Winterizing the shoreside connection for Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Does the Shore side water hook up self drain on a 390 if not how do you get plumbing anti freeze into the fixture up here in the frosty north for the winter

Pull the cap with the pressure pump on. See if the check valve leaks slightly. Many do. If so, just let it run like that until it pushes antifreeze out. If you're blowing the system dry, just blow air into the fitting.

On my last boat (well, next to last. The last is in my Avatar to the left), the shoreside water connection was added after it was built and there was no check valve. Just winterize it like all other fixtures: open it until pink stuff comes out.

David

Last edited:
On my last boat (well, next to last. The last is in my Avatar to the left), the shoreside water connection was added after it was built and there was no check valve. Just winterize it like all other fixtures: open it until pink stuff comes out.

David
Not quite sure I understand all other fixtures use the pressure pump the shore side connection uses pressure from the city services and pressure is stepped down by the shore side connection on the boat how do i get pressure, I am thinking it just drains as it is higher than the water pump and tanks

Shore side water connections are plumbed (through a check valve sometimes) to the pressure side of the on board fresh water pump. The fresh water pump acts like a check valve to prevent shore water from backing up into the fresh water tank.

Given that it is on the pressure side of the pump, the shore side water valve acts just like any other galley or head water fixture when you winterize them. Just hook up antifreeze to the suction side of the pump, turn it on and open each fixture including the shore side valve until you get pink stuff out.

As rslifkin notes above even shore side connections with check valves leak enough that after a minute or so of the shut off valve being open enough antifreeze leaks by to antifreeze it. If I had a check valve I think I would remove it if for no other reason to make winterizing easier. I can't see any real value to a check valve behind the shore side water valve.

David

Mt shore water inlets have looked like these...
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-183-...ocphy=1022735&hvtargid=pla-515050673434&psc=1
They include a pressure regulator and a check valve and have no shut off valve so pumping back through it not possible.
I blow out the water system(s) using compressed air introduced into the shore fitting using a hose to pipe thread adapter and quick connect to my air hose from compressor. This first step eliminates any residual water in the pump outlet side and the plumbing & fixtures. Then introducing AF via 3 way valve & fitting at the tank feed to the pump inlet. Pump pressurizes the plumbing system & fixtures... open each to ensure pink at all locations.

Mt shore water inlets have looked like these...
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-183-...ocphy=1022735&hvtargid=pla-515050673434&psc=1
They include a pressure regulator and a check valve and have no shut off valve so pumping back through it not possible.
I blow out the water system(s) using compressed air introduced into the shore fitting using a hose to pipe thread adapter and quick connect to my air hose from compressor. This first step eliminates any residual water in the pump outlet side and the plumbing & fixtures. Then introducing AF via 3 way valve & fitting at the tank feed to the pump inlet. Pump pressurizes the plumbing system & fixtures... open each to ensure pink at all locations.
Thanks Don I hooked up the compressor (I installed to blow out the plumbing) to the shore side inlet and indeed it blew out the residual pink that was still sitting in the system, after i had winterized the system using the pressure pump. I must have been lucky over the last number of years as this is the first time I have addressed the shore side hook up. I used to just empty the water tanks, bypass the HWT and then suck RV AF with the House pump and open fixtures furthest to lowest. I know Marina's do not take the extra time to blow out this fitting. I have added the step to my future winterization plans. Many Thanks

I like to blow out not only to ensure that section from dockside is clear but more to clear most of the water from the rest of the system. That way as soon as I get pink to a faucet or other fixture I am sure it will protect for winter temps.
If pink is mixed with standing water you need to run it longer to make sure it is pure AF and not a mixture.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom