Diesel Duck Ellemaid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't speculate on or put that out there unless you had some firsthand knowledge...dirty pool

Maybe...but if that's where we're going to set the bar for web forum speculation/accuracy, this place is going to be real quiet.

Nothing a snorkel, or even a GoPro on a long stick couldn't answer.

Last edited:
Agree. People should keep their opinions to themselves when it comes to boat listings.

evey harbor has shallows... So you guys are going to speculate that this boat may have had an issue? Thats how it comes off. If your sundowner 30 was on the market, how would you feel if someone "Speculated" that you may have hit something with no other reason that there is a shoal /rock nearby?

Quoted wrong post ,it was meant for MurryM...

Maybe...but if that's where we're going to set the bar for web forum speculation/accuracy, this place is going to be real quiet.

Nothing a snorkel, or even a GoPro on a long stick couldn't answer.

Or a chart plotter, or a paper chart....Or a retired mailman in a kayak with a camera...Not really sur what point your trying to make here...

Or a chart plotter, or a paper chart....Or a retired mailman in a kayak with a camera...Not really sur what point your trying to make here...

If one was concerned to find out why such a boat only has 200 hours on the engine, one could dive under it or put a GoPro on a stick and have a peek.

Do you chastise everybody who speculates on boat listing photos (engine rooms and bilges seem to garner a lot of attention here on TF) or did you single me out of the herd for some particular reason?

There's another current thread about two boats colliding...wanna stop the speculating on that one?

evey harbor has shallows... So you guys are going to speculate that this boat may have had an issue? Thats how it comes off. If your sundowner 30 was on the market, how would you feel if someone "Speculated" that you may have hit something with no other reason that there is a shoal /rock nearby?

I'd probably ignore it, knowing the odds of serious purchasers forming their opinion of it by grazing Internet boating forums would be pretty much nil.

S of F,

If you go back to page one of this thread and scroll through, you'll see I posted about 8 positive posts about this boat.

If I had the means and skills to take care of this kind of boat, I'd probably have visited the vessel to check it out.

Last edited:
S of F,

If you go back to page one of this thread and scroll through, you'll see I posted about 8 positive posts about this boat.

If I had the means and skills to take care of this kind of boat, I'd probably have visited the vessel to check it out.

Sorry dude, I'm not scrolling back through pages because your butt hurt because I called you out on what I thought was an unnecessary/inappropriate post...

We all have opinions. Read them for what they are, "opinions."
Just because I do not like a boat does not mean I am right or wrong, it is just my opinion
Lighten up!!!

Sorry dude, I'm not scrolling back through pages because your butt hurt because I called you out on what I thought was an unnecessary/inappropriate post...

You're inflating my concern waaaay too much.

Looking forward to seeing you call out everyone else who speculates here on TF :thumb:

Still for sale ($270,000.00) with only 200 hours on the engine:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/Buehler-71-2455144/Indonesia#.WJXCf7Z96Cc

There are some photos of the boat moving around in a small bay which has a prominent rock about 2' below the surface. I wonder if that has something to do with it...?

Damn that’s irresponsible! Pretty passive aggressively antagonistic too....... just what do you have against the seller to prompt such unfounded speculation? If this comment is not based on firsthand knowledge then shame on you!

Last edited:
Nothing against the owner, just wondering how a boat built in 2009 with 200 hours on the engine ends up in Indonesia, more than 11,000 Km away from Turkey, when the quoted intension on Buehler's website was to cross the Atlantic.

Makes a guy wonder...

Hoping the story doesn't involve health issues.

Last edited:
S of F & WH...

I retract my rock striking ponder.

I still love this boat, and found a video which explains the still photo on yachtworld that shows what looks like a rock very close to the boat.

At 1:20 into the video you can see where he had 'goosed' the engine while manoeuvring for the drone footage, and kicked up some mud.

In the still photos it looked to me like a rock.

My bad. Should have investigated further.

S of F & WH...

