Yacht maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I am really "yachting" today. Paying someone to work on my boat, that is. It's strange, but I don't feel like a "fat cat". hmmm, maybe yachting is not all that it's cracked up to be.:confused:

Just trying to get caught up on everything.

I am really "yachting" today. Paying someone to work on my boat, that is. It's strange, but I don't feel like a "fat cat". hmmm, maybe yachting is not all that it's cracked up to be.:confused:
Just trying to get caught up on everything.

Me too! And you're correct! Yachting is not all it's cracked up to be.

There's yachting and there's boating - depends on how many boat bucks you've got.

Yachting is when your accounting people see the statement a month after your yacht manager paid the bill for work that you didn't know the boat needed was completed. You most likely don't even know any of that happened but your boat was ready when you showed up to use it.

Or eating baking powder Biscuits and poor mans gravy.

Or what to do with bacon grease.

After you fry the bacon add 3 tablespoons flour and let brown a little. Then pour in 1/2 cup milk and the rest of water until not too thick and not too thin, just right. Salt and pepper to taste. Delicious.

Sd

Last edited:
I wonder what the poor people are doing today?

At the rates charged today, poor people are not working on boats. These guys are doing pretty well as they should. Good work deserves good pay.

At the rates charged today, poor people are not working on boats. These guys are doing pretty well as they should. Good work deserves good pay.

Average billing rate around here is $100-$110 an hour. So, I suspect the typical worker gets something like a $35 an hour wage.

Just had work done at $88ph, by qualified shipwrights. Definitely on the low side of usual rates. Unfortunately there were a lot of hours.
Unless you are fortunate to be highly skilled,some jobs just have to be left to the professionals. And I turned up every day to check work, and progress.
Skipperdude, your gravy sounds delicious but I suspect any medico TFers are shaking their heads. But bacon and eggs for breakfast on board, just magic.

There's yachting and there's boating - depends on how many boat bucks you've got.

when i was 17 my 13 foot Rockholt was a magnificent yatch. I've come to the conclusion that yatching referrs to sitting in the yatch club with a tail disscusing yatch stuff and boating is when you are in a vessel travling from point a to a nice secluded getaway or on a gunkholeing voyage. Pretty obvious when you think about it. Look around you at all them big fancy boats and then look out to sea and see how many are out there:) What you see is the old gb or willie maybe a defever or two and mixed with a spattering of bayliners and tolly's all out boating

Today I am yachting! Both the diesel mechanic and the bright work guru are on the boat and I don't like it one bit. But the alternative is me trying to do it myself and failing badly....if history is our guide....and then paying them more to fix my mistakes and fix the initial issue.....so I'm yachting today.

In a rare instance, I got my sister to help on the brightwork:

img_125333_0_430876282d899d3820076a5bc336cccc.jpg

But mostly rely on professionals to do most technical stuff like upgrading the chain locker (new tray to raise locker drain).

img_125333_1_0650d88acf461666dcb9bda312909ca0.jpg

Hiring out work is a win win. You get to help someone and the economy. At least that is what I tell my wife. Besides, if I had to do the washing, waxing and brightwork myself, I don't think I would want to own a boat. The mechanical and electrical work, I do not mind too much.

.......... Pretty obvious when you think about it. Look around you at all them big fancy boats and then look out to sea and see how many are out there:) What you see is the old gb or willie maybe a defever or two and mixed with a spattering of bayliners and tolly's all out boating

Not my experience at all. I see lots of "them big fancy boats" on the AICW.

Bfloyd, The reason why a lot of fancy yachts are not used as much as less expensive boats is because yachting is just one of the many past times that those owners enjoy. Unlike most of us budget boaters where boating might be the top hobby or possibly the only hobby.

Bfloyd, The reason why a lot of fancy yachts are not used as much as less expensive boats is because yachting is just one of the many past times that those owners enjoy. Unlike most of us budget boaters where boating might be the top hobby or possibly the only hobby.

think so? Well maybe its because them big yatchs have swimming pools, servants, and so many fun things aboard that they don't need to leave the dock to have an enjoyable day. Besides, look at all the money they save on fuel.........hummmm......if i owned one i would get to hire me own crew.....te he...and design uniforms for them......yep, dock time will work for me.
Later guys, gotta go buy a lottery ticket

Question, what would you require the uniform consist of?....oh, and do you think they would really need to have any nautical training?:):)

Question, what would you require the uniform consist of?....oh, and do you think they would really need to have any nautical training?:):)

I'd imagine one would require a towel attendant stationed pool side in some appropriately eye candyish attire. :)

Eric b, the mechanic finally showed up!!! Yea!! :flowers:

I'd imagine one would require a towel attendant stationed pool side in some appropriately eye candyish attire. :)

so you suggest they be attired in a towel or just be properly trained in the use of a towel?

Mechanic! Great, now some real wurk can be done.

Average billing rate around here is $100-$110 an hour. So, I suspect the typical worker gets something like a $35 an hour wage.

Come to Trinidad. I have an experienced bright work/painter that I pay $50TT/hour and a semi-skilled, needs a little direction type, for $30TT/hour. (6.44TT to 1 USD) It's not always for the faint of heart though. We sometimes feel like a den mother in the tropics herding cats. The results can be good if you (they) ignore the schedule.

Attachments

• 006 (8).jpg
    006 (8).jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 75
In a rare instance, I got my sister to help on the brightwork:

img_125498_0_430876282d899d3820076a5bc336cccc.jpg

But mostly rely on professionals to do most technical stuff like upgrading the chain locker (new tray to raise locker drain).

img_125498_1_0650d88acf461666dcb9bda312909ca0.jpg
That's a fairly large loo you've got there Mark...don't fall down it....

I paid someone to compound and wax my boat once. It was a lot of money so I decided to do it myself the next time. I've bought the tools and supplies but never been able to finish the entire job at once.

I pay people to botom paint. Some jobs aren't worth doing yourself.

Really depends...up in Jersey...every small marine business guy I know in the boating business went out of business or had to consolidate with another more profitable one.

The techs and mechs make less than many counterparts farther inshore and many get laid off for a month or two in the winter.

I make way less than my son who doesn't have a college degree who works for an asphalt company.

Some in the marine construction business...especially after Sandy are doing OK but it's long hours and away from home. After oil spills...a lot of people in the marine industry squeeze that fat cat too but they don't happen every year.

Where I come from the yard may be charging $120/hr...but the tech is only making $15-$25 living in a high cost area unless they want a long commute in the Summer and their benefits might be good but not in many places.

All in all...they are doing WAY better than a cave dweller in Afghanistan...but few if any will ever own boats like many here unless they come into good side money or get it some where's else.

As anyone who owns a Cummins B or C series engine knows changing the raw water pump is a PIA requiring the engine mount bracket to be removed and the engine supported by a jack. I do most of my own maintenance by necessity but not this job. The bill - $1700 and is why I do most of my maintenance.

If I didn't do all my own work, I couldn't afford to own a boat. Besides, I can't afford any one as good as me.

Each year I been having more and more done by others. Year 2012 had the oil/filter charged to messy, and had the six 8-D batteries replaced as my wife can not carry her sides anymore. :DYear 2013, I may have to change the sanitation hose which is just TOO, and bow thruster hydraulic hose which are heavy and requires several people. In the year 2014 I plan on having the boat gone thru and hoses/belts replaced, which I am budgeting others do the majority of it. Doing the maintenance is not near the enjoyment it used to be.:ermm:

When we retire we plan on spending 9 month of the year in warmer climates, we will have some one care/maintain the boat, so when we come back for 3 months the boat is ready to go. I find the best time to have work on the boat is between October thru March as they have time and their rates are more reasonable. However, when others work on the boat, I am usually there and/or check on the work as I am willing to lend a hand, be a gofer, and to learn. :thumb:

Doing the maintenance is not near the enjoyment it used to be.:ermm:
However, when others work on the boat, I am usually there and/or check on the work as I am willing to lend a hand, be a gofer, and to learn. :thumb:

I adopted that procedure about 5 years ago and have experienced substantial savings on the mechanic's hourly rate by doing exactly what Phil Fill has stated. Yes, by being the Gofer, one can really cut down on the time the mechs are running to their trucks, looking for a themarisis that I happen to have or running across town to pick up a part. (No mark up on the part since I bought it!) I also stop at the bank before they arrive so I can pay them in cash. (It always results in them lowering the bill. :confused:) This procedure (cash) has also resulted in them getting to me immediately when I call. :thumb:
It's not cheap, but I get the satisfaction of getting the work done right & learning a lot more about my boat. (Not to mention the savings!)

Mechanic showed up but for a broken exhaust pipe. Still working through my smoking issue. AND....would not want either the mechanic nor the bright work woman in a towel....ever!

As anyone who owns a Cummins B or C series engine knows changing the raw water pump is a PIA requiring the engine mount bracket to be removed and the engine supported by a jack. I do most of my own maintenance by necessity but not this job. The bill - $1700 and is why I do most of my maintenance.

Replaced our pump with a raw water pump from Seaboard Marine (Tony Athens). Don't see it in the description, but supposedly its designed for easier removal so that one can replace it w/o going through that procedure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom