Windshield Wiper Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
I have a Camano Troll which has wipers on the three windshield panes. In the summer here in Southeast VA and Northeast NC, I spend quite a bit of time in the rain it seems. It is pretty uncomfortable trying to look thru a not so clear windshield. What are you guys doing? Maybe I just need to find a set of arms and blades that work better.

Thanks
Kurt

I used Rain-X, the old fashioned rub on kind, on my Camano windows, it helped also be sure the blades are in good shape and soft. There is a tension spring in the arm to hold the blade tight to the glass you might check it that it is ok.

My windshield wiper option is no wipers at all.

It helps to have a vertical windshield and I was very surprised to learn how little one really needs them. I asked another boat owner how he got along w his boat that didn't have them either and he just said he didn't need them. He did extensive cruises to Alaska every year and had thick plastic (probably Lexan) windows bolted to the outside surface of his house.

He was right you don't need them but I'd like to have glass windows and wipers.

Heated "clearview" melts ice, defrosts condensation stays clear in all conditions. Photo below is the view through the "clearview" of a tornado about to hit us in Pungo Creek in 2006.

Attachments

• tornado.gif
    tornado.gif
    65.1 KB · Views: 280
No wipers on OC Diver. I use the original Rain-X, the spray on the cloth and wipe on the windows kind. Clean the windows and then apply three coats. If I'm running 3 or 4 trips a week, it will usually last 2 to 3 weeks.

Ted

Multi speed wipers work better than of /on .

Fresh blades help.

With any on board spray a water source to keep the windshield wet is required to prevent scratching.

The blades do need to be in good condition. I've replaced several arms over the years. The springs rust and corrode. The mfgr. yaps about stainless but forget about the spring so it rusts away and fails or loses tension.

Back
Top Bottom