One Very Proud Duck Owner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::thumb: Thank your video trip!

Very nice and frech boat for adventures...:socool:

One more question if you can help. Can you estimate how much fuel consumption is reduced while driving a motor and pick up the genoa sail side or rear wind, you drive 7-8 knots.

If I was a serious open-sea sailor, I'd have gotten a 382, somehow, but with a John Deere rather than an Iveco engine, as well as a different paint scheme. Still, see lots of resemblance with my gunk-holing Coot.

Last edited:
With the Coot, a half-knot is gained from the sails if moderate winds come from near the beam while operating under hull speed. I'd expect somewhat more with the 382.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::thumb: Thank your video trip!

Very nice and frech boat for adventures...:socool:

One more question if you can help. Can you estimate how much fuel consumption is reduced while driving a motor and pick up the genoa sail side or rear wind, you drive 7-8 knots.

NBs: I'm not the owner of the DD featured in the video. I noticed that the owner posted his video in the DuckTalk forum (Here's a link to Duck Talk: Forums) so I thought I'd share it with my fellow TF members.

For more information about the fuel consumption while 'motorsailing' a DD I recommend you contact the owner of the 382 featured in the video. Note: His email address can be found in the end credits of his video.

Or you could contact Jeff Appel who owns a DD 462 and ask him about his fuel consumption when the sails are up. Jeff recently crossed the Pacific on his passage from the Philippines to his new home port in Oxnard, California. You can find Jeff's contact information on his web site (Here's a link to Jef's web site: Home - Blog Summary View )There you can also read his blog about his Philippines to California voyage aboard Moby Duck.

Last edited:
Interesting boat. But that video is almost unwatchable with how fast the camera is moving around.

Swim platform looks way to short. And the backs on all the exterior seating looks way to straight. I've never figured out how boat builders could get basic seating angles and dimensions wrong year after year and boat after boat. :banghead:

That and they rarely seem to understand the need for the correct number of and correct placement of electrical outlets and lights.

If I was a serious open-sea sailor, I'd have gotten a 382, somehow, but with a John Deere rather than an Iveco engine......

Hi Mark,
Why not the Iveco engine?
Eamonn.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a cool boat! The red is a bit much IMO, but I could get over it.

Interesting boat. But that video is almost unwatchable with how fast the camera is moving around.

Swim platform looks way to short. And the backs on all the exterior seating looks way to straight. I've never figured out how boat builders could get basic seating angles and dimensions wrong year after year and boat after boat. :banghead:

That and they rarely seem to understand the need for the correct number of and correct placement of electrical outlets and lights.

I'm in agreement about all your comments. The motion of the video cam was at my limits of being able to watch it but I understood the guy is not a pro and it's probably one of his first videos. I hope he learns from this first Vlog of his new upcoming series and steadies the camera.

One of my biggest complaints when I went aboard several Seahorse Marine DD's was the extremely uncomfortable seat cushions. When I went to the SHM shipyard in China and met with Bill Kimley I showed him an example of what a comfortable couch was but me thinks he'll just continue to install those rock hard erect sofas and settees.

On my future DD the placement of electrical outlets will be well thought out and with the help of Jef Appel I'm pretty sure I'll just copy what he did on his DD (MOBY DUCK).

Funny you should mention the swim platform. I too thought is was just a bit too short for my liking. I'll be using mine for a scuba diving platform a lot and with it's current length/depth I would have issues with doing a 360 while fully suited. Adding a bit of length to the platform in just one of the many modifications I will be discussing with the shipyard that I ultimately choose to build my future DD.

I liked the engine room best! Beautiful!

If I was a serious open-sea sailor, I'd have gotten a 382, somehow, but with a John Deere rather than an Iveco engine......

Hi Mark,
Why not the Iveco engine?
Eamonn.

I divined the choice between John Deere and Iveco, and chose the JD for my boat. Not disappointed.

How can you not love the ducks!

Easy, have good taste in college football

IMG_3529.JPG

Ducks!

Having just crossed the equatorial Pacific West to East and having cruised my Duck over 10000+ miles over the last 2+ years I thought I would address some of the comments in this thread. I have the 462 flush deck Duck which at 50' LOA is the larger sister ship to the 382 at 40'.
My boat is red too. I love my red boat. While cruising around Hong Kong and tracking 75+ AIS targets at one time it was really nice when I got on the VHF and asked "Do you see me?", the response was always "Are you that little red thing over there?". That happened over and over again when crossing the major Los Harbor/San Pedro shipping lanes coming into California, in the busy commercial ports of the Philippines and around the coral atolls in the Pacific that host major fishing fleets (Marshall Islands). My point is that red makes you very very visible.
Regarding the 382 helm seat comments. You are right the custom helm seat reclines very little, if at all. The 382 is just too small. I have attached some pictures of my pilothouse. You will note the room for the fully adjustable Stidd helm seat. I have also included a picture of my fully functional flybridge unlike the smaller 382. Full instrumentation including the Stidd helm seat and bow and stern thruster controls. Makes docking very easy.
My boat has the 135hp 4045 John Deere. It is electronically controlled meaning it is very fuel efficient, runs unbelievable smooth and puts out very little soot. And yes, I carry a fully programmed spare ECU on board. Crossing the Pacific, keeping in mind that I was going the wrong way across the Pacific beating into the current, swell and trade winds most of the time I burned on average 1.5 gallons per hour at 4-5 knots. My boat weighs 40+ tons with full keel with ballast and 2000 gallons of fuel, so this is very good. With my ketch rig and fully feathering five blade prop I can really sail at 4 knots if the wind is blowing the right direction. Keep in mind this is not a sailboat and cannot point high. Motorsailing I cruise 7-8 knots burning around 1.5 gph. If you do the math with my 2000 gallons of fuel you will note the phenomenon range. I still have the $2.00 per gallon Philippine fuel in my boat.
My boat has a similar transom configuration as the 382. You are right, the standard transom area is very narrow. I do a lot of scuba diving so I had them build a 2.5 foot stainless water sports platform that extends out. You will notice in the picture that my Sea Doo is currently sitting on it. One of the advantages of a strong thick steel hull is the ability to properly brace something like this for carrying a 800lb PWC across the Pacific.
I have also included a picture of my salon. In the 382 video you will see the table and settee in the salon. I prefer to use the pilothouse table and use the salon as just a "kick back" area. There is a comfortable settee/couch opposite the built in seating area that opens into another queen size sleeping area. The seating area was perfect for wedging yourself in while the boat was bouncing around in heavy seas. It is also located in one of the most stable parts of the boat at the just below the water line. One of the things that is great about building with Seahorse, you can customize the interior arrangement to some extent.
If you would like to see more pictures check out my blog mvmobyduck.com.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 326
  • P1000511.jpg
    P1000511.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 574
  • P1000519.jpg
    P1000519.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 283
  • P1000524.jpg
    P1000524.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 339
  • P1000525.jpg
    P1000525.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 323
Wow. Very nice. That Stidd on the flybridge is off the hook!

Changed mind. I like the red. [emoji51]

Its so funny seeing a jet ski on the back. Doesn't go with the whole Diesel Duck theme. Lol

Moby Duck
Anything new during the past year? Nice to see a purpose built blue water vessel being used as George intended.

Your jet ski is the perfect touch. Watching how the pro surfers use them is fascinating.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the swim platform. I too thought is was just a bit too short for my liking. I'll be using mine for a scuba diving platform a lot and with it's current length/depth I would have issues with doing a 360 while fully suited. Adding a bit of length to the platform in just one of the many modifications I will be discussing with the shipyard that I ultimately choose to build my future DD.

What would be the recommended minimum depth of a swim platform, especially for those who do enjoy scuba? I would like to keep to a minimum since the boat is for ocean cruising and I don't want too much leverage for the seas to push against.

Back
Top Bottom