What Alternator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeBob

Veteran Member
What alternator for a Perkins 4.236 on my Prairie?

Thanks,
Bob

Almost any alternator will work. It doesn't have to be the one Perkins dealers sell.
There's several on Ebay from $70 up and some used ones, too.

What size is your battery bank, and what kind of batteries are they?

What size is your battery bank, and what kind of batteries are they?

That is my next question. After a 3 hour cruise I was unable to start the port engine. Just click click click. Opening the battery box the problem was evident. The negative terminal of one of the 2 6volt batteries that were wired in series had burned off probably because of a loose connection. The question is, why 2 6volt batteries wired in series when 2, 12 volt batteries wired in parallel would yield the required voltage would, assuming the 6 and 12 volt batteries had the same capacity, yield twice the capacity of the 6 volt setup?

I was very impressed with the single engine handling of my Prairie 36. The return trip took a little longer, but I was able to return to my dock without incident.

Thank-you again ladies and gentlemen. I'm very grateful for all the help I'm receiving here.

Bob

Alternator - ? Need more info

We need more info.

what size house battery bank ?

How do you plan to use the boat ?

Often a regulator can be used to increase the charging profile of the alternator to meet your needs.

Why are you replacing it ? did the old one die & just want a cheap replacement ? or are you trying to upgrade ?

We need more info.

thanks.

Alfa Mike :)

I may have answered my question myself. With only one battery installed in that bank the instruments are still powered. They may be 6 volt instruments. Still too warm to spend much time in the engine room so further investigation on my part will have to wait until late tomorrow or Thursday.

Bob

Hi Alfa Mike,

Don't need a regulator at the moment. I'm making a list of replacement parts so I don't have to research the issue when the time comes.

Bob

I doubt that the gauges are 6V, probably 12V but still may work. Usually you put 2 6V batteries in series to make the 12V because the 6V batteries weigh less than an equivalent 12V battery and are easier to install. I have 4 6V batteries instead of the original 2 8Ds because of size and weight. They are way easier to muscle in.

My bet: 12V guages.

My standard 4.236 alternators were about 55A, internally regulated. I replaced my stbd one with a 120A Balmar regulated externally to 100A due to the 1/2 inch belt width load limit. You'll probably need the Perkins mount.

As mentioned, to get the amps required it's easier for DIYers to lift, hoist, lower and hook up 2 6V golf cart batteries in series than wrestling a behemoth 12v battery in there. Unless you have some young muscle. Also from a $$$. Standpoint. Anything with the 'Marine' label attached is $$$$$$. Golf cart batteries are way easier to get a good deal on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom