Searching for a Prairie 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nosalt

Vessel Name
None Yet
Vessel Make
None Yet
Hi folks,
I'm a new kid on the block and would very much like to find a
classic Prairie 29 to see the world at a much slower human pace.
Any suggestions or ideas will be very much appreciated.
Thanks,

Larry (nosalt)

Two for sale. Florida. Yacht world. One in Port Charlotte and the other in Clearwater.

I can't seem to be able to edit the other post.

I know of four for sale presently

The two on www.yachtworld.com. Listed for 39,000 and 30,000. There is one here in the classified section by Cadillac. And there is one on Long Island (Riverhead) ( but it is in sad shape). But he wants 22,000 for it. But she needs a LOT of work. Not just a clean up and run!

Also (just to make it confusing). Prairie sold the molds to Atlantic in 1981 (or so). They made the 'Atlantic 30 LRT version for three years. A company in Canada seems to have either bought (or more likely did a knock off) called the "Campion Adventurer 300 or the 310'. The difference was a quarter berth UNDER the aft deck (sort of like a coffin!). So there are more varieties out there that are VERY similar. Good luck finding your own. There are two Campions I found in upstate NY. And one on Ontario.

If you are of a mind. The molds currently reside along the highway (Rt 1 south of St Augustine. Iirc it's in OAK Hill Fl or close by. They are quite prominent as you drive by!

Last edited:
searching for Prairie 29

Thanks for your recent suggestions.

I saw the nice job Cadilac did on cleaning up and painting a
78 prairie 29, however it still needs a lot more components
and electronics, running gear, interior furnishings, etc. He
wants $45,000.00 which includes a used engine.

This is all way above my budget but someone else may find it
appealing to their liking.

Still searching!

Thanks again,

Larry (no salt)

If you are of a mind. The molds currently reside along the highway (Rt 1 south of St Augustine. Iirc it's in OAK Hill Fl or close by. They are quite prominent as you drive by!

Interesting! I'm not likely to be down that way for a while, but it would be cool to see. Are the Prairie 36/Atlantic 37 molds there too? Maybe if someone knows the area they could post a link to Google Maps so we can all check it out.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405590812.298972.jpgthis is my 'other' ride.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405590908.486703.jpgand one of the places I go.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405591178.804034.jpgand some of the things I see while there!!

I live down that way and have not seen these molds.
Where is the fiberglass swimming pool manufacturer along rt 1? That is the place that has (had as of 3 years ago) the molds. I can't recall the name of the town it was in, but I saw them.

The memorable thing about the pool manufacturer is their advertisement for what they do is a 'half' an inground pool alongside rt 1 as their name board. It's hard to miss, about 20' long and 12' high.

I just can't recall exactly where it is.

The place also does other fiberglass production, truck toppers, pipes, conduits, etc etc etc.

Not only my eyes, but 'MIss DotDee confirmed it, and this is what led to my original suspicion they were the prairie molds:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Flatsflyer[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]RO# 16388[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Posted - Oct 26 2009 : 18:32:13[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Yes, they where made in Palaka, Fl. I've been told the molds are sitting in St. Augustine, current owner was hoping to use them again until the economy went into the tank.[/FONT]

Last edited:
The Campion Adventurer trawler uses the galley down, similar to the Atlantic version. But all the Campions i have found ALL have 170HP Mercruiser gas engines in them. And Campion elected to use 2X4 stringers covered with a couple layers of fabmat. Every one I saw had complete stringer failure. I picked out some dry rotted wood from a limber hole and showed it to the owner...... He wasn't happy that I 'knew' what was up. Done deal. Watch out for the details.

I have seen a couple Prairie 29s with the galley down. But most have Galley up, with variations of the cupboard, no cupboard, stove, no stove variety.

I REALLY like the three pane glass door on the Atlantic. BUT, my little old Prairie has the original center door!

Attachments

• main door.jpg
    main door.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Looking for trawler 31/Prairie/Campion molds

Hi from Canada
I am looking for those molds are they there still there? Any menber could tell me if they have been seen recently if yes where?
I have gone trough google satelite along Rte 1 south of St Augustine and dont find any swiming pool plant.
help will be apreciate
Thanks
Mike
Picture is from one here in Quebec Canada

Hi Larry

We have an Atlantic 30 (sister ship of the Prairie 29) for sale. She has been winterized and is currently on the hard in Southeastern Massachusetts.

I wish I knew of her before i ventured to Ohio to get mine!! But, I had a rewarding trip down the Erie Canal to bring her home.

Good luck selling her.

Hi folks,
Thanks,

Larry (nosalt)

Did you find? I have one in N. Fort Myers Florida

Hi folks,
Thanks,

Larry (nosalt)

Larry, I have one in North Fort Myers. Still looking?

I'd love to know where those molds are, just for curiosity sake.

Just read this thread for the first time. To satisfy your curiosity, Cappy208 and Sailor of Fortune, at least one set of molds for the Prairie 29 belong to Ken Fickett and have resided at Mirage Manufacturing in Gainesville for more than 10 years.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the Prairie 29 deckhouse mold just behind the two guys in white shirts. Then, to the right of the deckhouse is the front part of the hull mold.

Attachments

• Flipping a hull.jpg
    Flipping a hull.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 153
Just read this thread for the first time. To satisfy your curiosity, Cappy208 and Sailor of Fortune, at least one set of molds for the Prairie 29 belong to Ken Fickett and have resided at Mirage Manufacturing in Gainesville for more than 10 years.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the Prairie 29 deckhouse mold just behind the two guys in white shirts. Then, to the right of the deckhouse is the front part of the hull mold.

Did or does he plan to produce a similar boat?

Some years back, he was planning to do something with a smaller (than the Great Harbours anyway) trawler based on the Prairie molds. But nothing ever came of it.

Hmmmm.. Oak Hill. I will have to walk around and find your vessel! I wish the hull makes a few more rounds.

Is the Prairie still for sale?

I'm in Fort Myers until the end of feb 2015. Send me a PM if it is still for sale.

Dale

Dale.....What is a PM? I can sell or call you. please furnish email and/or number

Gail

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom