Hull Number Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeBob

Veteran Member
Because of an electronic device warranty issue I need the hull number of my 1979 prairie 36. It was built before the new HIN standards were implimented in, i think, 1984. In any case, the HIN isn't on the usual place on the upper stbd part of the transom. The plaque in the main saloon says CC/36-015 and there is an 11 alphanumeric number stenciled on the starboard engine support that's all I can find without playing where's Waldo. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Take a look at your documentation and state registration documents. Should be listed on both.

The 11 digit may be the HIN.

November 1, 1972 and newer vessels with improperly formatted HIN....
Ø Under certain circumstances....
Ø Occasionally the USCG has allowed a 12 character HIN with an incorrect format as long as the manufacturer and year of the vessel can be identified.
Ø Many times a HIN is verified as an 11 character or 13 character HIN. The format may be correct with either one digit missing or one extra digit in the production serial number portion of the HIN.

I have the number on the title and I believe it's in the post 1972 format. Thanks Comodave and Tiltrider 1.

Now that you know the number is missing from the hull, have a tag made and attach it just under the rub rail on the starboard transom. This will save you some hassle when you go to sell the boat.

Prism Graphics out of Seattle can make HIN tags.

tiltrider1 is spot on. My 1982 President was missing the embossed HIN on the starboard aft. All of my documented documents and prior state registrations were short one digit in their eyes. I purchase a name tag with the correct numbers, fiber glassed it on in the correct location, took a picture of it and brought it to DMV, they were happy.

Our 1987 President had the HIN on the starboard side of the transom, so they must have gotten their act together between 82 and 87.

Back
Top Bottom