Winter Storage Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
I am about to store my 38' trawler outside this winter for the first time, and I am debating whether to pay the $ to have her shrink wrapped. In our marina, I have observed that about 20% of boats on the hard are fully wrapped for the winter. Most of the rest have various home-grown canvas or plastic tarp arrangements, most of which appear to be doing the job.

Waterthrush has full canvas for the flying bridge. So I am thinking I could leave that canvas in place, then tarp the fore and aft sections of the boat and she would be pretty well protected. Am I crazy?

So - experienced northern folks - what are the pros and cons of wrapping? Is the $600 worth it?

Thanks,

David

I had a conversation with the yard manager at our marina about this very issue. He sad that shrink wrapping has two purposes:

1. Keeps snow off which can melt and with the scuppers still packed with snow and ice, flood the cockpit and the engine room.

2. Keeps the snow off the side decks which can leak down the stanchion bases and soak the core when it slowly melts.

So, I shrink wrapped the aft cockpit for $200 to avoid the former and took the risk of the latter happening.

David

"2. Keeps the snow off the side decks which can leak down the stanchion bases and soak the core when it slowly melts."

Yes agreed - and have that water go through a hundred or so freeze & thaw cycles which will work into every crevice and crack as it happens.

Shrink wrap is a great solution to wrap a boat in the winter, but it's an expensive, recurring cost. Canvas or reinforced plastic (the blue, green, or brown stuff) tarps are OK, as long as they are properly supported and tied down. You'll get a couple of years out of plastic, and a little more out of canvas, maybe 10 years. If your boat leaks, or you want to limit gel coat or wood damage, they'll need to be covered.

I'm in Southern Rhode Island. I've always kept my boats uncovered. My 19-season Island Packet, and current 11-season old Nordic Tug are both dry boats (no leaks). Once hauled, I'll wash down the boat and cover all fiberglass and metal with a thick coat of wax. I use Kit paste or liquid carnuba wax. Last couple of years I've used liquid Kit, squirt it on the fiberglass, and spread it around with a soft (yellow) wash brush. Again, I'll put it on pretty thick. It will dry, protect the gel coat, and the wax holds up over the Winter. In Spring, I'll wash off the dry wax with Dawn detergent, then go through the normal Collinite cleaner and waxing exercise.

Depending on the boat, cockpits may have to be covered. The snow will pile up and scuppers will freeze up. I have a small plastic cover over the NT cockpit to keep much of the snow out, and I check the boat after any significant snow fall. I've even stored the boat in the water this way.

Attachments

• viking_0108_1.jpg
    viking_0108_1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 189
So what have you done in the past? Stored indoors? And is your boat actively for sale? If it's on the market I would put it indoors or shrink wrap it, for a couple of reasons: a) it will be easier to show and likely show better, and b) it conveys the message that your boat is well kept.

I would never leave the "summer canvas" up all winter. Too much wear and tear on an expensive piece of kit.

I've ordered a custom cover from Genco. Not cheap, but for me the alternatives were shrink wrapping or indoor.

I don't know about your area, but around here with snow, ice and wind, canvas enclosures can take a real beating over the winter. I wouldn't leave the canvas up.

Ken

Greetings.
Mr. DR. Take down all your canvas AND associated framework. It only takes one heavy wet snowfall to cause big damage when something not meant to take the load collapses. We had a "custom" cover made for a 34' Marine Trader with aluminum pipework and an ill fitting heavy plastic tarp. While the tarp lasted, it was nice to work under but being poorly fitted, eventually beat itself to death in the wind. Subsequent coverings using the frame and a well lashed down commercial rectangular plastic tarp work did the job for the remainder of the time we had her.

IF you decide to make your own frame and use a plastic tarp, keep in mind you can probably re-use the framework year after year even if the tarp dies. The key is keep the tarp tight.

IF you decide to make your own frame and use a plastic tarp, keep in mind you can probably re-use the framework year after year even if the tarp dies. The key is keep the tarp tight.

This is what I have always done and it works great. I get 3-4 years out of a *good quality* tarp and the framework lasts forever. Note that the "sharp edges" on the frame were trimmed off before the cover went on. A bonus to a good cover on the boat is you can work inside and when the sun is shining it gets a lot warmer than the outside temps.

Ken

Attachments

• Iphone 6 1st import 551_1.JPG
    Iphone 6 1st import 551_1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Iphone 6 1st import 557_1.JPG
    Iphone 6 1st import 557_1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Shrink wrap is totally worth it in my mind. You can go the makeshift route but might end up with dammages costing a lot more than the price of the shrink wrap. Whatever you do take off your canevas. It's not made to withstand winter conditions and will deteriorate very quickly.

On boats stored in the water over the winter and covered with a tarp, I have seen he tarps kept tight by gallon jugs or buckets of water tied to the tarp and suspended underwater. I shrink wrap mine in the water mainly due to wind driven rain and snow. I have had water intrusion over the winter through port lights. With the shrink wrap coupled with a dehumidifier running in the galley and electric heat set at 45 degrees, the boat smelled fresh when opened up in the spring.

Shrink wrap = no worries

Handmade coverings = checking on after every storm, snow or otherwise.

Shrink wrap is expensive but it prevents a lot of expensive repairs and cosmetic wear.

Tried the blue tarp/frame thing; lasted 'til the first major winter icy blast. While I don't like the $$ outlay each season, I do like the dry interior of the boat, & the fact that my investment is being protected. Shrink wrap is easy & reliable, all I've gotta do is put in the door, climb in & go to work.

The key to me is how long you intend to keep the boat.

A fitted canvass cover is pri$y , but will last a dozen winters , or even in FL a dozen summers ,where plastic is gone in months.

Canvass is bulky and heavy to store , but does a great job , year after year.

If you tarp the boat one caution I haven't seen mentioned is...
never tie tarps to jack stands!!!

I have seen this done often and is a disaster waiting to happen.

I have done DIY shrink wrap and was able to reuse the cover for 2 seasons.

Our boat went a year without shrinkwrap due to a miscommunication with the yard, and we suffered water damage to the aft cabin. Water accumulated in low spots and the the freeze,thaw cycles did their thing. If you have older teak decks and aren't 100% watertight, it's worth it. I used to not cover when we had our Blackfin SF, and it held up well, but that was a totally different style boat with no place for water to pool and get into anything.

I have covered boats with both tarps and shrinkwrap ourselves. The group of boaters we cruise with have chipped in and we have our own shrinkwrap tools and often do it ourselves. IMHO - there is no comparison between the two.
If you have not had some form of damage due to the tarps not repelling water, flying off, hitting the boat or otherwise damaging your topsides and or hull it is only a matter of time. You cannot predict the weather and tarps will fail when you least can afford it and mostly when you cannot get back to the boat.
Boats that are not protected suffer some form of damage over time whether it is slight or severe it builds up over the seasons. Kinda like the old commercial that said " pay me now or pay me later".

Well, I just got our bill for shrink wrapping.
$900 !!
I can't believe how much it went up this year.:banghead:

That is a LOT of incentive for a custom made canvas cover in my opinion if you have the help available to install it.

David, I would ABSOLUTELY shrink wrap a 38 ft boat for $600. Well worth it and 600 is a deal! I shrink wrap in Florida as well. I was the only one when I started to to store my 501 Chris but when others saw the result, many started doing the same. Down south there's other things you have to do, like dehumidifier, charcoal inside, but it's all worth the effort. Gary Cambria Lady

Shrink wrap .... $130 - Last yr. this yr. I'm in Cape May enroute to Bahamas
Gun rental .... $30
Stoopid dog .... priceless

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 87
  • 15974.jpg
    15974.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Whatever you do,visit the boaat often to brush away any snow load

Well it looks like either shrink wrapping or a custom fitted cover is the way to go. I am waiting to get a quote on a custom canvas cover to see how it compares.

Is there any way to make shrink wrapping reusable?

