Window Gasket Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Hi There,

We have a 2005 Mainship 430 aft cabin trawler. The salon front windows’ gaskets need to be replaced, as do the side windows. The front windows are my immediate concern as they started leaking just prior to shrink-wrapping. After examining the gaskets, they have done well for 13 years or so and the window gasket needs a reset. I’m thinking we need the inner and outer gasket

Does anyone have any tips, lessons learned, videos, etc…. of how to replace the window gaskets and where to find the gasket?

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ab4.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ab4.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 70
While there no help for hollow square rubber for cast bronze ports ,

for may sizes and shape rubbers , Steele , wwwsteelerubber.com 888-840 -7833 is a great resource. Free catalog.

Pull-em off and throw-em out.
They don't do anything better than a thin bead of caulk does.
Get some glazing silicone (I know everybody hates silicone, but glass is one place it actually belongs, especially in the UV). GE SGS 2800 is a very good product; it's clear. Clean with solvent, use masking tape on either side to outline a thin line, lay a bead, use a gloved finger to tool it to a perfection, and remove the tape while still wet. Cleaner look without that crappy black stuff and seals them up very nicely.

" (I know everybody hates silicone),"

Except the folks that swear BY it and not AT it.

Like anything it has its uses and requires understanding to use it properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a bead of caulk or butyl tape underneath of there already, there should be. Usually the only cure for leaking windows is to completely rebed the glass. That gasket is to merely help shed water and trim out the window frame.

Here is one good guide on the subject:
Boat Windows - How to Repair Window Leaks : Boats and Yachts Maintenance, Repairs and Troubleshooting

Here is one specific to Hatteras boats, but many of the same principles and materials apply. https://www.samsmarine.com/new/Manuals/GlassInstallation.pdf

Thanks everyone. I'll research your tips.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom