Prairie stress crack side of house.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
Do any prairie owners have info on stress crack on side under window, directly in line with the 'step up' ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401963196.719887.jpg

This happened when I was bringing the old girl home and what started as 1-3' ended as 3-5 with an occasional 6 footer thrown in. It appears that this has been repaired before.

Only on one side (stbd). Port side is fine.

I have a lot of spider web type cracking, but nothing like this. Agree it looks like a prior repair opening up again. I have a few spots on the hull that look like they've been repaired, but I haven't discovered anything topside yet.

I personally would open up the wall on the inside and see if the framing is the problem. Perhaps the sole supporting it has issues. Did you have a lot of weight on the flybridge or rough seas brining her home?

Rough. Forecast 2-4. Built to 3-5 with an occasional 6'er thrown in. Head on. Took it amazingly well. Then noticed this tear the next day.

I slowed down to 4 knots and as the wind dropped it was flat calm by 1800. Great Lakes afternoon sea breeze kicks up quick.

Nothing anywhere near that type of crack on Sue Marie. It does look like a previous repair not done well.

Our 29' behaves very well in head on seas, does well on quarter and stern. Not so hot on beams.

Good luck, keep us posted.

John

The problem was an unseen void in the layup. The plywood core had a void between two pieces. Instead of completely glassing the void in (or reattaching the outer glass to the inner glass) they just skimmed over the gap. Too bad. A weekend of Glasonomy and voila...... All better.

Had to cut off the interior ceiling panel to get at the back. So I scavenged a teak edge piece from the lower panel behind the Fridge to cover the slice up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom