Window Replacement - Mark Plastics (Happy Customer shout-out)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
What makes the Willard 36 so distinctive are the curved front windows. All other windows were glass but these were acrylic. After 50+ years, they were getting opaque and in need of replacement.

Willards were originally built in Costa Mesa CA, a latent survivor of the once thriving California boat building community that was slayed into obscurity by the Carter-era luxury tax. Willard ceased recreational trawler production in 2002 or so.

Mark Plastics (+1-951-735-7705 - phone only, no email, text, or website) in Corona CA has made windows for local boats for around 35-years, including Willards. I contacted him about forming-up the curved windows for my 1970 Willard, the last W36 built. Guess what? He has the molds to form the curve! I was in Ensenada (Baja) last week, and he was headed to Oceanside 45-mins north of San Diego, so we met there which saved me a 2-hour drive to Corona.

First, I have to say his windows are superb quality for the style they are - a clamp-in window of custom size (clamp-in meaning the inner bezel attaches to the outer frame with screws and 'clamps' the cabin walls between the inner and outer pieces). He uses 1/4" tempered glass and can make any shape needed. His prices are very reasonable, especially when you realize how expensive tempered glass is.

BTW - Mark tells me he's 68 and thinking about selling his business so he can retire. I have no interest whatsoever except that I'm a gleefully satisfied customer. Not a bad gig - note the Travel Lift in the background. Mark was making patterns for Lancer 44 motorsailor that day. If someone were looking for a decent small marine-business with room to grow (heck, just adding a website and email would easily expand the business), they could do worse. For those a bit younger and either tired of office work or idled by Covid, might be something to think about.

Peter

Mark Plastic with W36 Curved Mold.jpg

Mark Plastic Window Sample.jpg

Mark Plastic 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom