Prairie blisters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
Can any prairie owners share info on hull blisters, delamination issues or other structural issues?

And, how about the drainage in the lazarette outboard of the stringers?

I saw one that had bulkhead rot because there was no limber holes in the stringer to let water into the bilge. Seems the rod / grill holders let water into the outboard side and no way to drain.

Any thoughts, experience?

Thanks

I thought you got prairie blisters from a saddle. Well I'll be...

I have hull # 6, CC 29. No blisters, limber holes work extremely well. Can't help you..

John

I have hull # 6, CC 29. No blisters, limber holes work extremely well. Can't help you..

John

How do you know which hull you have? Is the 4th number of the HIN number the hull number? If that's the case, I'm looking at hull number 4.

Last edited:
I've come across several 29' Prairies here in Florida and have yet to see or hear about one with delamination or structural issues (nearly bought one myself). They are very well built from what I've seen at the yards.

Forget the exact location of the number, it is a 2 digit, 06, for example. In addition on my boat, in the anchor locker, starboard side in bold lettering is written dat 1978 and hull # 6
There is also a bronze plaque Prairie # 6.

John

Thanks. Time will tell. Survey and launch next week!!!! I am so eager I may not be able to hold the camera steady !

How about the Perkins? It has been years since I owned a pleasure boat. By that I mean a pleasurable boat to relax on. What specifically should I have the mechanic look for. So far my list is: Compression test all cylinders, Fuel pressure, and check for fuel oil dilution and the one I'm stumped on how to tell if the heat exchanger is clogged. Short of running hard and seeing if it over heats. What temp does yours run at? 180 to 190?

One thing that concerns me, a drip less shaft seal was installed. But not in the rear. A 3' or so piece of rubber hose was put in from the stuffing box to the mid pillow block bearing. So the shaft seal is only 2.5' from the reduction gear. Seems like a lot of rubber hose to be abraided by the rotating shaft. It does make the shaft seal easier to see. But I'm leery of the length of rubber hose in supported the whole length.

Last edited:
Actually, I knew someone who called his wife The Blister... Then again, my brother calls his wife The Dull Blunt Object, so there you go.

Different engines, Perkins. Some were powered with 4-108,mine, some with 4-154, and some with 4-236. Mine runs between 180-190 +/_ No issues with dripless seal, works great. Items you have targeted are reasonable areas.

Good luck.
John

Just had the bottom of my 1989 Prairie 36 soda-blasted. No sign of any blisters, past or present. On mine, there is a brass plate in the saloon that shows the model and hull number. It's also the first number (after some zeros) in the HIN.

We currently have the Miss Dot Dee up on the hard waiting for the soda blaster to do his thing tomorrow. I have poked and prodded and I'm very intimate with her bottom considering I am her diver as well and I only have one little spot I need to take a further look at once she is blasted clean. In the almost 20 years we have owned her we have only had 3 blisters. the hull is super thick 3/4 inch or so solid fiberglass as we found when we put our thruster in. havent had limber hole issues.

If you really want to know if you have a problem..the minimum is to take out random thru hulls and see if there is moisture between laminations.

3/4 inch isn't all that uch..my boat was almost an inch thick where I found hydrolysis halfway though or about 4 layers of roving and 5 layers of mat.

That isn't even a true test as water could have migrated around the through hull and only random core sampling of the hull will give you the window to hydrolysis and or delam issues.

Boats sitting in warm water all year round for decades are at risk...northern boats that get hauled every years for months are a much lesser risk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom