Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #1

City: Rockledge Florida
Prairie 46

Hello everyone newbie here. My first post. I am currently looking at a vessel being advertised as a 81 Atlantic prairie 46. Iíve been told by someone who seems ďin the knowď that it couldnít be an Atlantic because of its age. The boat does display the prairie but works logo. I see a lot on the 29ís and the 36s I see little to nothing on a 46. The boat is outfitted with six cylinder Perkins, Bow thrusters and stabilizer system. My question is Anybody familiar with this model vessel that can give some wisdom & insight.
See attached photo of manufacture placard
Attached Thumbnails
13CBF640-54E1-4BF2-BEE1-5BD20AB6E319.jpg  

dibiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Wow, I'd never heard of a 46 either.

That's the same manufacturer's plate I have, except mine says 36. Yours is hull #6, so I guess they made at least that many 46's. Could be it was built during the change-over, and so was built as a Prairie but sold as an Atlantic.

Let us know what you find out, I'd love to learn more about my boat's "big sister."

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Looks like a 44 with 2 feet added to the aft cabin during manufacturing.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Welcome aboard!

Nice to see a poster from my home town.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Looks like a 44 with 2 feet added to the aft cabin during manufacturing.
Thatís is interesting
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

You are from Cocoa/Rockledge?! Small world! Where are you now? Do you own a Prairie?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow, I'd never heard of a 46 either.

That's the same manufacturer's plate I have, except mine says 36. Yours is hull #6, so I guess they made at least that many 46's. Could be it was built during the change-over, and so was built as a Prairie but sold as an Atlantic.

Let us know what you find out, I'd love to learn more about my boat's "big sister."
I will keep you posted as I continue my investigation. Thanks for comments
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Never had a Prairie but I do recall the Prairie and Atlantic were the same boat but for some reason, Atlantic would claim their boat is a foot longer than the Prairie. For example the equivalent of the Prairie 29 was the Atlantic 30. The equivalent of the Prairie 36 was the Atlantic 37 and I suspect the equivalent of the Prairie 46 is the Atlantic 47.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Never had a Prairie but I do recall the Prairie and Atlantic were the same boat but for some reason, Atlantic would claim their boat is a foot longer than the Prairie. For example the equivalent of the Prairie 29 was the Atlantic 30. The equivalent of the Prairie 36 was the Atlantic 37 and I suspect the equivalent of the Prairie 46 is the Atlantic 47.
Yes, Atlantic was an early adopter to the practice of adding a foot or two to all their model numbers. As I understand it, they bought the molds and tooling from Prairie. The boats are essentially the same, but they weren't the same company.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

City: Charleston, SC
Did you look at the boat? I'm considering taking a trip down to FL...again.
awood35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
Guru

The OP hasn't been on this forum since the four posts in this thread on January 26/27.

I, too, would be very interested to hear more about this Prairie 46.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
The OP hasn't been on this forum since the four posts in this thread on January 26/27.

I, too, would be very interested to hear more about this Prairie 46.
Looks to be a well taken care of trawler. Additional maintenance items added to the engine, freshwater flush, polisher system, etc. Its got lots of 'comforts of home', one of my favorites is what looks like a pretty large desk area in the aft cabin/stateroom. I may go ahead and make an offer prior to seeing it.

What do you think? Quality boats and fabrication?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981...awler-7294058/
Old 07-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
Guru

It's a Prairie all right. Not just the bronze builder's plaque, but the construction, layout, fit and finish are all Prairie. Same Perkins engines as mine, same federal couplers on the gear, even the fuel tanks look the same.

I consider the build quality on mine to be very good. Obviously anything that age needs a good going-over, but the photos suggest it's had good maintenance. Unless there's something they're not telling, I'd say it's a great deal.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
It's a Prairie all right. Not just the bronze builder's plaque, but the construction, layout, fit and finish are all Prairie. Same Perkins engines as mine, same federal couplers on the gear, even the fuel tanks look the same.

I consider the build quality on mine to be very good. Obviously anything that age needs a good going-over, but the photos suggest it's had good maintenance. Unless there's something they're not telling, I'd say it's a great deal.
Tanks look stainless, aluminium? Definitely not iron tanks like a lot of the MT/Labelles/Albins I have seen lately...
Old 07-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Definitely looks like a Jack Hargrave design; he did most if not all the Prairie/Atlantic models. And of course almost all the Hatteras's and Burgers of that era. Typically have excellent ergonomics.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by awood35 View Post
Tanks look stainless, aluminium? Definitely not iron tanks like a lot of the MT/Labelles/Albins I have seen lately...
Aluminum. The one Prairie design flaw. The tanks are bedded in foam, which holds any water against the aluminum, causing oxidation and ultimately, leaks. The rail stanchion bases are above the tanks, so when the stanchion bedding (eventually) gives out, water leaks in that way. Re-bedding the bases is a required maintenance item on a Prairie.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If I'm not mistaken, that boat sat at Melbourne marina for 5+ years and once, the couple that owned it, came down to spend a week or so aboard and ended up pumping a bunch of oil into the marina... His wife wasn't happy.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Aluminum. The one Prairie design flaw. The tanks are bedded in foam, which holds any water against the aluminum, causing oxidation and ultimately, leaks. The rail stanchion bases are above the tanks, so when the stanchion bedding (eventually) gives out, water leaks in that way. Re-bedding the bases is a required maintenance item on a Prairie.
Aluminum is a great tank material. Stainless is much worse at crevice corrosion. On 20-40-ish year old boats, I'd say stanchion bedding is an essential PM regardless.

Why they encased them in foam I have no idea. One thing brilliant in a lot of Hargrave designs, such as my old Hatteras 56MY, was tanks molded into the fiberglass hull down the centerline.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that boat sat at Melbourne marina for 5+ years and once, the couple that owned it, came down to spend a week or so aboard and ended up pumping a bunch of oil into the marina... His wife wasn't happy.
How does one pump oil out?
Anyway to confirm it was this one? "Golden Age"
Old 07-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #20
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by awood35 View Post
How does one pump oil out?
Anyway to confirm it was this one? "Golden Age"
Easy to do with an older engine that has an oil leak into the bilge. Happened to me.
Also diesel dripping into the bilge can leave quite a sheen when the pump kicks on.

KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic, prairie