Why a wooden (teak cap rail)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cap rail

I replaced my cap rail with a composite recycled plastic one two years ago. It has been fantastic.
I have a video of the job on YouTube if you're interested.

All boats are so much work .I put a hardtop on my boat yesterday and I can barely walk today . When I get the Boat the way I want, I guarantee you this will be the last boat!!!! I am so sore today

Smart move? Purchased a boat with no exterior wood, only lots of interior wood.

Attachments

• radiated mark.jpg
    radiated mark.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 12
I replaced my labour intensive wooden cap rail with a recycled plastic one two years ago. Best thing I've done in ages.
Take a look
https://youtu.be/6dxZTLbZUrs

I have the recycled plastic and sawdust composite on my sundeck at home. It looked really good the first couple of years, but with time and sun it now looks as tired as the untreated cedar deck above it. Both are now closing on 20 yrs old.
I also found the recycled composite changed shape within a few years. When installed, it had 3/16" spaces between the boards, so rain could escape. Those disappeared completely, so I have drilled drain holes at the low spots.

Have you applied any top coating to brighten yours on your boat? If so, what did you use, how often will it need to be redone?

This is obviously a "to each his own" subject (as most things should be). Boat ownership to me is a holistic experience, for lack of a better term. I enjoy the time underway but almost as much just being aboard, even on a mooring or in the slip (mooring preferred). And a day aboard just putzing around doing chores makes for a pleasant way to pass the time - even varnishing..

And to me, nicely finished brightwork is a thing of pure aesthetic beauty so I try to keep the most visible pieces up to snuff though I have Brightside-ed Serena's wooden spreaders and other more utilitarian wood parts. I do keep all the topside wood on my sailboat finished bright, but have made canvas sun covers for most of it which has let the varnish stand up through multiple seasons here in the northeast.

An acquaintance put me on to a teak sealer called Semco that kept his 47' sailboat looking snappy. Allegedly just clean the wood thoroughly, then brush on a couple of coats, with a yearly maintenance coat and that's all he claims to do. I used it on Serena's fly-bridge woodwork but decided to try it as a base coat and applied four coats of Minwax Spar urethane over it. Came out beautifully but we'll see how it stands up over time.
Joe

We used Semco on our last boats teak decking. It is very easy to use and nonskid. You can see the grain of the wood very nicely too. I put 2 coats on the first time and then 1 coat at the beginning of each season here. We are in Michigan so 1 coat a year was adequate but probably would need more refresh coats in Florida. To do our sundeck took about 45 minutes each year. Used foam brush to lay a coat down and then used paper towels to wipe the Semco off the caulk lines. And that was it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom