Mast and boom capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjsilhan

Vessel Make
pacific trawler
I have a 2000 PT 40 and will be buying a new tender this Spring. I will be replacing a 180lb Livingston and OB. What weight tender are you able to comfortably handle with the stock PT mast and boom?

Hi Mike,

Just caught your post, and hope that newer PT37/40 owners will respond.

The older PT37's have a different boat deck construction and underneath area to span, so there isn't any meaningful comparison with tender weight on your boat. In addition, some boats did not come with factory mast/boom configurations, hoist systems may have been added later. I don't recall how your boat was configured when new.

Having said that, WESTERLY has a tender that weighs in at around 600 lbs, with a similarly rated low profile davit. It is a good system, but I wouldn't want to see any more weight on the boat deck. I don't see any of the newer PT37/40's with this kind of weight, max is probably around 3-400 lbs.

Of course, the main question you need to answer is how much bigger a tender will fit your needs?

For us, a 4.0 meter RIB with a 30HP outboard satisfies our needs to explore and fish. But maybe you only need something to take the dog ashore on occasion.

There are obviously a lot of choices, but try to pin down the desired type and size, then refit your hoist system, if needed.

Last edited:
Nothing official but we have tried to limit the weight on the boom of our 1999 PT37 to 300 lbs.

John J

mast and boom capacity

Hi John
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a specific reason for limiting the mast usage to 300lb or does it just feel like that is the maximum weight that you feel comfortable with?
I have looked at all of the fittings on our boat’s mast and boom and the one with the smallest working weight is 1800lbs. Having said that I would not feel comfortable with more that 400lbs. When I get back home in April I am going to do some test lifts from the dock to see how 300 and 400lbs feel.

Thanks
Mike

Mike says: "John, do you have a specific reason for limiting the mast usage to 300lb or does it just feel like that is the maximum weight that you feel comfortable with?
I have looked at all of the fittings on our boat’s mast and boom and the one with the smallest working weight is 1800lbs. Having said that I would not feel comfortable with more that 400lbs. When I get back home in April I am going to do some test lifts from the dock to see how 300 and 400lbs feel."

John, thanks for you relaying your tender weight.

Mike, does your mast have power on the boom? I ask because, even if all of the gear is sized appropriately (even for dynamic loads), it can take quite a bit of effort to pull the boat over to it's cradle. A winch on the boom would help transfer weight prior to swinging it aboard. It would also help to control run out to the side when launching.

On WESTERLY, the davit is located on the starboard side, and when the 600 lbs is swung out, the boat takes several degrees of list temporarily. The key to a proper davit install is to make sure the davit standpipe is angled inboard so one person can maneuver the tender on and off when it is hanging on the hook. (Wish I had a few pics).

When I installed a newer davit, the standpipe hole was moved 4-1/2" inboard from the old hole at the boat deck level. Previously, it took two people to launch/retrieve with the old setup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom