Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
RE: Pacific Trawler Owners Information

Quote:
Hi Colin,

I understand that the 225 John Deere is a very good engine, although it is very hard to beat the Lehman, especially if you just need to rebuild it.* 10-12,000 hours prior to rebuild is not uncommon.* Parts are still obtainable, according to other cruisers I know with Lehmans.

The 210 Cummins in WESTERLY was installed by the previous owner to replace a 150HP Bedford, so I don't have direct experience with the repowering.

However, I know that the*engine and gear exchange was made through the pilot house top, a fiberglass patch*is completely hidden under non-skid deck coating.

The same 1-3/4" shaft was used, but the engine was located further forward so a small jack shaft was installed, but I ended up removing it when replacing the shaft a few years ago.

I'm sure that there was not any gain in speed, as the sweet spot for this hull is very close to 7.4 knots.* I run at 1750 rpm to make that speed with a 2.66:1 reduction and*24 x 23 4-blade prop.* The engine consumes around 2.5gph which means an engine output of around 45HP.* Max cruise speed is 9.5kts.

For some of the newer Pacific Trawlers installed with 330+HP and fixed trim tabs at the stern, planing*is possible*at around 12 knots with a fuel burn of around 15 gph.

How fast do you want to go?* Or do you just want to have a more modern engine producing the horsepower to go 7.4 kts?

According to my FloScan meter and speed log:* 1600 7.0 kts 2.0 ghp, 1700 7.3 kts 2.3 gph, 1800 rpm 7.5 kts, 2.7 gph, 2000 rpm*7.8 kts, 4.0gph, 2200 rpm 8.4 kts 6gph and 2600 rpm 9.4 kts 10gph.

This*is a good size engine for this boat, as*it*is not overloaded for its service level.

Good luck.****Jay N***

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #22

We, Curt and Susie Schofield, are seriously looking at a Pacific Trawler on the East Coast.She's a 2000 40' open transom model. *We cross the Gulf Stream visiting the Bahamas and I wonder if the rear bulkhead doors will handle serious water over the swim step? *I was told of rumors that the 40 does not track well. *Can any owners give me feed back on these two concerns?

We currently live on Inamorata, a 1985 35' PT Overseas. *As I understand it was manufactured by Cheerman Bros in Taiwan. *She's a raised stern deck, galley down with two Lehmans.

Thanking you in advance for any information.
Curt
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Snead Island, Fla.

What is the name of the PT 40 that you are interested in? Have you looked at her yet?
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Guru

Hi Curt and Susie,

According to a couple of owners in my area with the open transom model, they report that they do not experience loading up of waves on the stern deck.* But it's important to note that they essentially cruise in protected waters, with only occassional ocean crossing exposure.* What water does collect on the stern deck tends to unload quickly.

The models here have fairly rugged Diamond SeaGlaze aft cabin doors that can be dogged, and I would think that they would be up to the task under most conditions.

Like almost all semi-displacement boats with hard chines aft and square sterns, the boat has*unstable steering.* Meaning that they do not track unattended.* If you trim the boat more by the stern, tracking improves, but then it costs you more to move it through the water.* A good autopilot is a great improvement for all of these boats, and it makes tracking a non-issue except for extreme conditions.

And like any square stern boat (which are typically not designed for regular ocean transits), a large following wave can be the most challenging for control.* Good weather selection is important*for consistent safe transits.

Maybe one of the open transom owners will respond with more information.

Good Luck and Best Regards,* Jay
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Jay,

Is your transom open or full?

Sharkey
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #26

Janice C in Carolina Beach, NC.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #27

Thank you Jay N. *You're right "Good weather selection is important" but sometimes stuff happens. *Thanks again for the reply.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

There is another PT 40 just*listed in NY. I have looked at Janice C, very nice*

Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
Curt wrote:

We currently live on Inamorata, a 1985 35' PT Overseas. *As I understand it was manufactured by Cheerman Bros in Taiwan. *She's a raised stern deck, galley down with two Lehmans.

Curt I have a 1984 Overseas PT 35.* Ours was supposedly made by Overseas Yachts in Tawaiin.* We looked at*a Pacific Trawler 37 (one of the older / original*ones) before we bought the PT 35.* I'd love to see photos of Inamorata. * Good Luck on your search!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Sharkey wrote:"Is your transom open or full?"

Hi Sharkey,* WESTERLY is*hull #3 of the original 20*fiberglass Pacific Trawler 37's built in California from 1973-1976.** All of these were closed*transom.

You have to get into*1999 around*hull #30 or so before you start to see the open transom option.* Maybe 7-8 hulls with this option, although I don't track it.

Best Regards,* Jay
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

One day I may have one. I really like the boat and think it would make a great Looper boat... Right now*I captain a 65 Fleming. Not my boat.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #32

Hi Jennifer on Pineapple Girl II, our PT Overseas was *built by Cheer Men Marine/ Taiwan Overseas Industries, Taiwan ROC. *We've been on her 4 years and loving every minute of it. *
Attached Thumbnails
inamorata.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #33

Pacific Trawler Owners Information

Hi all,
I am new to the site.
We got Good Tidings (PT 40-54) last winter/spring, and are really enjoying her. I am happy to find a spot where other PT owners chat. We are in New York on the lower Hudson River. Last season we visited Lake Champlain, Long Island Sound, and spent 6 weeks on the Chesapeake. Please feel free to list us as owners.
Jeff and Keira Burtch
Good Tidings PT 40-54
Stony Point, NY

Jan. 20, 2011

-- Edited by Keira B on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:13:35 PM
Keira B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #34

Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a Pacific Trawler 40 and I am interested in system information. Except for the John Deere and the Norther Lights genset this boat (formally JANICE C our of Wilmington NC) is short on information about how the boat was put together and it's systems.

We have renamed her MAITRI.

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa
sjkrattli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
sjkrattli wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a Pacific Trawler 40 and I am interested in system information. Except for the John Deere and the Norther Lights genset this boat (formally JANICE C our of Wilmington NC) is short on information about how the boat was put together and it's systems.

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa
*Hi Gene and Kathy,

Congratulations!* MAITRI should be a great boat.* Did you/Are you bringing her to Friday Harbor?

Other than her hull number, year of construction and ME, I don't know anything about the boat.* As you probably know,*your boat was constructed in Bellingham, WA. and is considered a custom/production boat.* Hopefully, your surveyor(s) have given you some good information about*how she is equipped and*the level of care that previous owners provided.*

I'm interested in talking with you about your boat, but am out-of-town until April 4 or so.

Please send me your email address at cjnmaritime@gmail.com and I'll forward*a copy of the owners list.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Jay N wrote:sjkrattli wrote:
Hello,

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa
*Hi Gene and Kathy,

Congratulations!* MAITRI should be a great boat.* Did you/Are you bringing her to Friday Harbor?

Other than her hull number, year of construction and ME, I don't know anything about the boat.* As you probably know,*your boat was constructed in Bellingham, WA. and is considered a custom/production boat.* Hopefully, your surveyor(s) have given you some good information about*how she is equipped and*the level of care that previous owners provided.*

I'm interested in talking with you about your boat, but am out-of-town until April 4 or so.

Please send me your email address at cjnmaritime@gmail.com and I'll forward*a copy of the owners list.

edwardsna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Was trying to buy a 46PT but it feel thru--found a 52PT 1988----really love the boat needs a lot of work---any views as to sea capability--we cruise a lot of offshore---Galveston to Corpus Chrsit then down to Mexico---the 53 has brand new 3208TA's---any thoughts?

DT
dirtytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #38
Guru

Hi Tom,

Rumor has it that there were a couple of 46' Pacific Trawler/Blain Seeley designed boats, made of wood in the late 1960's.* Otherwise, I'm not familiar with this boat.* It was certainly not a production boat since 1970.

Sea Horse has been making a 52' Blain Seeley design for several years, these are Asian built boats as opposed to the US built Pacific Trawler 37's and 40's.* Seeley also designed an Asian built "Meridian" about the same length a number of years ago.* None of these boats are referred to as Pacific Trawlers, however

Sometimes there is some confusion about PT, which has also stood for Puget Trawler and probably other names.

As with any older boat, get a good survey as reliability will depend on equipment and level of care.* If you currently cruise offshore, you probably know what design qualities are important, and there may be some information available in the archives of this and other forums.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #39

City: Marysville
New Member to Pacific Trawler site

Hi - been a while since I talked to other PT people but look forward to it. Owned Hull # 47 from 11/2001 to 4/2006, spent 12 months cruising the Great Loop, chartered my boat (Wand'rin Star) in LaConner, WA. and really enjoyed it here in Pacific Northwest.

Now for next phase of our boat ownership, I'm interested in buying a used Pacific Trawler 37 or 40 this next fall/winter (2013/2014). Looking at $200,000. range if anyone is thinking of selling one next year.

Thanks
gerrytravers@gmail.com
Captain T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37

New member to the forum and to trawlers.

Recently purchased the 1999 PT37 named Carolina based out of Elizabeth City, NC (originally Blue Goose). We brought her up from Chesapeake, VA last week to the Annapolis area. As transitioning sailors, I must say we really enjoyed the projection offered by the pilot house.

Also wanted to express my appreciation to the Trawler Forum. I spent many hours researching this site for help in getting up to "speed" on motor vessels. Look forward to participating.

Best Regards,
Mike
DinghyDog is offline   Reply With Quote