Who keeps impeccable maintenance records?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep a log/journal. When I do something mechanical I put it in the log with date and hours: “3/25/22 oil and filters both engines 990 hours.” I log a full buff/wax job but not wash downs.

I started keeping track of defrosts on the fridge just before I replaced the door seals as I wanted to see if it made much of a difference.

I also keep track of fuel taken on and major trips.

Also write a bit about crossings etc and family stuff. Fish caught, big events stuff like that.

My log is 20 years old at this point and covers three boats. It’s fun to go back and read every once in a while.

That said, it’s not very professional or organized and I miss stuff sometimes.

As the saying goes, "There are many ways to skin a cat" (kind of a sick saying really). However, I have to agree with Rich G. I do have a reasonably good memory, however, it is not infallible. Personally, I do not know how anyone could with any accuracy keep track of all the items on a modern mid size and up trawler without some form of record?? As I stated before, I just kept a simple, hand written chronological record of all work done (not washes or regular light bulb changes) but everything else. It only takes about 2 minutes after the work is done, and quickly becomes habit. Although the new owner appreciates all of the info, I did it mostly for me, so I could feel confident that necessary things were not missed (eg. like changing the lube oil or greasing the windlass).
If TF members can do that effectively from memory, then good on them, and "you are a better man than I am Gunga Din". :)

This is another area in boating where "each to his/her own".

An example of memory lost.

I have adapted a Captains log, a maintenance log, a fuel log for the boat from TF member shared templates. It has taken 2 years to almost get it adapted to my liking.
I want to thank those TF members, but I cannot remember who gave me the bits and pieces I have assembled. How do you expect me to remember when I last changed a mast light.

I wish I kept great records, but I don't. I do all the stuff I should (and then some) but just don't write it all down. I write the hours on the filters, and it's plain to see the upgrades and such, but not much is written down.

A common refrain on this forum is, when considering a purchase, to ask for maintenance records and be suspicious of a boat with gaps. I dont plan to sell and I don't really care what a buyer thinks as I believe the boat would speak for itself, but curious what say the TF Bigger Brain?

How may of you don't keep great records?

Curious minds want to know....

Peter

What I'm not seeing in this discussion is a mention of the apps/programs that reminds us of dates to renew permits, licenses and the like. I used to see them, but they were a bit pricey. If I was told when to have my ER fire suppresion system serviced, or the life raft renewed, the EPIRB registered, etc. I would be happy to join in.

Every thing I do on the boat is logged into my boat log, but it is manual and I can't keep up with my responsibilities as far as registration/certification/licensing and so forth. I realize there'd be a lot of work on the front side, but once done, wouldn't that be great? For example, I'm sure that my life raft is overdue for repack, now that I think of it.

What I'm not seeing in this discussion is a mention of the apps/programs that reminds us of dates to renew permits, licenses and the like. I used to see them, but they were a bit pricey. If I was told when to have my ER fire suppresion system serviced, or the life raft renewed, the EPIRB registered, etc. I would be happy to join in.

Every thing I do on the boat is logged into my boat log, but it is manual and I can't keep up with my responsibilities as far as registration/certification/licensing and so forth. I realize there'd be a lot of work on the front side, but once done, wouldn't that be great? For example, I'm sure that my life raft is overdue for repack, now that I think of it.

Couldn't you just put a reminder in a calendar on your laptop or phone?

I wish I kept great records, but I don't. I do all the stuff I should (and then some) but just don't write it all down. I write the hours on the filters, and it's plain to see the upgrades and such, but not much is written down.

A common refrain on this forum is, when considering a purchase, to ask for maintenance records and be suspicious of a boat with gaps. I dont plan to sell and I don't really care what a buyer thinks as I believe the boat would speak for itself, but curious what say the TF Bigger Brain?

Peter

Sorry I've been so late to respond. I've been busy updating my maintenance records.

:)

Can't really say "impeccable" but it happens I think I could pinpoint (just now) what I've done or had done -- and what I've spent on this boat -- down to about the nearest boat buck. (IOW, I also know how much over-budget I am.)

I just use a relatively simple Excel spreadsheet file, subdivided into various worksheets. Hired work (and cost) and non-trivial parts I install myself highlighted... and I can keep a running total of those costs by letting the spreadsheet do the math.

Augmented by computer folders/subfolders storing emailed or scanned receipts (residing in the same area as the softcopy systems manuals for everything I find).

Did the same for the previous boat, and when it came time to sell we had a buyer approx 6 hours after listed. It presented well, too, so can't tell whether the service/maintenance/upgrade records influenced that or not...

-Chris

Last edited:

Peter

WOW!!!! 65 responses in only 8 days.

I also keep pretty good records of maintenance and repairs. I do plan on selling at some point and while overall condition is a pretty good measure of how well maintained, I have also been dealing with several on-going issues that are easily tracked from my records. I found that getting the overall record set up was time consuming, keeping things up to date don't take much time at all. I don't use a special program but do use MS word formatted with an index. I also keep an annual expense worksheet as well as a To Do list so I'm reminded of what I want to do when I am at the boat.

I keep great records of all maintenance and fuel. One thing I will never do is add the columns! Don't want to know what have spent.

I keep great records of all maintenance and fuel. One thing I will never do is add the columns! Don't want to know what have spent.

I keep a running total only because Excel does it for me. Still not sure if that's good or bad for a buyer to see. On one hand, an open checkbook approach is a positive, on the other hand do you really want the buyer to know the true cost of ownership?

I purchased a maintenance log and record everything mechanical so that I don't have to rely on my memory! Part of the reason for this is that the PO didn't seem to keep records and things he said were 'new' were 10 years old - like starting batteries. I also keep a file at home with receipts for work done by the yard. It takes one minute to write the item/date/engine hours of the maintenance. I'm not recording 'cosmetic' improvements like upholstery or flooring but do have the receipts in my files.

I keep impeccable records of everything. It's a bit OCD, but it's what I learned first as an aviation mechanic, then military aviator, then aircraft owner. Can't help myself.

To me keeping "accurate" records is cathodic... after item accomplished. Sort of like successfully zipping up my pants... momentarily cathodic - LOL

Accurate records are "closure" to anything that may need to be or could/should be assisted by eventual review. No records = no truly accountable accurate background over years of accomplishments.

Thus - Fahrenheit 451 by, Ray Bradbury. No books = No records. There's a nut leader of major power nation who currently embraces No Accurate Records!

As some have mentioned--I keep more of a log which includes maintenance. If I learn something new about how to use some of the features on a particular system or how I had difficulty changing out a particular part and how I solved it or how I would do it next time to make it easier it went into the "Log/Maintenance.

Part names and numbers, sources for these parts and so forth. I kept it on a laptop in a simple Word document which made it searchable.

When I sold the boat I printed it out and gave it to the broker--he said a few lookers found it impressive and comprehensive. The ultimate buyer contacted me, more than once after the sale to thank me for this log as it helped him find, troubleshoot, etc.

When I sold the boat I printed it out and gave it to the broker--he said a few lookers found it impressive and comprehensive. The ultimate buyer contacted me, more than once after the sale to thank me for this log as it helped him find, troubleshoot, etc.

This reminds me of what happened after I soild my GB42 in 2015. I gave the new owner many e-files running back over the 29 years of my ownership including the very extensive maintenance Excel file, but he told me that he "had people" who did Excel because he was not conversant. Over the following six years before his unfortunate passing, we had many, many conversations about when I had done something, the history of this and that, and planned improvements. I was constantly referring back to my Excel maiuntenace file which I had done for myself rather than to benefit a future owner. I was always more interested in making sure my alterations/improvements were understandable and properly labeled along with any needed written instructions for follow-on owners.

I keep a spreadsheet maintenance log. Not happy with the organization of it, but at least I have something...

I also use a spreadsheet on Google Drive by major component. Seems to work.

I tried with pretty shabby results

Impeccable????? NO. But adequate for decent records including parts, timetables, work done and why. I do go back and look things up.

In my work records were part of the job so I learned some of it there.

It is all on paper since I started long before any PCs of any kind were around and I've never seen a reason to quit that format. Besides when I did try to go computer I made such a confounded hash of it I quit trying.

But they are there and I will pass the books on if someone ever buys the boat.
That will include the equipment manuals, all of them. Over the years I have gone after the other manuals such as the engine shop manuals.

Like some above, I have been boating and keeping records for quite a while. I started before computers came along on the boat, so with paper. When I got my present boat, in 1994, I had an early laptop, so started keeping my logs on it. Early computers were not up to the task, at least not in my hands, so I lost more than a few years of logs. Fortunately, I hadn't completely transferred from paper and my maintenance records have survived and continued. My next several laptops have improved my log keeping, but I still do the maintenance stuff on paper. Most recently, the automatic recording of trips on the computer, which was done using the CAPN charting program that I bought in the 90s, failed when CAPN was bought by somebody else, then support stopped, then when I again updated my laptop, I couldn't run it due to the Windows operating system update in the new laptop being unable to run a program that old. So I am now using Active Captain, but I have lost the old routes and all the old trips.
Paper is still king,

My boat's maintenance is almost entirely by contractors/boatyards, so their detailed billings well-document the maintenance.

I have impeccable records, but I'm not the one who does them and they are on software which isn't readily available nor transferrable.

Here's part of the problem, information costs. You can have any level of maintenance records you want, but it costs both financially and in time. In business, for inventory and manufacturing you have very detailed bills of material. Just setting them up with all that detail and recording initial inventories can take hundreds of hours. The engineer doing our initial setup spend weeks setting it up and the software was expensive and since has been so modified it's not recognized.

I'd suggest to most, keep all receipts, decide what information is worth paying for. Think of an hourly rate for your time. You'll find situations in which for an additional 5 hours a month you can have even better records. Value that 5 hours at $50 an hour and then decide is it worth $250 per month? Often you'll realize it is not.

Simple, home made word document. Works just fine. The important part is to record maintenance.

Been using Boating Suite. Very inexpensive to buy. Very good way to tract expenses by category, fuel used and cost, maintenance, Cost of ownership etc.
Effortless to keep up to date and allows comments such hows good who/what not so much.
I write on all my filters date/hours and on any other service items. That way every time I look at the engine, genset or other thing I know what’s coming up for service. I do better with that as a reminder. I save the top of the boxes and write date/miles on the back of them. Adds in buying replacements although that information is also put in boating suite. Although even away from the boat in the back of mind I know what needs to be done and when I still like as many reminders as possible.

I put a label on engine hourmeters showing the time for the next oil change.

Our summer trips are usually long, so I keep a log of the filters and oil on board as well as other spares, so I can be sure to have enough for the trip.

If a buyer really wants to know the state of things, they will do an oil analysis rather than believing a maintenance log that may or may not be accurate.

Jim

I am really good at making entries in April and May. Come June, July and August, not so good.

pete

I keep impeccable records of everything that I write down. Who can say a month later, year later if I actually did what is written. But, for my purpose I can refer to it when needed.

My 10 cents, I keep a basic excel spread sheet. Typically updated from photos taken. I have gotten in to the habit of snapping pics of the hour meter and trip log (MFD)at the start and end of the day. Any work done gets recorded with pics as well as fuel bowser readings etc. and I update it later when I get the time. Then from the log entry I can work backwards using the date to hunt out past photos of the work done if I need to remind myself. I colour the maintenance items with a set background colour to easily see if something is overdue. i.e. grey background for HE zinc change, blue for battery water etc. It’s not a chore for me - pics only take seconds (if I don’t have toooo much Lehman juice on my paws) and the entrees remind me of play time in my happy place. I got in the habit of taking pics from emailing screen shots of my overnight Lat Long position to my minders. The logs just for me. That’s a good 10 cents worth me thinks,

I'm kind of interested in the phone app logs. Except for the expense ledger. Sometimes better to not know.

What would be useful to me is where I bought something more than how much I spent. And of course, the location of spare parts. Also some kind of a "to do" alarm. If the program integrated date and/or engine hour with certain tasks, that would be great. When I enter 7,832 engine hours, the log would notify me "time to change heat exchanger zinc" (based on having set the parameter at every 150 hours). When the phone sees that the date is 7/26/2023, it notifies "time to change raw water impeller" (also based on a set parameter). That might get me more interested in a phone app.

I've already got a to do list (soon I may have to add more memory to my phone.) Could be that my notification system might turn into a nagging mother-in-law type scenario. I suppose it is possible for a complex log book to suck the fun out of boating.

I use excel spread sheets. 1 for each major component, port engine, gensets, sips log etc. I keep a copy on board in a binder and add date hours, decryption, and cost. I jot service items at the time of service and update the computer occasionally. It keeps a running total for cost. I also keep a full fuel log. With this new boat and I am learning all the new systems I have added using a label maker. Basically labeling dates on items that have been serviced, installation dates, descriptions. Labeling hoses where they come and go. All discharge ports are labeled now. I have not done a cruising log.

My 10 cents, I keep a basic excel spread sheet. Typically updated from photos taken. I have gotten in to the habit of snapping pics of the hour meter and trip log (MFD)at the start and end of the day. Any work done gets recorded with pics as well as fuel bowser readings etc. and I update it later when I get the time. Then from the log entry I can work backwards using the date to hunt out past photos of the work done if I need to remind myself. I colour the maintenance items with a set background colour to easily see if something is overdue. i.e. grey background for HE zinc change, blue for battery water etc. It’s not a chore for me - pics only take seconds (if I don’t have toooo much Lehman juice on my paws) and the entrees remind me of play time in my happy place. I got in the habit of taking pics from emailing screen shots of my overnight Lat Long position to my minders. The logs just for me. That’s a good 10 cents worth me thinks,

Keeping a trip and maintenance log is fairly easy with Excel and a smartphone. BeeJay's method is similar to what I use. Thanks for the post.

Back
Top Bottom