Windshield Wiper System rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choices

Guru
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
36 Grand Banks Europa
The vessel is a 92, 36 Grand Banks Europa.

The windshield wiper system was original and in a bad state of repair. The shafts were almost gone, the arms frozen on, the stainless springs missing or broken.
WW before.jpg

I took a hacksaw and with a couple of strokes cut the shaft and twisted the arm off.
WW before shaft.jpg

The motor was easy to get to inside the upper helm cabinets.
WW motor.jpg

I contacted AM Equipment, and while on the phone took a few measurements.
Wiper Motor Shaft dimensions.jpg
Wiper motor numbers.jpg

I received a box of new parts.
The arms are now extruded fiberglass.
WW Arm comparison.jpg

The pantograph base is also plastic with a stainless steel sfaft now.
WW base comparison.jpg

The new drive shaft is stainless, as is the hardware.
WW new shaft.jpg

The drive links have bronze bushings versus the original phenolic.

Will post assembled pictures once we refinish and rebed the windows.

Attachments

• Wiper motor dimensions mounting 1.jpg
    Wiper motor dimensions mounting 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 42
What about the motor(s), reuseable? Let's see that window job too. Come on man. You know we like boat pron around here.

I note that your 36 GB is from 1992.

Is that deterioration of your outside metal fittings (your VHF Base on another thread and these Wipers) typical for boats in your Texan climate?

Here in SW BC, my wipers are approaching 40 yrs old, as is my VHF base, and neither shows serious deterioration.

Or is that due to poor quality original equipment?

How about part numbers for the assemblies please?

Thank you!

Mine are real old from 1970. But I have individual electric motors for each wiper. On those, the large cylinder attachment with big nut is a bronze or brass, usually hold up. The center pivot rod is a hardened steel, so can rust, and the top where blade arm attaches is a pot metal. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-28 hole into the blade and use a ss set screw to secure the blade arm to the shaft.
If you want to try and salvage them, remove them from the wiper housing , put engine oil like 10w-30 in pot on the stove and put the part into the oil, then turn it up hot. Let it soak and grab ends with pliers and force arm to turn, rust will come bubbling out the ends. So when it seems like it clear and working, pull them out to drain and cool. Took about 30 minutes to rehab mine.

Hot engine oil dissolves rust.

Last edited:
You don’t need part numbers. AM Equipment will put together a custom system for your boat. Just fill out their on line form and email it to them, they will send you back a quote. They are very reasonable on price.

Just finished a complete replacement of our wiper system including motors. We also used AM equipment. They were great to work with and the exterior components look like they will hold up well in a salt evironment.

Thank you Tiltrider!

Back
Top Bottom