Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
Pacific Trawler rudder seal

Does anyone recognize this rudder shaft seal? It is on a 2002 Pacific Trawler 40 and it is leaking. The rudder shaft turns inside the ring with the ring stationary relative to the hull.

Who is the manufacturer?
Where is the seal?
How is it serviced?
Can it be serviced with the boat in the water?
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder seal.jpg  
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi Paul,

Your Pacific Trawler is equipped with a Tides Marine lip seal on your rudder shaft. All pertinent repair and replacement information is contained in their web site, as well as by phone to the company. They are very accommodating and knowledgeable about their product, and can talk you through your repairs.

https://www.tidesmarine.com/footer/tides_marine.php

I own a 2000-vintage Pacific Trawler with the same setup, and had my seal replaced while hauled. I doubt the seal can be replaced in the water, as the rudder shaft had to be removed to service mine, and the top of the seal is very close to, if not below, the static waterline. The shaft is in two pieces, joined with a welded flange below the hull, just above the rudder, which must be unbolted to remove the rudder.

With both pieces removed and re-assembled outside the boat, I found my rudder shaft was 0.030" out of straight, so I had mine straightened while out. As the shaft is two pieces, getting the shaft perfectly straight is difficult, but the less runout, the longer the seal will last.

In my opinion, Pacific Trawler did a poor job of designing the rudder installation, and chose the incorrect parts to do so. Rather than the three-bearing installation as we have (one at the heel, one above the fiberglass "volcano" where it's leaking, and the third on top of the shelf), the rudder tube should have been extended above the rudder shelf, with only a single bearing and seal at the top. This would have made it MUCH easier to align the rudder shaft (two bearings vs three), and moved the seal above the static waterline, to allow service while afloat without having to remove the rudder to do so. And plenty strong enough to boot.

Oh well, mine lasted 20 years or so, as it appears yours has also. Nothing's forever!

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
Pete,
Thank you very much. I will check their website. I am about due for a haul out anyway so that is not a major issue.

Paul
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Mine is just starting to leak. So the boat must be on the hard to replace the seal/packing? It can not be done in the water?

Oh, I have a 2001 Pacific Trawler 40.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #5
RWJ

City: Port Orchard
I have a 2002 PT also. My rudder shaft was leaking too. You have to haul out to get it fixed, but it was only a two hour job if you have the parts and a little help.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote