Proud Mary renovation status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me rephrase it. When we have completed the 2 month list of things to do. Lol
Good enough?

Also make sure to use the shortest power cord you can and the heaviest gauge.

Double check the panel connections and clean or replace anything that's suspect.

Power plugs and sockets age rapidly in the marine environment and any corrosion

will reduce voltage and add load when you are drawing max watts. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll perform the recommended checks.

IMG_3122.jpg
Since the cold weather delayed our use of epoxying fiberglass we started making luaun templates for the interior dash and berthing area bulkheads.
IMG_3123.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg
IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3127.jpg
I then cut out some Formica for the top of the head and utility closet. After I cut it and put it in position we think we’re changing our minds.

IMG_3128.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3130.jpg
IMG_3131.jpg
I cut and fit some more bead board panels and my pretty wife painted them.

63397894716__BF741391-2835-4F0D-A560-5A8C1FA88B03.jpg
63397896796__6831AC6F-5445-4129-B574-C3DC79B37981.jpg
The canvas shop teased us by sending pictures of the work in progress.

IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3148.jpg
The new plastic storage hatch covers arrived so I fit them into there positions.

IMG_3164.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg
After months of waiting for our turn in the canvas shop backlog we have canvas. We selected strata glass instead of the isenglass . We hope that we don’t regret spending the extra money as it was more than the insurance replacement reimbursement.

Let me rephrase it. When we have completed the 2 month list of things to do. Lol
Good enough?

I don't know. Over the course of any given 2 months, my list only grows.

After months of waiting for our turn in the canvas shop backlog we have canvas. We selected strata glass instead of the isenglass . We hope that we don’t regret spending the extra money as it was more than the insurance replacement reimbursement.

I think you'll be very glad you did the Bimini and enclosure right. It makes that space so much more functional and enjoyable.

It’s really been great to watch your progress on Proud Mary. She deserves to be celebrated with such enthusiasm.

That berth w it’s mid-step is the same as our Willard.
Can be awkward at night. .. the mid-step.

Where was I. We have new updates.
IMG_3181.jpg
We scrapped the idea of putting padded vinyl in the berthing area and pulled out the luaun panels and prepped the walls for furring strips.
IMG_3182.jpg

After tacking the furring strips to the hull we inserted foam insulation and cut aluminum bubble insulation.
IMG_3207.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg

BTW a laser level is worth the cost to make your life easier.

IMG_3197.jpg
We decided we want to add shelves so we did a mock up to agree on the depth and height. We agreed on 20” from the berth and 10” extending from the hull on the ends as it creates at least a one foot deep shelf in the curve of the bow.
IMG_3199.jpg

We agreed that white cedar would make a neat wall covering. Before we installed the planks my wife put on two coats of sealer.
IMG_3304.jpg
IMG_3309.jpg
IMG_3316.jpg
IMG_3321.jpg

Then it was time to get tunes back into the berthing area.
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg
I installed the bead board panel teak trim.
The dark and white contrast looks great.
IMG_3347.jpg

After many hours of careful measurements, then cutting, trimming, drilling and screwing it comes together.
IMG_3371.jpg
IMG_3372.jpg
IMG_3373.jpg
IMG_3374.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg

Using a level on a boat? You are very optimistic.
What is level today may not be level tomorrow.
Depends on loading of fuel, water, stores and other crap plus dock line tension. Dont believe me, fry an egg and watch the egg white as it cooks. (assuming your cooking surface is not gimbaled)
A square is only good for drawing straight lines, not for finding square corners on a boat.
When performing carpentry on a boat, make it fit, make it look good.

Last edited:
That looks wicked friggin' good. I like that white cedar a lot.

Back
Top Bottom