji6]

I was flying for Penobscot Air out of Owl’s Head and visited the larger islands almost daily. (I have a great story about the mail run to Matinicus Island that can only be told in person). A favorite weekend activity was walking around the yard at Rockport Marine or peeking in the windows at The Wooden Boat School. A trip to Camden for a beer and some yacht gawking was a good time too.

At the time we were broke and life was simple and completely tied to the weather and tides. I often joked with my wife that my life’s goal was to make enough money to get back to living like we’re broke.

Clearly the area imprinted boating on our brains. A bucket list moment for both of us will be to pull into Rockport Harbor in our Krogen. Maybe in a few years when we’ve decide to be brave and live broke again. [emoji6]

I should mention our cruising plans for 2020 are all around Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and a few weeks north to BC. Can’t wait!
Small world, I used to run the Everett Libby to Matinicus for the Maine State Ferry Service along with all of their other routes as a relief captain. Fortunately for me two divorces, four children and medical expenses have conspired to help me live as almost broke, although I still find enough to support my boat addiction. Jesus Christ himself could hardly afford to live on Rockport Harbor anymore, thankfully I've had a mooring here for forty years so I can enjoy my simple pleasures, like walking my dog on Beauchamp point and exchanging pleasant insults with some of the lobstermen.
As much as I love it here I miss going up the inside passage to AK, a trip I've done numerous times running trawlers for a Seattle company. I've always wanted to make the trip from Seattle to Dutch Harbor with a small boat, taking my time and having an adventure. Enjoy your 2020 cruise!
Old 01-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #128
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
It is indeed a small place. When the WX was too bad to fly, I'd drive all of the USPS, UPS, Fedex and freight down to the Rockland Ferry dock and load it on so you could take it.

Camden/Rockport changed quickly when MBNA moved in. We left right around that time for work in Portland.

2021 is our target for Alaska. It won't be to Dutch as we're still working but someday maybe. I told Richard Bost I'd meet up with him up there before he shoves off again.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
It is indeed a small place. When the WX was too bad to fly, I'd drive all of the USPS, UPS, Fedex and freight down to the Rockland Ferry dock and load it on so you could take it.

Camden/Rockport changed quickly when MBNA moved in. We left right around that time for work in Portland.

2021 is our target for Alaska. It won't be to Dutch as we're still working but someday maybe. I told Richard Bost I'd meet up with him up there before he shoves off again.
MBNA was the death of the old Camden/Rockport/Rockland area. I hope that someday you get to make the inside passage trip. Up through BC and Southeast is beautiful, I'd go through Sitkinak Pass with a stop in Alitak at the cannery then up to Keuprenof and the south side to Unimak pass. All of that is breathtakingly wonderful and a worthy adventure, I was attacked by a herd of reindeer in Alitak once, but that's another story. I might have to truck my boat across one of these days. In 2012 I took a research boat around Prince of Wales island for the forest service, that's a nice trip with plenty of remote and beautiful anchorages, plus I caught a 250 pound halibut on that trip so bring fishing gear. Damn, now I'm getting all excited to go somewhere.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #130
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Sorry Lou, I have to agree with everyone. Time is a commodity you just can't buy. Do a few projects before splash, do what you can in the water and perhaps a couple when you haul out, but don't miss the whole season. We are missing Florida for the winter due to health related issues so we truly understand the value of time and waking up each day. Have fun, enjoy
Old 01-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
While I believe your choices will result in a very pleasant cruise most that you cited are not exactly devoid of tourism or other cruising boats although not to the degree of say Boothbay Harbor or Bar Harbor. There exists literally hundreds of fine small anchorages where one can enjoy the beauty of the Maine coast with little or no crowding save for the ubiquitous lobster boats. Mackerel cove on Swans Island is such a place, good holding ground, protection and the relative closeness of services. I used to run the ferry there and aside from the huge amount of lobster gear (stay in the ferry track) even in summer it's almost never occupied. I'm sure you're more than capable of discovering your own great spots to visit and I certainly hope that you have a pleasant and rewarding visit to my state.

Thanks for the advice. FWIW, we are not trying to avoid tourism entirely, we just want to check out the less popular ports for fun.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #132

City: sooke
Vessel Name: pacific refuge
Vessel Model: sundowner 32ft
Thumbs up

the plan is to leave sooke bc in the last week of june head up the inside passage to prince rupert for 5 weeks of cruising
benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:28 PM   #133
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
the plan is to leave sooke bc in the last week of june head up the inside passage to prince rupert for 5 weeks of cruising
Welcome aboard

Concur on boat choice

I retire next year and am looking forward to cruising longer than three weeks. Five weeks will give you time to meander, explore, or linger in new favourite anchorages. Be sure to share photos!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #134

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We have those in our family that we'd drop anything to do something for them like this. I applaud Menzies.

Now, as to family definition. there is no concrete definition of "immediate family" and some definitions do include aunts, uncles and cousins. Immediate family is only defined in specific laws in some states or countries, such as inheritance law, and specific policies such as bereavement or insurance.

Now, we really stretch these definitions. We claim as our mother and father, and yes as husband and wife we claim the same ones, people to whom we have no blood relationship. In fact, we're not related by blood to any of our family. We have a "daughter" we didn't meet until her high school graduation.

It gets "worse" as you might see it. Our niece, Aurora, the daughter of the daughter of the couple we claim as our parents, has redefined it all beautifully. There's a girl her age in South Florida she first met when they were three and this girl is firmly and without question her "cousin." Furthermore all the people she's met at our house, all the girls from 18 to 30 are "cousins." She actually had a little debate with her kindergarten teacher and she clearly had heard this from her mom as she said "I refuse to be limited by conventional rules."

Point is, if Menzies calls someone immediate family, then they are that to him, and unless we're in some legal discussion, he can determine who he considers immediate. I praise that there are people in his life he'll put above cruising.

ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #135
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Love Ray Stevens and love that song.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote