Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #1

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Seastar hydraulic steering and atf fluid.

Here is my very specific question. Does anyone have a seastar system running on "red" atf fluid and if yes, any problems?
Paul
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Here
I found a hydraulic jack oil at an autoparts store (Canadian Tire) with the same US milspec as the Seastar oil ... for less than 1/4 of the price. I've been using it for 6yrs now with no problems.

I'd tell you what the milspec number is but the label is so stained it's illegible.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

City: Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Name: Pipe Dream
Vessel Model: Silverton 42C
The mil spec is 5606 and It is red. It’s used extensively in aircraft and occasionally there is a minor change to the specs resulting in lots of unusable oil stored in the back rooms of airport maintenance hangars. I’ve managed to lay claim to many a gallon for free.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:56 AM   #4
Guru

City: South Florida
Why would you not use Sea Star fluid?

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I had the helm pump and cylinder rebuilt on my Hynautic steering system. The factory authorized rebuilder recommended aircraft hydraulic fluid as the purest, thinnest, and best fluid for the system. $9 per quart from Aircraft Spruce.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, Fl.
Vessel Name: Henrietta
Vessel Model: Present 42 Sundeck
I have a Seastar Capilano 1250V system on my '84 Present 42. It uses Dexron II type ATF fluid as per the manufacturers instructions. I have owned the boat for almost 3 years. So far no steering problems.
gulfstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I could argue to use aero hydraulic fluid, but that's really a misnomer.

ANY hydraulic fluid with the same MIL spec, is the SAME... there is no "purest" just because it has an aviation label on it. Chevron, Phillips, Shell... all the same. Now there are different dash numbers. Started as 5606, then 5606A, etc., believe the latest is 5606G, however, very little difference and all will work in our boats.

Now, for some reason the aviation suppliers sell it fairly cheap... and not hard to find it in the $25 a gallon range, or where Ted gets it at Aircraft Spruce. If you google it, there are other suppliers.

And occasionally, you may find a local oil distributor that will sell it (and other oil products) very reasonable, especially in bulk.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
One boat I ran used ATF. In cold weather the steering was much harder due to higher viscosity. In warm weather it was fine. Flushed it out with 5606 fluid and it was much better. 5606 aero hyd fluid is an absolutely fine replacement for the branded sea star fluid.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Why would you not use Sea Star fluid?

if you don't mind paying 4 or five times more than other products that meet the same spec ..... go for it.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Coincidentally, I was researching this over the weekend.

I came to the conclusion that I will go with milspec PRF-5606 aircraft hydraulic fluid. It is an acceptable substitute per Seastar with the primary difference being red dye (so you can more readily identify leaks). I understand the dye can play hell with gelcoat - but my aluminum boat won't care.

As a totally unrelated note: I found out in my research that PRF in milspec PRF-5606 indicates it meets the "performance" standard of 5606. The Seastar instructions indicate H-5606 which is the outdated specification system no longer in use.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcsurf1 View Post
Here is my very specific question. Does anyone have a seastar system running on "red" atf fluid and if yes, any problems?
Paul
I've always just run the SeaStar brand fluid in my SeaStar system on my center console (because it takes so little of it). But, I've used ATF fluid for years in my Hynautic steering System.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The manual for the 1976 vintage Seastar Capilano 1250V system that came with Sandpiper specifies ATF for fluid.

I've had no issues in 20 years since fluid renewal.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I found a hydraulic jack oil at an autoparts store (Canadian Tire) with the same US milspec as the Seastar oil ... for less than 1/4 of the price. I've been using it for 6yrs now with no problems.

I'd tell you what the milspec number is but the label is so stained it's illegible.
If you have a picture of the jug I would be interested having canadian tire nearby.

Thank you

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #14
Guru

City: Anacortes
Tony at Seaboard Marine recommends 3 parts ATF and 1 part #2 diesel. Guessing that the #2 reduces viscosity a little and adds some lubricity.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #15
Guru

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
if you don't mind paying 4 or five times more than other products that meet the same spec ..... go for it.
Had the same qt bottle aboard for 11 years, not something I buy like beer. I know Sea Star / Teleflex do not refine oil, they buy it from an oil company and brand it. And yes, the equivalent/same in several industries is the same stuff.

I worked for a company that manufactured and sold a hydraulic system. The system, tolerances, performance and seals were designed for a specific oil, in this case the readily available and cheap ATF. Did not stop people from calling and asking if they could use this or that.

Capilano and Sea Star (Teleflex) are from the same manufacturer, but specify different oils for their systems. Same with Wagner and Hynautic, and within the Hynautic line different oils for steering than their controls.

Unless I'm going through gallons of the stuff, for stand by / back up in case of a leak, I tend to stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

If the difference was hundreds of dollars and it cost 4 or 5 times as much, I might shop around.

$0.02
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
I worked for a company that manufactured and sold a hydraulic system. The system, tolerances, performance and seals were designed for a specific oil, in this case the readily available and cheap ATF. Did not stop people from calling and asking if they could use this or that.

In some of those cases, it may have been a commonality question. And at least they asked, instead of trying it and breaking stuff... I've been known to vary fluids slightly in automotive applications just to reduce the number of different fluids I have to keep around. And occasionally I've found a functional benefit from it (such as switching a power steering system that said to never use ATF to ATF, which improved cold weather performance and caused no issues at all in over 100,000 miles).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #17

We bought a new Garmin system with auto pilot. Reactor 40 and the such. Installer left the plastic caps in the pump. During sea trial all the fluid leaked out and we lost steering. Had to add fluid on the hook to get back. Oil was dripping everywhere as the pump was installed in the upper helm. Picture of the pump shows the oil straying out while turning the helm. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_074458.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	109622Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_073842.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	109623Click image for larger version

Name:	20201101_092814.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	109624
Old 11-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #18

Btw. Garmin guy made many more mistakes during install. Very poor job. We're in negotiations about his bill. I leaning towards paying for parts and not paying for labor. We're still cleaning oil from leaks seeping oil all over the boat. I also reinstalled the pump. Original installer mounted screws though our outside gell coat. Left all the old Raymarine wiring, still hot and sparking/arching. Didn't even cap off the old wires. Total cluster. Btw. Local garmin dealer with all the certificates on the wall.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcsurf1 View Post
Btw. Garmin guy made many more mistakes during install. Very poor job. We're in negotiations about his bill. I leaning towards paying for parts and not paying for labor. We're still cleaning oil from leaks seeping oil all over the boat. I also reinstalled the pump. Original installer mounted screws though our outside gell coat. Left all the old Raymarine wiring, still hot and sparking/arching. Didn't even cap off the old wires. Total cluster. Btw. Local garmin dealer with all the certificates on the wall.
I'd deduct your time for clean up from the parts on the bill in addition to not paying labor.

Make sure to take lots of pictures for documentation in case of push back from installer.

Write up a detailed description of what happened, what was said etc while fresh on your mind. Written report holds a lot more evidentiary weight than memory recollection.

Every time I have a beef with vendors, I email vendor my report and tell them that I'm giving then an opportunity to respond before I send the report to Boat US, Passagemaker Magazine and the local boating magazine; NW Yachting. I've been very successful at getting satisfaction.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
If you have a picture of the jug I would be interested having canadian tire nearby.

Thank you

L
The label is truly illegible but just go to CTC and look for the black 1 quart bottle of hydraulic jack oil marked with the 5606 US milspec.