finding water leak in rear corner of salon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddalme

Vessel Name
Relenti
Vessel Make
Atlantic 30, 1983
Just removed the carpet and found rotted flooring in the rear corners of the salon. About 6" square. R & R the flooring and found a gap in the rear sliding glass door frame at the bottom corner of port side but nothing on starboard side. Resealed the sliding glass door frame all around, but I'm thinking that this will not solve the leaking problem. Question! How is the flybridge sole and porch overhang attached to the rear of the salon wall. I have a water mark about half way up the port side of the rear glass frame about 1" out from the metal frame. Before I remove the paneling of the ceiling and rear wall would like to know if a leak could be coming from the corners under the roof. There is scuppers for the fly bridge is almost over this area. The boat is a 1983 Atlantic 30, sister ship of the Prairie 29.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. dd. I am unfamiliar with your vessel or ones similar but I am familiar with leaks. As a general comment, leaks can initiate some distance from where they manifest so consider ALL areas of the FB to be a potential source. Yes, the source might be directly above from the scuppers BUT...

RTF
I think I'll hose the boat off and see if I get a damp floor. Could be water coming from side glass as there is tale tale signs of water leak under rear side windows. Although these windows where recaulked by PO. Everything is dry at the moment. Haven't had rain for a week or so.

You have the full width slider correct? I would suspect the bottom outside corners of the aluminum track / vertical jambs are not sealed well. Any rain blowing on the window has to go DOWN the either out or in.

I didn't look that well at how Atlantic assembled the FB. Have you thoroughly cleaned out the drain passages on the flybridge? On the Prairie The screw holes are all 'up' on raised ridges. The only way it could leak from up there is if the water built up above the height of the ridges. And from what I have seen they put SO much 5200 on them I really doubt they are leaking!

I would look at recaulking the aluminum slider frame. Doing it properly would mean removing it completely, cleaning all surfaces and reinstalling. How is the glass? Maybe time for a new one??

By any chance has your flybridge been removed in the past??? If so then it may be a leak issue if not put back on well. Look inside the flybridge cavity on the sides. You should see other bedding adhesive marks (and pry marks) if it's been removed before.

Doesn't look like the FB has ever been moved-ran for 30 miles in the rain this past weekend and no sign of water. I think the corners where getting wet from the leak in the salon windows. Anyway all is good so for. Took a 4 day trip this past week and didn't have to open a hatch to ck or fix something.:):)Must be making progress.

When we bought our prairie we had the same problem nothing about 20 tubes of ge silicone couldn't fix we resealed and pumped all the screwholes full to the point that it ran out and we haven't had a leak since.

Over the last 20 years has chased several leaks. The Eagle front deck and salon roof are slopped so leaks travel to the lowest point. So what I have done is tarp the entires area and pull back the tarp until it leaks. Then you know the general area. Also have changed the tirm of the boat side to side to see if that changes the leak.

I use epoxy rather than calking as calking tends to fail especially in areas that water runs to and or pools. I would first look at those arras.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom