Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: A boat for Mark

Quote:
Marin wrote:
This small, steel-hulled boat (I assume it's steel) has been on the dock in front of the Bellingham Yacht Club for a few months now.* I assume the owner made arrangements with the club to leave it there for the winter.* I've seen it in the marina from time to time in the past.

Yesterday I remembered to take my camera and when I went out to get the snow off our boat I took these two shots on the way.* I've been wondering if the make was similar to Coot, the boat Mark is having built for him.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 12:34:27 PMm

Marin

I decided that this is a Seahorse 35. I looked at it yesterday, and it appears to be steel, with either an aluminum or fiberglass house bolted to a steel deck flange. She's a good looking little boat.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Carey wrote:

She's a good looking little boat.
She looks pretty big*to me.* Is a "little boat" defined as a vessel smaller than one's own?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Mark and JD,
If I get a Nordic Tug the first thing I'll do is remove the funnel. Put the propane tank in a much smaller box on the roof. Or a bigger box and put more things in it. JD, I like your green hull * *..could use some green trim above the gunnel though. Maybe a red or yellow line around the base of the FB ?.
Daddyo,
If ya need a longer wheelhouse * *...lengthen the wheelhouse.
I think (like you said) it's a good looking boat to me.

One challenge you would run into Eric, depending on the size of the NT, is that the funnel also covers the increased headroom required to transit between the pilothouse and saloon.*

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Carey wrote:

She looks pretty big*to me.* Is a "little boat" defined as a vessel smaller than one's own?MarkLittle was used as a term of endearment. After all, she's only about a foot less than mine. She is very low freeboard, and that does tend to make her look about 32'. Don't worry, it's not about size, but how you use it.*

Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:

One of the first things we did on our boat after changing the anchor was get rid of the life rings that came with the boat and instal a Lifesling in the center of the aft rail as pictured below.
I like the idea alot, but I'll probably get one life ring and one Lifesling.* Put the life ring on the starboard railing adjacent to the helmsman's position, and the Lifesling on the stern rail.* If someone*else*falls overboard, it's likely I'll be alone.* The life ring will be immediately at hand,*with later deployment of the Lifesling to help in recovery.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
A boat for Mark

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Carey wrote:

She looks pretty big*to me.* Is a "little boat" defined as a vessel smaller than one's own?
Not in my mind.* Anything under about 45' is a "little" boat to my way of thinking.* Our GB is a "little" boat as far as I'm concerned.* A Fleming 55 is a "big" boat by my definition.* And anything over about 70'*I don't even regard as a "boat"*in the sense that our boat is a "boat."

The boat we're talking about has a little decal*of*a green or blue*seahorse on the funnel.* No name,*just the*animal (fish?).* You can see it in the aft shot I took.* I thought it might*be something the owner had put on for some reason but now it makes all sorts of sense.*

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 07:57:38 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Mark, don't worry about it.* There is no hard rule defining big and little boats.* While docked on Charleston's Mega Dock a guy asked to look at my boat.* He said it was pretty nice, and that he had ordered one to pull behind his "big boat".* That was a real ego booster.* I refrained from telling him that if he had a really big boat he would carry it on the deck.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #28
Master and Commander

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

One challenge you would run into Eric, depending on the size of the NT, is that the funnel also covers the increased headroom required to transit between the pilothouse and saloon.*
The Coot's saloon roof has a raised "rectangle" (2'x2'x1'?) above the passage between saloon and raised pilothouse to provide headroom.* The propane storage "facility" is placed on top.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #29
Master and Commander

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Mark
Little was used as a term of endearment. After all, she's only about a foot less than mine. She is very low freeboard, and that does tend to make her look about 32'. Don't worry, it's not about size, but how you use it.*

Me worry?* I was just jestin' with ya.*

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Guru

A boat for Mark

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

markpierce wrote:

Mark, don't worry about it.* There is no hard rule defining big and little boats.* While docked on Charleston's Mega Dock a guy asked to look at my boat.* He said it was pretty nice, and that he had ordered one to pull behind his "big boat".* That was a real ego booster.* I refrained from telling him that if he had a really big boat he would carry it on the deck.We had reservation plans at a hotel/marina in Victoria for an August weekend, and as I passed there a couple weeks beforehand, I noticed only seventy and eighty footers throughout the marina. Imagining we would appear so small amongst them, I had my wife make us a sign to go above our vessel name on the transom. It read "Tender to", in the same colors as the vessel name. As it turned out, the prior weekend had been a fluke, and the weekend we were there was mostly same size vessels to our own.*

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 10th of January 2011 08:33:50 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 10th of January 2011 08:34:40 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -

Carey--- Wrong discussion for this but you gotta tell these folks about your "portable" power and water connection.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Carey--- Wrong discussion for this but you gotta tell these folks about your "portable" power and water connection.
MarinI think a photo would be required, but remind me when we're at Sucia.*

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #33
Master and Commander

Quote:
Carey wrote:

We had reservationplans at a hotel/marina in Victoria for an August weekend, and as I passed there a couple weeks beforehand, I noticed only seventy and eighty footers throughout the marina. Imagining we would appear so small amongst them, I had my wife make us a sign to go over our vessel name on the transom. It read "Tender to", in the same colors as the vessel name. As it turned out, the prior weekend had been a fluke, and the weekend we were there was mostly same size vessels to our own.*

This "big" boat leaving Victoria, BC towing its "tender" may have been one of smaller ones you saw.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Carey wrote:

We had reservationplans at a hotel/marina in Victoria for an August weekend, and as I passed there a couple weeks beforehand, I noticed only seventy and eighty footers throughout the marina. Imagining we would appear so small amongst them, I had my wife make us a sign to go over our vessel name on the transom. It read "Tender to", in the same colors as the vessel name. As it turned out, the prior weekend had been a fluke, and the weekend we were there was mostly same size vessels to our own.*

This "big" boat leaving Victoria, BC towing its "tender" may have been one of smaller ones you saw.

My plan was to say that our big boat drew too much water to come in, so we had left it at anchor in the Strait of Juan De Fuca.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #35
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I think this is a closeup of the same "Big Boat" taken last summer in Squirrel Cove. Nice lines.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_0916.jpg  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I have always liked lifeslings. I think they make a lot more sense than rings, especialy for getting a hypothermic victim aboard. Unfortunately, the Coast Guard doesn't approve them, so you also have to carry a ring, and if your boat is bigger, with a self illuminating light, and with a 15m floating line. So the Lifesling is relegated to the options list, not the necessaries. We (CCGA inspectors) do approve the lifesling as a stand alone throwing line, so long as its line is long enough.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #37
Master and Commander

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

An office?* Maybe*you're why the standard saloon option includes a desk.* A fellow in Seattle is also having a Coot built.* Instead of a desk, he's getting a house-sized freezer/refrigerator.

Here's a photo of my Coot looking to the forward section of the saloon, with the desk to the left.* (Wood finishing isn't complete.)

Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #38
Master and Commander

Quote:
koliver wrote:

I have always liked lifeslings. I think they make a lot more sense than rings, especialy for getting a hypothermic victim aboard. Unfortunately, the Coast Guard doesn't approve them, so you also have to carry a ring, and if your boat is bigger, with a self illuminating light, and with a 15m floating line. So the Lifesling is relegated to the options list, not the necessaries. We (CCGA inspectors) do approve the lifesling as a stand alone throwing line, so long as its line is long enough.
Why does West Marine say this about the Lifesling 2 and 3*on its internet catalog: "USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV"?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:koliver wrote:
Why does West Marine say this about the Lifesling 2 and 3*on its internet catalog: "USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV"?My guess is because it is actually classified as a Type V, which means it is designed and approved for a specific purpose (shown on it's label), but it meets the requirement that every vessel over 16' is required to carry a Type IV throwable device.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #40
Master and Commander

First leg of transatlantic trip has begun.
Attached Thumbnails
img_4030.jpg   img_4039.jpg   img_4064.jpg