Old 12-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
No matter what you choose, just make sure that your transom lettering is clearly visible to overtaking vessels. My policy now is: if I can’t read your boat name, I can’t contact you on the radio and if I can’t call on the radio, I can’t arrange for a slow pass. In that case I just give the appropriate whistles and go on by at 10mph.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
X 2. Excellent quality.
X3. He did a great job on our name boards and hail. We got teak boards with carved letters and did the gold leaf ourselves. He uses a CNC or similar to carve them but fusses with letter spacing on the computer so they look hand carved. You can tell when they are machine done as each letter occupies the same amount of horizontal space and is the same distance apart. He places them individually so it looks appropriate.

Gold leaf is a learned skill. Getting it applied in deeply carved letters was a pain for us but ended well.
firstbase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #23
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
No matter what you choose, just make sure that your transom lettering is clearly visible to overtaking vessels. My policy now is: if I can’t read your boat name, I can’t contact you on the radio and if I can’t call on the radio, I can’t arrange for a slow pass. In that case I just give the appropriate whistles and go on by at 10mph.
That's nice, but the rules for marking a documented recreational vessel do not require the name and hailing port to be on the transom.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
They also require 4" letters but I find that many I see, me included, are short of that a bit. I have not heard of CG/LE pulling out a tape measure to check. I am entertaining a dinghy davit and if I did I would move them to the sides as suggested above.
firstbase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #25

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Took the “1 and Done” approach with Stainless Steel cut out . . . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	98971
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Took the “1 and Done” approach with Stainless Steel cut out . . . Attachment 98971
Very nice. Whodunit?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #27
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Took the “1 and Done” approach with Stainless Steel cut out . . . Attachment 98971
wow, thats really cool
Old 02-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
That's nice, but the rules for marking a documented recreational vessel do not require the name and hailing port to be on the transom.

Richard
Correct....The law also prohibits negligent operation .

For those that don't believe it....

From the NVDC....

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."

46 U.S.C. § 2302(a) provides that a person operating a vessel in a negligent manner or interfering with the safe operation of a vessel, so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of a person is liable to the U.S. Government for a civil penalty.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #29

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Wooden name plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Very nice. Whodunit?

I friend who has a print shop, he sourced the vendor, he used laser cutter to cut out the letters from a 1/4” stainless plate, then cut to shape, offset mounted on Teak. Sure there are other sources with same equipment to do the same job. If you cannot find one I can provide more information. BTW . . . Nameplate lettering meets the 4” requirement, also have lettering (not stainless) on the bow and stern (with Port of Call) as required.

Standing by -
JimW
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nameplate, namesign