I retract my rock striking ponder.

I still love this boat, and found a video which explains the still photo on yachtworld that shows what looks like a rock very close to the boat.

At 1:20 into the video you can see where he had 'goosed' the engine while manoeuvring for the drone footage, and kicked up some mud.

In the still photos it looked to me like a rock.

My bad. Should have investigated further.

all good, no harm, no foul!

I think they are all the rage and I' wear them proudly! Just ask the crew from the TF get togethers....Don Moon lies, don't listen to him, lol!

If anyone's interested regarding Houligan/Ellemaid. Last year the seller accepted my offer of $175k, but due to Covid travel difficulties, and my fantastic job, it was not practical to take delivery in Singapore, and it was not financially acceptable to have it shipped to America.

Fast forward a year later, the owner somehow found a buyer privately in Indonesia. Sold for $275k. Good for him. Goes to show however that when it comes to very esoteric boats, it will take (in his case) 5 years to sell at about 1/3 the construction cost.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-29 130211.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-29 130211.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Still think the 462 is a fine boat. With a Seakeeper inside and the sails a very comfortable cruiser. There was one for sale in Turkey I wanted but Covid restrictions got in the way.

In August we spent a night at the Everett marina. Got an empty slip on one of the permanent docks. There was a very nice DD on the same dock. Really a lovely boat.

In August we spent a night at the Everett marina. Got an empty slip on one of the permanent docks. There was a very nice DD on the same dock. Really a lovely boat.

If it was a dark blue boat, no fly bridge, and the standard/simple sail plan, then it is likely Shearwater and she is a really beautiful boat.

Later,
Dan

Yes, that is the one! Beautiful boat. I was drooling the whole time.

something I've noticed with Diesel Duck designs. Often the boats are for sale, shortly after they have been used slightly.

Is the nature of these boats the owners do a "once in a lifetime" cruise, and then sell the boats and return to land.

Or is there something inherent in the DD designs that owners end up not liking the boat?

Poor motion at sea?

something I've noticed with Diesel Duck designs. Often the boats are for sale, shortly after they have been used slightly.

Is the nature of these boats the owners do a "once in a lifetime" cruise, and then sell the boats and return to land.

Or is there something inherent in the DD designs that owners end up not liking the boat?

Poor motion at sea?

Can of worms. I don't think there's any issue with the boat per se. They are a bit cave-like but that's obvious. What you see is what you get.

I suspect that due to the lower price point, they attract a lot of novice passagemakers. More likely either they tick the bucket list item, or they figure out long range cruising isn't for them. Or it takes a lot more money than they thought to campaign a passagemaker

They're strong boats. Purpose built. I don't think it's the boat. More likely the buyer.

Peter

Poor motion at sea?

At least the original owners I have followed, the owners of the DD 462's seem to keep them for many years. I see some coming on the market as the owners seem to age out.

The owners who have been in some serous seas have liked the boats motion. Many of the informational blogs have been disappearing as time passes. :(

Later,
Dan

Can of worms. I don't think there's any issue with the boat per se. They are a bit cave-like but that's obvious. What you see is what you get.

I suspect that due to the lower price point, they attract a lot of novice passagemakers. More likely either they tick the bucket list item, or they figure out long range cruising isn't for them. Or it takes a lot more money than they thought to campaign a passagemaker

They're strong boats. Purpose built. I don't think it's the boat. More likely the buyer.

Peter

Agreed. The boats are fine but not for everyone. Some buyers don’t figure out until they own it that it might not be the right boat for them. Some figure out after they buy a boat that cruising is not for them.

Here is a Duck at least as big, which has all of the features the Turkish boat lacks: https://www.strannikoceanvoyages.com
She was built in the Seahorse yard under close supervision and has been all over the Western Pacific. No problem with airiness and light below.
Our Duck was built in Quebec and completed in BC, cruised the Inside Passage for a decade and then was shipped to NZ. She's been a great boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom