Proud Mary renovation status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to work.
Last summer after three shakedown cruises we put the boat back up on the hard and started to repair our findings.

61619387036__D6019BF1-C91E-427B-83F5-031F4C679C49.jpg
Here we are headed south on the Potomac River.

IMG_2677.jpg
We bought a generator. It kind of works. I think it might be too small for the 16k BTU air conditioner. Or it might be old wiring or new boaters with poor power management.
More for us to learn.

IMG_2680.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg
Between our 1st and 2nd trip we had a freak windstorm whip through the marina and rip apart our canvas. Our insurance company got right on it and sent a check but the canvas shop was so backed up we had to wait for our turn in the fall.

IMG_2704.jpg
IMG_2714.jpg
The trawler had three Nav units and four transducers. I was able to update the software for one of the Nav units and buy a new transducer. Then I removed all the outdated or broken stuff.
Now we have charts, depth and temperature. The trawler has a shallow draft but it’s still nerve racking not knowing the depth when leaving the Potomac channel.

IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg
After the 2nd trip we installed the stainless steel gimbal stove. It was a challenge to find the right parts to ensure everything is safe.
And yes, meals on the trawler do taste better!

IMG_2801.jpg
IMG_2802.jpg
When we took the trawler out for the first time we filled both fuel tanks. We knew the yanmar diesel was economical but weren’t sure how much as our travel partners were stopping regularly for fuel. After doing some wire tracing and I stalling a new switch we know how much fuel we have. It appears we burn about 3/4 gal per hour at 5 knots and about 1.5 gal per hour pushing 7 with an occasional 8 knot burst.

IMG_2799.jpg
Proof that the Garmin works even when the tide is out.

IMG_2830.jpg
Two of our granddaughters and grandma feeding swans right after waking up. Everybody was happy!

IMG_3672.jpg
After our 3rd trip we realized that we were always bumming dinghy rides from our Uber great friends. We found a great deal on a 9.5 ft dinghy with a 9.9 Yamaha outboard. We’re satisfied with its performance.

IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2914.jpg
The marina owner was gracious to let me build a dinghy davit / bench seat which we installed at the end of the dock. It’s nice to get the dinghy out of the water when not using it.

IMG_2951.jpg
IMG_2952.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
As I mentioned earlier we put Proud Mary back on the hard and pitifully converted her with tarps. They are cheap and handy but ugly.

IMG_3033.jpg
When we put the trawler in in the spring the prop shaft packing didn’t leak. It didn’t leak on the 1st or 2nd multi day trips. However, after the 3rd trip it started to drip and no matter how much it was tightened it leaked.
I took the packing nut apart and the Stainless steel prop shaft was pitted with corrosion so that it wouldn’t permit a seal.
We also had vibrations at certain RPMs. I was able to move the prop up and down so the cutlass bearings need replacement.

View attachment 116603
We bought a generator. It kind of works. I think it might be too small for the 16k BTU air conditioner. Or it might be old wiring or new boaters with poor power management.
More for us to learn.

Install a Micro-Air soft starter or a Dometic smart starter on the 16K ac unit and that generator will run it.

IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
I learned that to remove the prop shaft on a 1978 trawler you need to remove the rudder. The reason is that the rudder shaft pivot point is directly in line with the prop shaft. I noticed that the newer boats have the rudder installed slightly off center to enable prop shaft removal while the rudder remains in place.

IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg
If you’ve never removed a cutlass bearing before it’s a fun job right up there with root canals or in-grown toe nail surgery.

IMG_3044.jpg
The old splash screen or wind screen needed replacement.
IMG_3045.jpg
IMG_3047.jpg
After cleaning the old stainless steel mounting brackets and replacing the old hardware everything is aligned to receive the new Lexan. The pictures show the old plexiglass.

IMG_3076.jpg
IMG_3077.jpg
Here’s the new splash screen it’s trim.

IMG_3099.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg
I built a wood frame to make a fiberglass form for a cockpit cover.
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg
With help from friends we did a dry fit to the trawler to see where we need to make adjustments.

Looking good. You certainly have a lot of things going on, keep at it and fix them as they show up. Good luck!

We did buy and install the soft starter. It worked for the first 3 or 4 starts then it wouldn't start anymore. The generator would trigger an overcurrent when the compressor turns on. I don't know if the soft start went bad or if the generator is faulty. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem?

We did buy and install the soft starter. It worked for the first 3 or 4 starts then it wouldn't start anymore. The generator would trigger an overcurrent when the compressor turns on. I don't know if the soft start went bad or if the generator is faulty. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem?
I am in the process of becomming a dealer for these.

There are very few things you have not touched during your refit. SMILE
When you finish, the N boat should near perfect if not perfect.

Since you are using a portable genny, the simple answer is to try another one before you decide the problem is with the soft starter. Then you can enter the warranty claim arena.

Since you are using a portable genny, the simple answer is to try another one before you decide the problem is with the soft starter. Then you can enter the warranty claim arena.

Also make sure to use the shortest power cord you can and the heaviest gauge.
Double check the panel connections and clean or replace anything that's suspect.
Power plugs and sockets age rapidly in the marine environment and any corrosion
will reduce voltage and add load when you are drawing max watts. Good luck! :)

When you finish, the N boat should near perfect if not perfect.

What's this "finish" you speak of?

I know how that word is used ashore, but I've yet to own a boat that's "finished."

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm enjoying watching another Prairie get some love and attention. It helps me remember that all the effort is worth it!

What's this "finish" you speak of?

I know how that word is used ashore, but I've yet to own a boat that's "finished."

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm enjoying watching another Prairie get some love and attention. It helps me remember that all the effort is worth it!

You are so right!
Reminds me of a friend that said he was putting on the final coat of varnish.

Back
Top Bottom