Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #81

HiDHo,

Looks like Derale is the way to go. Griffen's is my local supplier, and they have been very helpful in the past. I got my last oil filter from them at 1/2 the cost, so they should be able to fit the nipple and seal ring.

Thanks again for bringing this back to my attention as it had slipped down the list recently.
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #82
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I can clear almost any visible clog in a Vacuflush in seconds. Must have done this a dozen times. Shut the water, step on the pedal, hold it down and poke the clog a couple of times with a broomstick. Fast, flawless, and no mess. Then swirl the end of the broom stick over the side and put it in the lazarette for next time. There's always a next time. Took me longer to write this than to clear a clog. Howard
Do exactly the same thing with 1/4"x12" plastic rod. The clog is always in the restriction under the ball valve.........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #83
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Print West Marine on the side of the plastic rod and you can sell it for at least $12.99 as a Vacuflush Clog Clearing Tool.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #84
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Print West Marine on the side of the plastic rod and you can sell it for at least $12.99 as a Vacuflush Clog Clearing Tool.
Not up here in Canada, they are closing their stores as the leases expire this coming year........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #85
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Not up here in Canada, they are closing their stores as the leases expire this coming year........
What goes around, comes around.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #86
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Speaking of WM...I bought some heavy duty heat shrink tubing, the kind you use on large battery cables (about 1" or so ID) and put them on the ends of my storm lines. Sort of a quick and dirty poor man's whipping. Just in case the melted ends ever let go, it's a back up.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Lots of great ideas here.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:35 AM   #88

City: Hervey Bay
A tape measure makes a great tank dip. We have the appropriate measurements relating fuel depth to contents written in the log.
On our steel boat, five minute Araldite makes a quick cover for chipped paint pending recoating.
D.Duck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #89
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Duck44 View Post
A tape measure makes a great tank dip. We have the appropriate measurements relating fuel depth to contents written in the log.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-9m-STICK-...72.m2749.l2649 Just bought these to stick on my tanks by the sight gages. Have not done it yet but think it will work well

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #90
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
While we're talking about sticking tanks, mine have at least two bends between the fill and the tank, so a straight stick is out of the question. PO used a length of 12-2 electrical Romex cable, which worked but was a bit of a challenge. I ended up using an electrican's steel fish tape, which I filed marks on ever 1".

I just noticed when I went to look for the picture is that it's advertised as a "Depthfinder fish tape." It does have markings every 1'. Too bad they didn't go every inch.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #91
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

Boat polisher Rupes bigfoot 21 mark2 machine It is definitely easiest to do a flawless surface to poilsh the boat.!

https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-bigfo...21-markii.html

+

Flexipads short cuting woll pads

+

+One step compouds

+ Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax "syntetic seelant" best "wax"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171016_185618.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	72805
= 6 months go and only washing, my NT surface polishes like miror.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #92

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think the best I've come up with is to use a piston ring compressor to squish large impellers and make it easy to install them. ................
I use a nylon wire tie.

My "hint" is something I had to do this week: You will eventually find yourself trying to start nuts (machine nuts) in places that are very difficult to reach. Some times you can wrap masking tape with the sticky side out around a stick and hold them in place while you turn the bolt. If you can't even see where they go, you might have to put the tape on your finger and start the nut that way.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #93
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I use a nylon wire tie.

My "hint" is something I had to do this week: You will eventually find yourself trying to start nuts (machine nuts) in places that are very difficult to reach. Some times you can wrap masking tape with the sticky side out around a stick and hold them in place while you turn the bolt. If you can't even see where they go, you might have to put the tape on your finger and start the nut that way.
I came across these at my local big box store sometime ago. Bought like 10 of them. Very useful.

Finger Wrench - Lee Valley Tools
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #94

City: Washington
I think I remember seeing something like that sometime in the past. That might have been a bit easier for me the other day. These nuts were so well hidden I had to use a mirror to get a wrench on them after I got them started with my fingers.

The worst part is, I was installing an AIS antenna and I could have picked a better place (or at least an easier place).
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #95
Veteran Member

City: Ft.Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: 1976 Marine Trader D/C
Spill proof method to change lube oil in Lehman injector pump by attaching to suction side of an oil change system to injector pump drain port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001410.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	72811
Attached Thumbnails
IM001407.jpg  
Trawler Sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #96
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Bus bars! Every time i wire in something new, bus bars. Eliminates those "previous owner" wire octopuses and makes it much easier for trouble-shooting. Always buy a bigger one than you think you'll need (more terminals) as other wires mysteriously migrate there too. You actually save money on crimps and crap that you will cut out again cause you got it wrong, plus you can trash that roll of electrical tape.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #97
Guru

City: gulf coast
Those allthread long connector nuts work well to remove stuck zincs
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #98
Guru

Calibrate your fuel gauges as you fill the tanks. Then you will know how much fuel you use and can calculate your actual use at various speeds.
My gauges are 1/4 tank level increments. With a little practice I can eyeball 1/16th increments.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #99
Guru

easy way to clean AC water lines is to put a garden hose up against the outlet and back flush the lines. leave the pump on then you can quickly see if it worked.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #100
Guru

Small pool or toilet chlorine tablets, occasionally, in the raw water strainer will help keep the AC lines flowing.