Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #101
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Iirc, doesn’t the deck have some camber to it? I would think using the previous installed bases would be much easier to cut to height and ‘plug in’ the posts to the existing bases than trying to match the angle, bolt hole pattern to prevent more holes (leaks) in overhead.
Good point to having to match up the same bolt hole pattern for the bases if I had to repair or replace it. Thanks.
Yes the deck does have some slight camber to it. However, by leaving the bases secured to the stanchions when installing it I'm hoping the single railing across the back will take the appropriate shape.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #102
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Are the bases slightly angled? Or do the vertical pipes have to flex a little to make the base sit flat on deck? It would seem to me to leave the bases alone that are tight already. The trick is to make the verticals line up directly over them during fabrication. This is why during replacement it is often done with a few verticals using the clamp on connections on top. Easier to line up, and make it all fit.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #103
Guru

Two thoughts. You can leave the rail flat, and cut the verticals to match the camber. Or flex the rail to (sort of) meet the camber. And as long as the measurements (green lines) between the Stantions are pretty accurate Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	74171you should be fine flexing them into the exit sting bases. Have you removed the old ones? (In the picture?). Or are they still installed? As long as the pipes fit in them. Just reuse the old ones.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #104
FOG
Guru

Cappy,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Since there is a very slight camber or crown in in this area, I'm going to use the flat jig I made in my driveway. I'm hoping once welded up, the single aft railing that transverses the deck in the direction of your green arrow will shape itself to the crown of the deck or stay almost straight.

This is a new install. There was no previous railing, stanchions, or mounts on this area of the boat to use for reference.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you do have a problem with the camber, you can use thickened epoxy under the stanchions to conform to the deck camber. Cover the stanchion bases with wax paper and set the bases in the bed of epoxy and let it cure. Pull the bases off and then drill and properly bed the bases. The epoxy will fill the slight gap between the base and the deck. If you need to screw the bases down temporarily coat the screws with wax of Pam non stick coating so you can remove them after the epoxy sets up.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #106
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If you do have a problem with the camber, you can use thickened epoxy under the stanchions to conform to the deck camber. Cover the stanchion bases with wax paper and set the bases in the bed of epoxy and let it cure. Pull the bases off and then drill and properly bed the bases. The epoxy will fill the slight gap between the base and the deck. If you need to screw the bases down temporarily coat the screws with wax of Pam non stick coating so you can remove them after the epoxy sets up.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion. However, I'm hoping the railing will flex enough so I don't have to take this step. The camber is very slight so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Welding is scheduled for Monday. At this point I'm planning NOT to have the bases welded to the stanchions.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #107
FOG
Guru

I was able to get the railing on the aft cabin installed. The rail across the aft section did not conform to the deck crown exactly as I had hoped, but I’m happy with the result, especially for a DIY job. Still need to polish up the welds.
Attached Thumbnails
3017E461-D747-46D1-ABE9-03E356F86F24.jpg   A2559929-04DA-4BB9-83BF-C239E4CB733F.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #108
FOG
Guru

Oops.
Attached Thumbnails
EB0A9EF3-B8DE-49ED-9918-8E0D97F907CC.jpg   398C972E-002E-430A-AE9B-BDD164DD7BC8.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #109
FOG
Guru

Sorry. I don’t know why the photos are still upside down after rotating them 180*.
First post with the new IPad.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

The dreaded upside down photos. No idea why or how to fix it. About half of my photos are upside down. Glad you got the rail to fit.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #111
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Nice work! Maybe your camera is an Australian model?

Seriously, the "problem" is that iOS uses a non-standard format for rotating photos. It'll look find on your i-device, but nowhere else. My solution is to not own anything from Apple, but I realize that's not for everyone.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #112
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Should I have him weld the stanchions to the bases?

There is currently 2 set screws that secure the stanchion to each base. I thought it might be stronger if they were welded in place. However, I do like the idea that I could remove the railing without unscrewing the bases from the deck. In case it might need a repair or modification in the future.

Any thoughts?
You could epoxy them into the bases (in addition to the set screws). That should add considerable strength.

If you need to remove them in the future, just apply a heat gun to the base.

Just a thought. (OOPS! I see I'm too late.....)
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #113
FOG
Guru

Thanks guys. I had some trouble with posting photos some time ago when taken from my Iphone. However, after sending them to my laptop, rotating them, and then uploading them, they were fine. So I guess I’ll have to go back to that routine.

Boathealer, thanks for that suggestion. I’ll put that on the “to do” list.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #114
Guru

Great results. Awesome project. Wondering how you bent the SS rail? Looks very smooth.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #115
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Great results. Awesome project. Wondering how you bent the SS rail? Looks very smooth.
Thanks Cappy. I had a fabricator do the 4 bends. The difficult part was finding a fabricator that could bend the SS rail in Wilmington, NC. Most of the fabricators in that area work with aluminum only.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #116
FOG
Guru

Sorry if anyone suffered a neck injury.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1358.jpg   IMG_1359.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Looks nice, much nicer right side up... My photos are usually upside down.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #118
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Looking at those pics reminds me: I've seen some Prairies with canvas between the stanchions on the trunk cabin ("sundeck") railing. I like the look, but I'm wondering what the extra windage will do. This thing already sails quite a bit.

Thoughts?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #119
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Looks nice, much nicer right side up... My photos are usually upside down.
Thanks. It appears that I will have to continue posting photos from my laptop. I tried to skip that step and post them directly from our new iPad. Even though both allow me to rotate the photos, the iPad photos still end up 180* out.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #120
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Looking at those pics reminds me: I've seen some Prairies with canvas between the stanchions on the trunk cabin ("sundeck") railing. I like the look, but I'm wondering what the extra windage will do. This thing already sails quite a bit.

Thoughts?
I agree with you on the windage issue. But not sure if I would like the look, especially in the corners.
If the canvas was only between the stanchions, the corners would be open. I think that would look strange.
To put the canvas in the corners around the radius you would need some attachment points on the deck with the same curve. That’s more work and expense. A better look, but not sure if it’s worth it.
Definitely something to think about.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I’ve got another thing on my list.