Thanks
Capt.Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Mexico Beach
Vessel Model: 1978 Prairie 29ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA48 View Post
The cycle of life; at 74 I am finally feeling it. I have a guy nowadays do all the work and I watch more than do.
I’m 75 and it makes me mad when people think due to my age I shouldn’t be doing something. Age is just a number to me. I’ve always believed that if you don’t use it, you will loose it. I am very blessed that me and my wife do not take any medication. Due take a bunch of vitamins. Man please don’t let age stop you.
captbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #25
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Welcome, @Capt.Marvin!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your interior work.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:48 AM   #26

City: Placencia
Yesterday some whipper-snapper tells me: "Well now you are about to be 75 (April) is time to sell the boat". I looked at him like he was feeble-minded.

Heck, nowadays just getting into paddle boarding (inflatable) and really complimenting the trawler in the shallow waters of Belize. It folds into a small roll when not in use. (model: https://milled.com/bote-board-us/pin...m85Wq689XxM0cI )

(Will send picture of interior later today)
FA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Mexico Beach
Vessel Model: 1978 Prairie 29ft.
New Flooring

Just put new flooring and framed all the hatches at the same time. I am very pleased the way it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
42AC6F7A-A175-4591-9E4F-F5BC3A3122D7.jpg   43C0D83F-EF82-4731-8E6B-14B609A791B4.jpg  
captbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:26 PM   #28

2023 Interior renovation on Prairie 29ft. #33
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20230207_141028038_HDR.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 11:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbuddy View Post
Just put new flooring and framed all the hatches at the same time. I am very pleased the way it turned out.
Very, very nice.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Prairie 29 - Traveling

I am located on the Gulf coast due east of St. Petersburg, FL. I have had my Prairie 29, Impulse, for just over three years. This country that I have loved so much and for so long has just about worn me out. I am 75 and I grow more weary each day. I think I might have one more big trip in me.

I believe that I might like to go toward Belize and the Rio Dulce in Guatemala, where I would just sit and read and rest and stay until my time is up. I would need to sell some property and clean up estate paperwork but I do believe that I could do all that before the end of this year.

My question is how best to get down there, an estimated distance of just under 1,000 miles with the usual zigs and zags. I have spent much time in Caribbean Mexico and do not really want to repeat that. But Belize and Guatemala hold much fascination for me.

From my current location I could go South to Key West and then skirt the Cuban coast until I hit Cancun, thereupon resting up some and refueling before continuing South. Or, I could follow the northern Gulf coast - Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Bay of Campeche, Isla Mujeres and then South to Belize and Guatemala.

If you were me which way would you go?

My 1979 Prairie 29 has the original Perkins 4-108 but it was completely rebuilt four years ago. I have the receipts and have spoken to the mechanic, who I have a lot of faith in.

So, would you take an old Prairie 29 from here to Belize and the Rio Dulce? If so, what time of year would you go? What would you be watching out for? Would you seriously consider re-powering, maybe with a Beta? Other ideas?

This would likely be a one way trip for me. And also solo but with my 20 pound dog, I suspect.

All thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you. M.
oldhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:01 AM   #31
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I wouldn't repower your boat. Doesn't sound like it needs it.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Location...

I am actually due WEST (not East) of St Petersburg. Gawd!

Post was written in the middle of the night.

I hope my navigating is not as bad as my writing.

M.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:52 PM   #33

Hello Oldhatt: I was up north fishing and finally 'home' again (Placencia) and saw your message.

We probably have a lot in common considering the similarities as to age, a mutual yearning not to 'sit to just die' too early and would like to end it all with one cool last adventure.

I left the U.S. 13 years ago after a complete life from serving in its military (Vietnam 1968-1973), having a few businesses, raising a family (first one), and seeing every inch of it. By 2010 I felt its future direction was not for me at all and besides who wants to repeat doing the same thing in one's last chapter.

The trawler I have "Privasea' (#33) I bought 6 years ago from a German fellow that had it at Rio Dulce himself at least 10+ years; he was 84 at the time when he sold it. They cruised a lot the water inside the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) of Belize like many do, since those are perfect waters for smaller crafts to cruise in, especially a Prairie 29 type (not double haul like a catamaran). It is nothing to see at 50-60 boats in the Placencia harbor from Rio Dulce every winter (November-May), then they go back to Rio and some go back 'home' (to the U.S. & Canada). Many however stay fulltime time in Rio Dulce area or during summer (a fine little town like Placencia) and constantly go to Belize waters on & off.

I suspect 'Privasea' was shipped to Belize at some time either to Barrio, Guatemala or Mango Creek, Belize, both having great shipping harbors. I never asked the previous owner or why it still had a German registry in the first place. Mango Creek is just across the bay from Placencia by the way. Pre-registering before coming is the way to go and there are many ways to accomplish anything in these parts, unlike more formal societies like the U.S. or Canada.

I cruise a lot all the barrier waters north of Placencia all the way to Caye Caulker with mine, in fact it is parked right now 20 miles north of Placencia as I leave it for weeks at a time out of town and use it as a base for local fishing areas. Then travel tom it back and forth with a 25ft. because I live in Plkacencia. I am into flats fly-fishing and use a paddle board to comb the shallow flats out of it.

I highly recommend shipping the boat, after experiencing the Cuba-Cancun passage twice in a 48ft & 54ft single-haul boats not at the best of times and with crazy captains. Being 29ft and about 15k pounds it is really not that much money, I think.

Perhaps flying and visiting Placencia and Rio Dulce area will be a fun and informative trip before hand and deciding which way to go. You are most welcomed to visiting us in Placencia and we be happy to enlighten you the best ways to go about customs, living in these parts, etc etc. We have done such a favor for many folks over the years from NA and even Europe.

Flying back to the U.S. (especially Florida) is a breeze from either place, my whole family including my 102-year old mother and all my sisters are in DeLand, Florida. My 2nd wife (of 13 years) 'needs' to shop in the U.S. every so often (rolls eyes). My slightly older sister (interior decorator) and my wife carry alone like true sisters, and now Belize is my sister's second home; she comes every 2 months. Go figure how life turns out sometimes.

I congratulate you on your mentality, it is understandable. An adventurer's life shouldn't be over when one is 75, on the contrary. We are not alone, there are many of us still.

Trust the above is helpful and what you are thinking is not only doable but makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member

FA48 - Please see Private Message.