Zinc Stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datenight

Guru
Vessel Name
Datenight
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45
Every year I have a hard time removing the old zincs from my Side Power thrusters. A little difficult to see in the photos but there is a lot of "white powder" on the inside of the zinc where it fits over the nut that holds the props on. It takes quite a bit of tapping and wiggling with Vice Grips to get them off.

Is there a grease that won't interfere with the conductivity between the zinc and nut? Can I use some type of Anti-Sieze? If so, what formula?

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
On all my pencil anodes I use blue Locktight between the zinc and plug and never seize between the plug and housing. There is still plenty of metal to metal contact which you can confirm with ohm meter.

There's all kinds of stuff like that in McMasterCarr. Search "conductive grease."

Every year I have a hard time removing the old zincs from my Side Power thrusters. A little difficult to see in the photos but there is a lot of "white powder" on the inside of the zinc where it fits over the nut that holds the props on. It takes quite a bit of tapping and wiggling with Vice Grips to get them off.

Is there a grease that won't interfere with the conductivity between the zinc and nut? Can I use some type of Anti-Sieze? If so, what formula?

Thanks,

Rob
Yes, Kopr-Kote by Jetlube. It is a conductive anti-seize compound. I use it on engine anodes to prevent them from breaking off when trying to unscrew them from the brass fitting. I use it on all battery and cable conections - prevents corrosion. It is a little-known product. Easily obtained on Amazon.

Have had the same issue.
Conductive grease stains terribly so be careful.
I’ve put a burr on the end of a variable speed electric drill and carefully ground out the center hole of the zinc to allow a minute degree of play. Coat that hole and shaft with conductive grease. Use a drop of blue loctite on the nuts but not elsewhere. Don’t get it on the washers.
Know this works as zincs show use. Makes them easy to remove when time comes. If not short hauling harder to do in the water. Obviously can grind center hole but the rest is half assed and messy. Still works though. Think through it’s action zinc sticks to the shaft. Had one occasion needed a cold chisel to split it to get it off.

Thanks everyone. I used a copper based anti seize from Loctite.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom