How to make a Prairie go fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471553901.670428.jpg
Fair Current!

Damn! Break out the wake board!

Nice!

We've been riding a few currents this summer in our Prairie 36 - Hell Gate, Hudson River, St. Lawrence River, Bay of Fundy and Lubec Narrows. Had her up to 11+ knots a couple of times.

Then again, I CAN go 13-15 knots without a current. The first owner put in twin 200HP turbo engines for some reason. I typically run 7.5 knots or so, to keep the fuel burn reasonable.

Sniff. Sniff. 12. Sniff sniff. I'm crying a little. Tears of happiness for you. Sadness for me. This is the only regret I have about my trustworthy Trawler. Speed.

But, at the sipping amount of fuel usage..... I'll stay mum

Hope you are enjoying the trip. The Erie Canal was amazing.

Sniff. Sniff. 12. Sniff sniff. I'm crying a little. Tears of happiness for you. Sadness for me. This is the only regret I have about my trustworthy Trawler. Speed.

But, at the sipping amount of fuel usage..... I'll stay mum

Hope you are enjoying the trip. The Erie Canal was amazing.

We gave up a 29-knot boat for this one, so I feel your pain. Except when I go for more than a day without having to fuel up.

Like CaptTom we to have larger motors in our Prairie 36 (240 HP). Tend to run at 8-9 knots to keep fuel burn down, but @ 11-13, the Prairie feels like a freight train! No rolling, it just blasts through the waves with nary a bump

Rick

Are you guys with your high horsepower Prairie 36s on a plan at those speeds? :eek:
If 400 or 480 horsepower doesn't get you up on a plan, what amount of horsepower do you think is required to get you there?
I've read that the Prairie 29 and Prairie 36 are semi displacement hulls. Does that mean they are, by default, also semi planning hulls?

Not planning at 11 knots. Have to get up to about 14-15 for that to happen. For whatever reason it doesn't really track well at that speed, not to mention the fuel burn.

BTW, all that speed (relatively speaking) came in handy today beating the thunderstorm back to port. Photographic evidence below ??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471731116.233975.jpg

The tracking issue may be related to a condition called keel walking. This can occur when the bottom of the keel is wide enough to be a planning surface. This is why fast lobster hulls have narrow keel bottoms.

I've had my Clipper's GPS SOG reading 11.3 kn. on one occasion, literally surfing ahead of a rather large following sea. I was amazed how well she steered. I think courtesy of nearly all the tankage now well aft.

The tracking issue may be related to a condition called keel walking. This can occur when the bottom of the keel is wide enough to be a planning surface. This is why fast lobster hulls have narrow keel bottoms.

I would guess the width at the bottom of my Prairie 36 keel is about 6 to 8 inches. Is that enough to cause the keel walking condition?

I've attached some pics of the keel from the haul out and survey earlier this year for reference.

Attachments

• Prairie 36 Survey.jpg
    Prairie 36 Survey.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 303
Can't resist :D

Attachments

• PrairieRocket1.jpg
    PrairieRocket1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 116
My initial thought to the OP's subject line was to put it on a trailer!!

Yesterday I surfed home through Carquinez Strait in my 7.5 kt boat and clocked 11.2 at one point, but the majority was 9.8-10.2 on the ebb. Then I immediately hung a right and entered Mare Island Causeway which was already flooding and got an additional 0.8 kt push on my home stretch. The short transition between the two was full of some very confused water!

Love it when going west on the ebb tide in Carquinez Strait, and then getting the flood going north up Mare Island Strait for home berth (currents typically maximizing at 2.5 knots). Great timing!

Tides are great when they are headed in your direction, but a rocket mounted to the trunk cabin is much more consistent. :D

Ahoy Cappy208 Slip Away!
Sonic Sea Dog here. We shared cocktails with you at Cutty last Summer.
Hoping we meet up again!!
Atlantic Rich aka Capt. Rich

With this setup a Ranger tug can exceed 50 knots, your Prairie results may differ.

nordictug1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom