Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51
Frames for screens

We own *a 1980 hull #51 Prairie 29. *We wanted to know if anyone knows who provided the aluminum frames windows of the era? *Our windows are or were bronze color coated alluminum. * Our windows are in great shape except for some fading of the color. *We need the have a new screen made fot the port galley window and "gulp" *I dropped one side of the frame for the Starboard rear screen into the water where our slip is located. *I have tried to locate it but it can get murky though not deep. *So Far no luck. *Does anyone have a clue? *Thanks *Donna Cass on "Stray Cat"
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
RE: Frames for screens

Donna,

Just replaced the windows on our boat. The orginial provider is unknown. In fact probably a couple of different companies made the windows for Prarie. I found several manf by doing a search and asking around. These folks: http://www.wynneinc.com/*were very easy to work with. I was more then pleased with their price and attitude. I am sure they can make screens for you.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks Carl and John. As for the aluminum frame, I really need to find an identical piece to replace the one that I dropped overboard. This is the section that holds the screened frame in place. Screws on to the window frame by a flat flange. If I can find a manufacturer for the section or extrusion that I need, I could fashion it myself. Also want to make one for the Galley window which is just makeshift. If you know of anyone who has replaced the aluminum windows, I would love to see if there is a match to mine. I am scouring the web for something to use.
As for the color, I had planned to respray the exterior frames as soon as we complete the "refit" that we are doing now, exactly as Carl has describes. Thank goodness that the weather is cooler.
I nearly finished with a redo of the swim platform. Replaced the teak supports that attach to the stainless supports on the transom. Have made the transom wider not longer by about six inches and sanded all of the teak so it looks like new. Monday or Tuesday, I will refinish it with a product called Teak fix. I hate grey teak. Hope this product is superior to other products I have used in the past. Thanks again for your assistance. Donna
Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

I have been the "teak" person on any boat we have owned that had teak . Our 42 CC Endeavour had a 6 " wide teak toe rail, swim platform and more then enough below that did not require any upkeep. It was beautiful with wonderful grain on curved surfaces, old forest teak, not like what we find today. At any rate, I have tried many types of teak finish.....some I liked some I didn't. We will see what happens with this finish. It was highly rated by practical sailor and does not need to be sanded between coats.... also requires ? maintenance twice per year. We are in Florida and this product was developed here in Florida for our weather. I'll let you all know just how it turns out! Donna