Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

City: Rockledge, FL
Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Dinghy and Davit Research

Hi All! We would like to have a dinghy on our Prairie 29 and would like to know if any of you have a dinghy - if you do, what kind is it? If you have one, how do you haul it? Do you tow it or is it attached with davits?

Thanks in advance,

Karen and Marty
Rockledge, FL
Fitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I've got a boat of about the same size as yours. Bought a 8' 9" Quicksilver (Mercury) airdeck for my dink. I've had quicksilvers in the past...Very nice quality, Big tubes, great stability..Defender has some deals on non-current models that won't break he bank.. While in the past I towed (sailboat), I'll be installing some weaver snap davits on the Cape Dory's swim platform.
This seems the simplest and most affordable way to go. About $1400 for the whole set-up...Boat and davits. It should make for a set-up that meets my needs...I don't mind towing, but the snap davits will allow storage out of the water when at the dock..

Snap davits work like this if you're not familiar with them..
Old 04-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Trinka 10 ft fiberglass . Just had these davits made .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #4

City: Rockledge, FL
Vessel Name: Impulse
Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply. We looked at the Weaver Davits - what will they attach to on the Quicksilver?
Fitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnut View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply. We looked at the Weaver Davits - what will they attach to on the Quicksilver?
No problem!
there are pads that you glue to the dink. The pads have a stainless hook that snaps into the Davit pivot which is mounted on the platform...These are pretty widely used here and elsewhere..
Some more pics and ordering info here:

Weaver Snap Davits
Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I just installed one of these and love it:

Hurley Traditional Dinghy Davit System - Hurley Marine
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I just installed one of these and love it:

Hurley Traditional Dinghy Davit System - Hurley Marine
Those are very nice, but likely won't work on our smaller boats/Platforms..Just not enough room unless you extend the Hurley system out well beyond the platform..

The problem with small cruising boats...Cramming a lot of stuff into minimal space!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
We prefer a hardshell dinghy over an inflatable or RIB for a number of reasons.After doing a fair amount of research into the pros and cons of fabric vs. hardshell dinghies, we installed a 9' Livingston on our boat about 16 years ago. It's a terrific shore/utility/fishing dinghy but it does have some limitations, specifically its freeboard when when it's carrying a heavier load.

If you plan on using a dinghy to go longer distances with a load in water that can be choppy or rough, the Livingston, at least in the smaller sizes, is not a particularly good choice in our opinions.

A far better choice for these conditions is the 10' Bullfrog. It has the floatation of an inflatable or RIB but not the finite life of a fabric-tube boat and it can be powered to be quite fast with a good ride. However they are fairly expensive new, and they are quite heavy for their size.

For utility work in calm or reasonably calm waters a Livingston is nigh on indestructible and it's extremely stable. Ours was made by the original manufacturer here in Washington State. The company has since been sold and Livingstons are now made somewhere on the east coast (I think). I do not know how the boats made today compare with the originals.

The photo shows our friend's 36' lobsterboat with their 10' Bullfrog on custom davits and (rafted outboard) our 36' boat with the 9' Livingston on the swimstep in Weaver Davits. To keep the weight on the swimstep down, we powered our Livingston with a 4hp 4-stroke Yamaha. IIRC, the 9' Livingston is rated for up to 10 hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We like our custom davits. They also hold the kayak and solar panels. Expensive but worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6426.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	39805

Name:	DSCN6519.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	39806

Name:	DSCN6509.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	39807

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I`m in the process of fitting a dinghy lifting system too. A swing up "davit" I bought just arrived from USA, see http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi.../ad/davit/html but I`m have second thoughts about fitting them, the dinghy on swimstep does zilch for my vision while reverse parking.
So I`m looking at a system being sold locally (which I think is really a St Croix), a removable crane system to lift the dinghy to the unused extended aft flybridge. If someone has a St Croix crane or knows about them, I`d appreciate the input.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Trinka 10 ft fiberglass . Just had these davits made .
I'd much prefer a ten-foot Trinka over my eight-footer, but eight feet is all I've got unless purchasing/installing davits and ruining rearward view.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Dinghy and Davit Research

Hi. I have been wrestling with this same issue. The swim platform is too short to both use as a dinghy storage area, AND use for egress when the dinghy is on it. I am contemplating installing a transom door for easier boarding via the platform. But that would make the dinghy even more in the way.

One solution I saw from a member on here was a hard shell dinghy hoisted vertically on the transom. Off to one side, so at least some of the transom was usable. I'll try to get a link to his boat. (Miss Dot Dee) http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...t.php?p=243704
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
As a previous owner of a P29 for 6 years, I always towed. There is just not enough space to bring it aboard. The swim platform was not big enough for Weaver davits. If you put classic davits off of the stern, I think that would work.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote