Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #161
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16,289
My luck with plumbing I would come back to a boat full of water...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #162
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,428
Was this the grey plastic "Qest" fittings? They had a very bad reputation in the building industry and are no longer used. Anytime I work on some part of the system, I've been replacing what I can with PEX. Actually, I can't complain, they've held up well and you can still buy fittings, but PEX is the newer standard.

Trick with Qest: hand-tighten just until they squeak. No more!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #163
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Was this the grey plastic "Qest" fittings? They had a very bad reputation in the building industry and are no longer used. Anytime I work on some part of the system, I've been replacing what I can with PEX. Actually, I can't complain, they've held up well and you can still buy fittings, but PEX is the newer standard.

Trick with Qest: hand-tighten just until they squeak. No more!
They are grey and plastic. Next time Im at the boat Ill check to see if I can see Qest written on any of the parts.

If there are PEX fittings that work with the grey plastic tubing on the boat, that would be great. This time I was going from the grey plastic tubing into a brass elbow with a pipe fitting. So I used the brass 1/2 compression fitting on the grey plastic tubing which had a 1/2 pipe fitting on the other end that connected to the brass elbow.

This is the cold line coming though the bulkhead just above the shelf under the galley sink. May be the same on your boat. Its just a b**ch working in that confined area.

Next time if Im going plastic to plastic Ill check out the PEX fittings. Thanks for the tip.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #164
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,428
I don't know if you'll find a marking on the Qest stuff. But if it's grey and plastic, that's it.

The good news is, the threads are the same as normal plumbing fittings. It's pretty easy to go from a Qest fitting to just about anything else. And, as bad as their reputation is in houses, they've held up pretty well on my boat for 38 years now.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #165
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't know if you'll find a marking on the Qest stuff. But if it's grey and plastic, that's it.

The good news is, the threads are the same as normal plumbing fittings. It's pretty easy to go from a Qest fitting to just about anything else. And, as bad as their reputation is in houses, they've held up pretty well on my boat for 38 years now.
That is good news. I was surprised and delighted to find this out. However, the scary thing for me was connecting the plastic fittings to the brass fittings on the new faucet. If youre not very careful they are easy to cross thread.

It took me several tries to get the plastic tubing lined up so the nut fitting would thread nicely by hand onto the new faucet. BTW, I could only get one hand in there to line things up and turn the nut simultaneously.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #166
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Auto Pilot Project - Maybe

When I purchased our Prairie 36 there was not an auto pilot in the listing. However, there was a circuit breaker for one on the electrical panel. The broker said it was not working and had been removed.

A few weeks ago I found the Course Setter 21 by Benmar control in the fly bridge cabinet piled up with some other stuff. There was a cable attached but a little bit of water started coming out of the plastic enclosure so of course I didn't turn it on.

I couldn't find manuals, but thanks to Sam here on the forum I now have an electronic set. When I opened the enclosure I found the compass cylinder is filled with a fluid. I think the fluid is suppose to be there but I'm not 100% sure. The manual doesn't say anything about it but it does say that is should be mounted level. So I think the compass needs to float like a regular compass.

I have a theory on how the compass may be providing electronic signals to the auto pilot circuitry but before I dig any further I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Anyone have experience with this model?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1441.jpg  
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #167
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
New Pantry

So does adding a couple of shelves to a closet now make it a pantry?

The admiral says she needs more storage space, so this was the logical place for some shelves and her additional stuff. Still need to paint and maybe put on some fiddles.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1446.jpg  
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #168
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16,289
Looking good.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #169
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
So does adding a couple of shelves to a closet now make it a pantry?

The admiral says she needs more storage space, so this was the logical place for some shelves and her additional stuff. Still need to paint and maybe put on some fiddles.
Our bunk closet is now our pantry we did the same thing
__________________
Alan
Skype roatan63
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #170
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Closets Closets

On the Prairie 36 there is another closet inside of this closet. Open the large hinged door and you have access to wiring, gauges, and control cables, etc. behind the lower helm.

I still wanted access to this area, but didnt want to have to remove all of the pantry shelves. So I mounted the lower shelf just below the inside hinged door. That shelf is made of 3/4 plywood. I can kneel, sit, or stand on it to work on stuff inside the inner closet.

The upper shelf is cut so half of it can be easily removed and the inside closet hinged door opened for access. As with most things on a boat, this was just another compromise.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #171
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
More Storage

The Admiral and I were mapping where things would be stored on the boat today and I had forgotten about one of the easiest improvements I had made to our Prairie 36.

It's a simple Dock Box that adds several cubic feet of easy to get to storage. I found one that fits nicely between the two aft cabin port lights. All I had to do was buy it and put it on board.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0938.jpg  
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #172
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16,289
We mounted a deck box on the bow of our boat. Really love the storage for dock lines.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #173
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
The Admiral and I were mapping where things would be stored on the boat today and I had forgotten about one of the easiest improvements I had made to our Prairie 36.

It's a simple Dock Box that adds several cubic feet of easy to get to storage. I found one that fits nicely between the two aft cabin port lights. All I had to do was buy it and put it on board.
A PO had put two dock boxes on my boat; one just aft of the mast, and one centered aft on the flybridge. I can't imagine being without them. I'll have to think about whether I want to take up that much space in the tiny "cockpit" area, but it seems like it would be very handy to have one there!

Looking at the price of dock boxes, I was seriously thinking about the storage box/bench products they sell as patio furniture. Removing the "marine" aspect lowers the price considerably, but some seem pretty well made.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #174
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Dave,

How did you secure the dock box to the deck? Screws or through bolt or ?
Seems like there could be a lot of action on the bow.


Tom,

I like the aft of the mast idea for the dock box, but you would have to move it every time you needed to drop the mast for a bridge while doing the Loop. I do need to side step around it while moving from side to side in the cockpit. Something to think about.

Our fly bridges must be different. Mine has seating with storage underneath that is L shaped from the port side to the aft part of the fly bridge. Also another seat and storage on the starboard side.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #175
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16,289
I epoxied an aluminum plate in each end of the dock box. Then through bolted a 2x3 inch aluminum tube to the deck at each end of the dock box and through bolted the dock box to the aluminum tubes. I couldnt directly bolt the dock box to the deck due to the camber of the deck. With the tubes it allowed the box to sit above the camber and also lets me hose out under the dock box when leaves and stuff gets under the dock box.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #176
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I epoxied an aluminum plate in each end of the dock box. Then through bolted a 2x3 inch aluminum tube to the deck at each end of the dock box and through bolted the dock box to the aluminum tubes. I couldnt directly bolt the dock box to the deck due to the camber of the deck. With the tubes it allowed the box to sit above the camber and also lets me hose out under the dock box when leaves and stuff gets under the dock box.
Great work. I dont think that dock box is going anywhere.

I bought my dock box used and it has about 1 x 2 teak cleats at each end that compensate for the deck camber. Im just planning to use some caulking under the teak to secure it to the deck.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #177
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Dave,

How did you secure the dock box to the deck? Screws or through bolt or ?
Seems like there could be a lot of action on the bow.


Tom,

I like the aft of the mast idea for the dock box, but you would have to move it every time you needed to drop the mast for a bridge while doing the Loop. I do need to side step around it while moving from side to side in the cockpit. Something to think about.

Our fly bridges must be different. Mine has seating with storage underneath that is L shaped from the port side to the aft part of the fly bridge. Also another seat and storage on the starboard side.
My dock boxes are secured with small wooden "L" shaped blocks at each corner. These prevent the "feet" at each corner from sliding. The whole box stands a couple of inches above the deck in the middle, which solves the camber issue.

It's not too hard to lift it up high enough to clear the blocks and slide it out of the way to drop the mast. The dock box doubles as a nice place to sit at night and watch the stars.

Yes, there are two (or more) flybridge designs. Mine has seating port and starboard which are molded into the helm area, and open space aft. Again, the flybridge dock box doubles as seating. We have a folding bench seat from West Marine that we put on the dock boxes if we want back support. We call it the "Granny Seat" after Granny Clampett's seat on the Beverly Hillbilly's truck.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #178
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My dock boxes are secured with small wooden "L" shaped blocks at each corner. These prevent the "feet" at each corner from sliding. The whole box stands a couple of inches above the deck in the middle, which solves the camber issue.

It's not too hard to lift it up high enough to clear the blocks and slide it out of the way to drop the mast. The dock box doubles as a nice place to sit at night and watch the stars.

Yes, there are two (or more) flybridge designs. Mine has seating port and starboard which are molded into the helm area, and open space aft. Again, the flybridge dock box doubles as seating. We have a folding bench seat from West Marine that we put on the dock boxes if we want back support. We call it the "Granny Seat" after Granny Clampett's seat on the Beverly Hillbilly's truck.
I like how your dock box is mounted on the aft deck.
Im going to give that idea more consideration.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #179
FOG
Guru
 
FOG's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 550
Carpeting

Do you guys just put carpet over the plywood flooring? This would be for the aft cabin and V berth areas. Just carpet or padding underneath? Staple it down or double sided tape?

In all of my sailboats, there was never carpet. So carpet in a boat is a new concept for me.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #180
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,428
A PO of my boat put down Pergo (or similar) flooring in the cabins. It's actually pretty good.

My disaster is the saloon. I pulled up the vinyl self-stick squares and replaced with a much better quality vinyl plank material, but between the old adhesive and the number of rounded edges on the hatches and hatch openings, it looks like crap again.

Anyone have any suggestions for something to cover the saloon sole? It can't be a floating floor covering, because there's more hatch area than not. There are a lot of edges to deal with on the hatches, and the hatch openings. It can't be very thick, or it won't match up with the trim at the stairs (fore and aft.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012