Old 11-25-2016, 02:48 AM   #1

City: Clearwater beach
Vessel Name: KNOT GUILTY
Vessel Model: 1981 prairie 36
Question Prairie in green cove springs

Was wondering if anyone out there had any info on the 36 that's for sale up there in green cove springs
Any and all would be greatly appreciated looking to get out of my sailboat ⛵️ and move up to a trawler
Aquahulic 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
This one?

1981 Prairie (Jack Hargrave Design) 36 Trawler Power Boat For Sale -

Welcome to the forum!
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
They should be giving that one away.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
They should be giving that one away.
I don't agree.

She looks like she has been sitting outside for a while. Maybe a yard sell-off due to unpaid bills.

Sure she need a lot of TLC, but the photographs are pretty poor. Everything you need is there. If you want to live aboard and enjoy her while you work on her, I see the potential.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Oh my...BUT, this is one of the better listings I've seen on YW. NOT necessarily the boat but the listing. Pretty comprehensive photo collection including the machinery spaces. Hence my comment...Oh my...

The price seems to honestly reflect the condition. Well done Melanie Neale.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
The broker said it best: "Esmeralda" is a great value for someone who is ready to roll up his or her sleeves and put some work into her!

This might be the understatement of the year.

Man, that's a sad state to see a Prairie 36 in!

I'd be very concerned about the condition of everything mechanical and electrical. The electronics need to be ripped out and totally replaced. That homemade hard top would be a great idea, IF it were done right. I'm not so sure on that. I'm not a fan of using a window air conditioner. Two new "proper" marine AC units would be on my list. The pictures show vents for that, so you might get lucky there. I actually took the pulpit off mine, to fit in the slip I already owned, so I can tell you that's a viable option. From the pics I'm thinking gelcoat refinishing would be needed all around. Places where there's deck coring would need to be checked. The hull on these were solid, so that might be OK. I noticed the signs of standing water in the bathtub. Where did that come from? Then there's things like the condition of the (aluminum) tanks to look at.

There seems to be a lot of "customization" of the interior, of questionably craftsmanship. But overall the interior doesn't look too bad. Maybe it was a dock queen liveaboard and the basic "house" systems are OK. The lay-out of this boat is great, we love ours. The hull is rugged.

My guess is that the asking price is wishful thinking. This thing is an anchor chain around someone's neck. You'd be doing them a favor to take it off their hands at half that. You'd be in for a LOT of work, and even more expense, but if you're into project boats, this could turn out well. Personally, I'd love to see it saved.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
That's the one with the cracked bowsprit. I thought of it then compared to a Prairie 36 in the same area that sells for 40K but in great condition. With the cost of repairs, the more expensive one was a much better deal.
I still have the broker's emails: message me.
In the end, I bought a 29 in good shape: I have a small dock and don't want to work that much on the boat..

If you do everything yourself and do not count your labor, it can be OK.
jacquesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Would anyone care to comment on the Prairie 36 at Port Credit, Ontario?

1980 Prairie Trawler 36 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Enigma

Greetings,
Oh boy. Am I out of the loop! I haven't been following vessel prices so the Prairie in Green Cove Springs appeared to be decently priced @ $18K but seeing the one in Port Credit, $18K is too much. Based on this, my only comment would be get a good survey on ANY boat and this should determine what you're getting into...
Old 11-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Guru

Why oh why do people use flimsy domestic stools as a helm chairs, that is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. m. "...use flimsy domestic stools as a helm chairs," Well, I'm guessing they don't have the space or $$ for one of these.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Guru

~$150
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #13

Thank you all very much for all of the info and your time i have taken the time to drive from Clearwater Florida up to Greencove springs and physically climbed aboard the boat and looked it over myself as I am mechanically inclined and all the wiring and motors and everything seems to be in exceptionally good shape will keep you informed as I have it in contract as of today
Old 11-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahulic 36 View Post
Thank you all very much for all of the info and your time i have taken the time to drive from Clearwater Florida up to Greencove springs and physically climbed aboard the boat and looked it over myself as I am mechanically inclined and all the wiring and motors and everything seems to be in exceptionally good shape will keep you informed as I have it in contract as of today
OK, once you get it your job on here is to post pictures and narratives of all of these projects. It would be great to see it come back to life!
Old 11-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahulic 36 View Post
Sounds like a fun project, and not all that much money invested. As others have said, please keep us updated on the progress, since those of us who are NOT mechanically inclined still like to be able to ride along.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Guru

Good luck! I too would love to see your progress. I hope you're able to restore this old girl, these are great boats. We've got a few Prairie owners here, so feel free to come back with any questions.

Pictures or it never happened!!
Old 11-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Would anyone care to comment on the Prairie 36 at Port Credit, Ontario?

1980 Prairie Trawler 36 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Now that's got some interesting customizations.

The hard enclosure for the flybridge is unusual. These boats have soft chines and a shallow keel, so they're prone to rolling. Adding all that weight up high can't help. There are no pictures on deck looking aft. I'm wondering how they incorporated that sloped overhead above the aft berth. The upper electronics were top of the line when bought, but will start showing their age at some point. Can't tell what's at the lower helm, but it looks like a good-sized screen.

The galley and interior finish look nice. I've never seen that vee berth configuration on a Prairie 36 before. I don't thingk I'd like it; not sure what it's really good for, and that dark wood makes it look like a cave.

The first picture is obviously from a while ago. It does look like it had been maintained well, at least until it was hauled and sat out for a while.

Worth a look, but check for stability issues on the sea trial with that enclosure.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 AM   #18

Good �� point but after going and looking at it there are 6-8 Solar panels that he had a Brain Bill auto alarm on piping NOT really feeling that as it takes away from the sun and the LINES of the boat . It's a big project but I'm willing to take it on that would be my second one as my first one was my sailboat
Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
OK, once you get it your job on here is to post pictures and narratives of all of these projects. It would be great to see it come back to life!
THIS! ^^^^^^^

Aquahulic, you beat me to it, as I had been thinking that I need to talk my wife into going up and taking a look at that boat. Best of luck in bringing it back up to shape.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #20

Much thanks, and kinda looking forward to most of the projects and my wife knows what her job is and that is holding the camera �� so I can keep this wonderful Community informed with all the progress ,looking forward to any and all ideas �� and advance