Well it looks like either shrink wrapping or a custom fitted cover is the way to go. I am waiting to get a quote on a custom canvas cover to see how it compares.

Yes it can be done as long as you have someplace to store it.
Slice it somewhere around center at the transom up as far as you have to in order to remove it over the bow.
Keep the frame pieces.
Then in the fall install the opposite way and pick up some of the scrap pieces of virgin shrink wrap the pros throw out and use it to patch the slit.
You can use a regular propane torch just be careful not to burn thru. It will take a little practice and patience.
Wear gloves, hot shrink wrap is hot!

Yes it can be done as long as you have someplace to store it.
Slice it somewhere around center at the transom up as far as you have to in order to remove it over the bow.
Keep the frame pieces.
Then in the fall install the opposite way and pick up some of the scrap pieces of virgin shrink wrap the pros throw out and use it to patch the slit.
You can use a regular propane torch just be careful not to burn thru. It will take a little practice and patience.
Wear gloves, hot shrink wrap is hot!

+1
I've never done it because as a liveaboard I have nowhere to store it but I know many who have gotten 2 and sometimes 3 seasons out of it.

Do NOT cheap out and buy the thin stuff, it may not even make it through one winter. That extra mil makes a huge difference. If you use the clear stuff you can work inside on sunny days in t-shirt and shorts. At -15C outside, it can be 20C inside with the sun.... like a greenhouse.

Last edited:

Genco Marine is making mine. I've been wandering around yards for a long time and theirs stands out as being the best IMO, and they're a great family run business. Retail price for their standard three piece cover is CAD$80/foot and you build the frame with their $300 kit and a few 2x4s.

Genco Marine is making mine. I've been wandering around yards for a long time and theirs stands out as being the best IMO, and they're a great family run business. Retail price for their standard three piece cover is CAD$80/foot and you build the frame with their $300 kit and a few 2x4s.

Jeff: How'd the rest of the trip go for you ? We are currently sitting in a marina in Cape May and taking quite a buffeting. We picked the right night to be in a pretty well protected marina .... at anchor would have sucked today.

Jeff - you just gave me the quote I am waiting to get back from Genco. Cheers.

David

Yes we reused for 2 seasons regularly...a couple of tips / caveats

- we did the original wrap and didn't try to get it as tight as most yards do - eases the removal & reinstall
- It takes a village - many hands work well - the slightest breeze will drive you nuts - really best on a calm day - and forget trying to shrink if it's even drizzling
- We always used a good size rope in the bottom hem - allows you to tighten it up for storage and loosen for removal - also a good place to tie for under the hull / keel lines that keep it down & tight - use a loop in one end to get leverage and leave some extra to loosen - mark where the knot is
- You don't need a full frame for support - our yard uses 1-3 "uprights" - usually 2x6 frame w/ carpet cover on top & bottom and they string the non-stretch strapping from bow - over uprights & down to swim platform supports to form a peak - be sure to tie uprights fore / aft well
- you have to pad any / all chafe points - carpet, rags or scrap shrink wrap work well - tie them in place or they will move
- shrinking from the inside much easier than outside - at least for 80 - 90% of the area - the professional gun makes quick work - I've used a heat gun for small area patch & on a small run about
- blue shrink wrap warms up faster and sheds snow / ice better than white but sill be hotter to work inside in the spring
- don't wrap it too tight - we burned holes at the bow - or you can make an "X" w/ shrink wrap tape and slit an "X" w/ a razor knife - the flaps left discourage the birds from getting in and nesting under cover

Not to hijack the thread, but along the same lines....

What are the options for winter storage for one that wants to store the boat for the winter and spend winter in FL. Like doing the loop?

We use to shrink wrap when it was inexpensive and then the prices really shot up, we have bridge canvas made and cockpit canvas made and have been using it for 18 years now, couple of times we had to get some minor repairs. For us it seemed like such a waste, getting wrapped in November and taking it off in March and you see this big pile of plastic, wood and cord at the end seemed just so wasteful .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom