Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51
Talking Updating Stray Cat

Having decided to keep Stray Cat, we have started by removing the built in top loading fridge. Not an easy job as it was well installed with 4 inches of insulation on all surfaces and the box was made of a box of plywood and covered with glass resin.

That completed we placed the new fridge located on our starboard side, and we started looking for a means of adding two settees, one on either side with storage built in. We visited a high quality unfinished furniture shop and after much measuring the wood units and the space available in the salon. we were able to purchase a modular unit, a floor display model at a really great price.

Always thinking outside the box, our unit fit our needs perfectly. This was a twin bed unit that is comprised of two pedestal/storage units and a connecting piece of plywood that made up a twin bed. The pedestals each have a set of 2 drawers, 1 deep drawer and a cubby with a door, all 21 inches deep with fully extended drawer glides. One unit will fit each side of the boat.
The units are 72 inches long with the footboard. With the foot board removed the units measure 70 inches, perfect!

The footboard contained a 55 inch long drawer that slides up the center of the bed between the drawers. The long drawer will be installed on the starboard side, forward of the fridge and under the helm. We will make use of the storage that runs the length of both sides of the boat under the exterior decks.

As we progress, I will publish photos..and share our endeavor to make Stray Cat more comfortable for living aboard.
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Since your're digging into 'stray cat' I wanted to ask: Have you taken note of the exhaust hose exit on the transom? I ask, because I noticed that my exhaust hose 'droops' down from the 90 back to the bulkhead penetration, and then droops again in the lazarette, up to the exhaust flange on the transom. Does yours also?

I was debating replacing the 9' run with a piece of fiberglass exhaust pipe, and just having the rubber hose from the water injection elbow to the side 90 . BUT, I realized that with no muffler, that water baffle provided a pretty quiet engine. Now I'm not so sure I want to put a hard pipe in, but keep the droops filled with water!

Wondering how yours compares.

Thanks.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
Having decided to keep Stray Cat, we have started by removing the built in top loading fridge. Not an easy job as it was well installed with 4 inches of insulation on all surfaces and the box was made of a box of plywood and covered with glass resin.

That completed we placed the new fridge located on our starboard side, and we started looking for a means of adding two settees, one on either side with storage built in. We visited a high quality unfinished furniture shop and after much measuring the wood units and the space available in the salon. we were able to purchase a modular unit, a floor display model at a really great price.

Always thinking outside the box, our unit fit our needs perfectly. This was a twin bed unit that is comprised of two pedestal/storage units and a connecting piece of plywood that made up a twin bed. The pedestals each have a set of 2 drawers, 1 deep drawer and a cubby with a door, all 21 inches deep with fully extended drawer glides. One unit will fit each side of the boat.
The units are 72 inches long with the footboard. With the foot board removed the units measure 70 inches, perfect!

The footboard contained a 55 inch long drawer that slides up the center of the bed between the drawers. The long drawer will be installed on the starboard side, forward of the fridge and under the helm. We will make use of the storage that runs the length of both sides of the boat under the exterior decks.

As we progress, I will publish photos..and share our endeavor to make Stray Cat more comfortable for living aboard.
very interesting project do you have some pictures of the projects
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote