Atlantic 44 by Prairie boat works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulelover

Hi everyone,newbie here, first post. Have owned a Prairie 36 for two years. I keep hearing about a larger boat built at the same time called an Atlantic 44. Can anyone tell me about it? Designer,specs,pics, any for sale,pros and cons, etc. Thanks

Welcome aboard. You might look at Powerboat Guide for the specs.

Welcome!

If you're interested, I've been trying to maintain a Prairie/Atlantic Owners List. The idea is that anyone who wants to be on it gets a copy. Just fill in the fields you're comfortable sharing with other owners, and PM to me. I'll add you to the list and send you a copy. The list is only shared with other owners, never published anywhere.

Here are all the fields available:
Boat Name:
Owner(s) Name(s):
Owner e-Mail:
Owner Phone(s):
Home Port:
Trawler Forum ID:
AGLCA ID:
Cruising Plans:
Vessel Year:
Vessel Model:
Vessel Hull #:
Engine(s):
Generator:
Vessel MMSI:

Hi Mulelover,
I owned a 1981 44' Atlantic from 2001 to 2007. Hargrave design and essentially the same as the 43Hatteras double cabin. Great sea boat and cruiser. Ours had 120hp Perkins 6.354's which were very economical. Many came with 3208 Cats and could get up and plane. Tons of room in salon and aft cabin. Galley down configuration. I reworked the forward sleeping acomodations into a queen size berth.

Ours had 2 wing tanks of 150 gals each and a central bilge tank of 300 gals. Check all for leaks if older boat, especially the wing tanks. Engine room very spacious and room although tight to get all around engines. Kneeling headroom in engine compartment.

If equipped with a hardtop with radar arch check for soft spots. We had no issues with decks or hull in that regard. Portlights may need rebeding as ours leaked.

They usually came with Onan MDJE generators which were noisy and ours threw the oil pump gear and destroyed itself. I replaced with and 8kw Kohler at the time.

Hello mulelover,
In 1976, I began working for a new startup company in St. Augustine, Florida. "Atlantic Boat Builders, inc." It was created by a man from Germany, Oscar Trost, to build a 44' trawler based off the hull design of Prairie. The day I started, a team had just finished the wooden plugs for the hull and the deck. Months and months of fiberglassing, sanding, repeat... The plant was located in an old aircraft hangar in the St. Augustine Airport. Other than a handful of trawlers that were delivered over the road, the majority of the boats were launched via the seaplane ramp. Anyway, a total of 23 trawlers were built in that plant over the two years to follow. The business folded under financial blunders created by the general manager and plant managers. The remaining plant assets were bought by a boat builder in Palatka, Florida, where the production continued including longer trawlers.

Atlantic 44 hull #1 on launch day.

Hello CaptTom.
I do not own an Atlantic Trawler, but I am interested in any list of Atlantic 44 trawlers, as I worked in the original plant of Atlantic Boat Builders from 1976 to 1978. I see a few of tge originals out there from time to time. But a list? Wow.

I just tried to attach a picture of hull #1 at the St. Augustine City Marina on the launch day.
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• 20190927_123818.jpg
    20190927_123818.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 63
Greetings,

Recently purchased an Atlantic 47 and would like to be included on the Prairie/Atlantic Owners List.

All our vessel information was forwarded to you via a pm.

Thanks for keeping an owners list!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,

Recently purchased an Atlantic 47 and would like to be included on the Prairie/Atlantic Owners List.

All our vessel information was forwarded to you via a pm.

Thanks for keeping an owners list!

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom