Prairie 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dweller

Veteran Member
We are the new owners of the 1980 Prairie 36, formerly known as Tutch O' Dutch. We'll be changing the name to Prairie Dog as we apply for a transfer of the documentation.

It's basically in sound condition, and the surveyor rated everything as "above average," which he said was unusual for a boat of this age. Lots of little projects, but nothing major.

Twin Perkins 4-236 and a Westerbeke generator. LP stove and refrigerator, which is different than all other Prairies that we've seen.

Would welcome corresponding with other 36 owners.

Attachments

• transomwithname.jpg
    transomwithname.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 192
Hello and Congratulations on the new boat!

We have owned a 37 Atlantic Double Cabin sister ship of yours since last spring. Our is a 1988 with the galley down and bunks and we absolutely lover her.

I have seen a couple different plans for the Prairie's - is your galley up or down, and v-berth? We love space in the salon from the wide beam and people are amazed that the boat is only a 37'

I have seen a couple of other folks on the site with your boat that should be along soon.

We have twin Detroit 8.2's which is way too much for the cruising we do at hull speed, but it is fun to occasionally get up on plane. I think the Perkins are perfect for the boat.

Cool idea on the photoshop on the new name!! :thumb: Looks great!

Good day:

Last summer we repatriated our Prairie 29 from Sandusky Oh. Awesome little BIG cruiser. Having nothing bad to say. I can only relate look for the fuel tank fills and hoses to the tanks. That would be my sore spot. The wiring and the grounds would be another issue. Other than those issues, these are pretty bullet proof cruisers.

Welcome aboard! Nice boat you've gotten yourself! Enjoy it! Where will it call home?

Welcome aboard! Nice boat you've gotten yourself! Enjoy it! Where will it call home?

We're going to use it as a winter cruising boat in Florida. She's currently stored on the hard at Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage, in Placida, FL. Will be going down before Thanksgiving to prep her and start on the long list of little projects.

Welcome aboard. Nice rig. Our 29 is a good boat, no real issues except those identified by Cappy208.

John

I have seen a couple of other folks on the site with your boat that should be along soon.

Uh... that would be me ;) Sorry it took so long, I was out on the boat all weekend.

Welcome! There aren't too many of us Prairie 36'ers around, so any effort to get together to share notes is always welcome.

Our 1980 36 (hull number 23) was upgraded to Perkins 6 cyl turbos in 1982. Configuration is galley up, full V-berth forward and centerline master berth. In our 3rd year of ownership, still loving the layout. I really didn't want or need the extra horsepower, but that's what this one had.

Feel free to ask about questions as they come up!

Uh... that would be me ;) Sorry it took so long, I was out on the boat all weekend.

Welcome! There aren't too many of us Prairie 36'ers around, so any effort to get together to share notes is always welcome.

Our 1980 36 (hull number 23) was upgraded to Perkins 6 cyl turbos in 1982. Configuration is galley up, full V-berth forward and centerline master berth. In our 3rd year of ownership, still loving the layout. I really didn't want or need the extra horsepower, but that's what this one had.

Feel free to ask about questions as they come up!

Thanks. My hull id@ is PBJ000210280-36. Does that identify what my hull number is? I'm guessing that "80" and "-36" identifies the year and Prairie 36, but what do the other numbers indicate?

Ron

Hull number 21. PBJ is the builder. 80 is the year, 36 is the length. Not sure about the other "2".

You should have a brass plaque with the hull number, too.

Our boats are close sisters! I wonder who has hull #22?

Hull #

Thanks. There is a plaque, but the boat is about 1200 miles away, and I can't recall what the plaque said.

One note: my engine access hatch is very small. The other 36s I looked at had huge access hatches, but mine is about 18" x 24". I examined the structure underneath the salon floor, but couldn't see anything that had obviously been changed. The small hatch makes the engine room pretty dark and dismal.

Ron

I added LEDs' to mine, pic attached is taken with a phone, no flash....ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434487002.042760.jpg

Yes, seeing all the problems is the only downside. I got these from Amazon, one roll did the whole ER.

360deal smd 5630 White Waterproof 300 LED Fleixbe Strip 12V DC

http://www.amazon.com/360deal-5630-White-Waterproof-Fleixbe/dp/B00IJR1ZSM

I would recommend buying automotive grade 3M double sided tape (grey spongy stuff), the adhesive on the leds' it's pretty weak. One year, and one very cold winter later, it seems to be holding up well.

Congratulations! Nice a$$, ur stern.

We haven't see dweller in a while. That boat (Hull #21) was for sale in Port Charlotte back in June of this year, last I knew. This is an eight-year-old thread. I think dweller had at least one other boat since owning the Prairie.

Good evening Captain Tom yes I’ve seen it for sale. Was thinking about purchasing. Wondering if you knew any info on this boat

The former “Prairie Dog “ is sitting for sale not 100 feet away. Here is the contact info:
Ship To Shore Sales
941-234-3949
Angie Ormand

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Prairie Dog became "Don't Worry"

Prairie Dog became "Don't Worry. A gentleman bought it in November and has decided to sell it to me. I'm working on securing insurance. Going to Peter Ricks. My plan is to rename it Prairie Dog. Bob Hart in Punta Gorda. New member.

Welcome! That's a great boat, you're going to love it!

Keep us posted here (or, start a new thread for your new adventure.)

Oh, and, pictures when you can!

Edit: I just saw the previous owner posted this boat for sale on the Facebook Prairie owner's group. It was posted after I started this post here. Are you sure he agreed to sell it to you?

Last edited:

Hi Capt Tom,
We agreed to the deal yesterday subject to me getting insurance.
He's helping me. I got a survey from 4/2022!
Where are you in Maine?
I had a 1957 Matthews 42' Cabin Cruiser at DiMillos from 1991-97.
Built for Marshall Fields wife. They had or probably still have an estate on Isleboro.
I've got some tank issues but one good fuel, water and holding tank and I have that. What do you think of returning it to Prairie Dog> Great name.
Thanks!

Restoring the name Prairie Dog is a great idea. I'm not a fan of names which tempt fate.

After some research I found that they have places they call prairies in Florida, not too far from where our boats were built. I suppose that must be where the company name came from. Not the true prairies of the West.

I'm curious about your tank problems. So far I've been lucky with my four aluminum tanks, but I know because of the way they're bedded in foam that I'm on borrowed time. I'll be interested to see how you solve that problem. I'd be heeled over pretty badly if I could only use one fuel tank!

I'm South of Portland, so if you ever head back up that way, we'll have to have our boats pose for side-by-side photos. It's rare to see another Prairie around here.

Sorry Tom, I don't see us cruising to Maine. There's a couple here in my marina in Punta Gorda FL that cruised in their power boat from Maine with dual 454 gassers. They spent $13K on fuel! They shipped it back. I managed to get the insurance coverage I wanted and will send the deposit to the seller tomorrow. I have an Allmand 31 sailboat to sell and the sellers working with me on that. The Prairie has a little more "style" than your average trawler and the layout is good. I will be using it more as a condo on the water so all I need is one good fuel tank, water tank and holding tank for now. I would be inclined to replace with smaller tanks than the originals. Happy Cruising! I loved cruising in Maine out of Dimillos. In Florida, the coast is bare and there are a few coves off the intercoastal that everybody goes too. I've never been a Marina hopper. In Key West area, slips and moorings are full and places to drop the hock are even full in some places. Crazy! Actually, the world is crazy but that's another discussion for another website!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom