where did Hypalon numbers go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Around 15 years ago, I bought glue-on registration numbers made of Hypalon. My recent searches have failed to turn up a vendor. Any ideas where one can find these? I hate the regis plastic boards.

I got mine thru defender.

Defender. Used the custom order method. Was easy.

You can actually get them pre-cut?
I bought a piece of hypalon (at the inflatable boat store) and cut my own.

You can actually get them pre-cut?

I bought a piece of hypalon (at the inflatable boat store) and cut my own.

Pre printed with your numbers, and room for 2 registration placards.

We used similar methods as above for our previous inflatables, but when we bought our new hypalon Highfiled 2 years ago I asked the dealer what he thought was the best method. To my surprise, he strongly recommended high quality vinyl letters from a local sign shop (Race Signs in Stuart). He said he has been using them for 15 years and after seeing thousands of boats come through his shop for various repairs he feels that good vinyl works best.

I like the idea of custom letters that match the font and color of the Highfield logo, and it was inexpensive ($25), so I had Race signs make up the letters and I carefully installed them.

Two years in and they have shown ZERO signs of peeling off. Plus they look really nice.

So, you are sticking on PSA vinyl numbers directly on the hypalon?

Yes.

I did this on a brand new boat, so no cleaners, wax etc on it other than what came from the factory. As per the directions from the sign company, I wiped it down with alcohol then acetone prior to install.

So far the letters are sticking great.

Great to hear, thanks. Maybe this is why so few vendors sell hypalon numbers.

Interesting to discuss Hypalon, as Hypalon was actually a Dupont product and was discontinued by them in 2009. When Hypalon burns it releases highly toxic fumes. Also, Hypalon contains lead-based additives. Dupont had one plant in Beaumont, TX devoted to Hypalon and Acsum and they closed it entirely. So that greatly reduced the prominence of Hypalon and meant many chemical companies producing their versions. What might be easily cast aside and insignificant to Dupont can be important to others. Manufacturers have taken one of two paths to resolution: 1) they switched to other suppliers of CSPE materials that don’t use the trade name Hypalon; or 2) they switched to other materials such as thermoset CPE, which offers performance characteristics very similar to those offered by CSPE.

Note you won't see AB Ribs use the word Hypalon but they use Orca's version. Achilles talks about their version and basically says same as Hypalon. But just as all vinyl ribs are not the same today, neither are all "Hypalon" ribs.

Why not then in numbers and sheets? Well, no Dupont pushing it. Sign companies keep it around but seldom need it. When you can wrap a car in Vinyl, what do you use hypalon for? RIBS.

Yeah; looks to be a 1940 patent by Dupont. Even the trademark is no longer tied to Dupont.

HYPALON - Trademark Information
By DUPONT PERFORMANCE ELASTOMERS LLC
The HYPALON trademark was assigned a Serial Number #71666833 – by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Trademark Serial Number is a unique ID to identify the HYPALON mark in USPTO. The HYPALON mark is filed in the category of Chemical Products . The legal correspondent for HYPALON trademark is JAMES C. WRAY, 1493 CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD SUITE 300, MCLEAN, VA 22101 . The current status of the HYPALON filing is CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE.

Yeah; looks to be a 1940 patent by Dupont. Even the trademark is no longer tied to Dupont.

HYPALON - Trademark Information
By DUPONT PERFORMANCE ELASTOMERS LLC
The HYPALON trademark was assigned a Serial Number #71666833 – by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Trademark Serial Number is a unique ID to identify the HYPALON mark in USPTO. The HYPALON mark is filed in the category of Chemical Products . The legal correspondent for HYPALON trademark is JAMES C. WRAY, 1493 CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD SUITE 300, MCLEAN, VA 22101 . The current status of the HYPALON filing is CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE.

Yes, they don't make it so don't care who uses the name.

Why Hypalon?

Around 15 years ago, I bought glue-on registration numbers made of Hypalon. My recent searches have failed to turn up a vendor. Any ideas where one can find these? I hate the regis plastic boards.
I have the ones Defender sells on both a PVC and a hypalon boat. Works fine on both.

West marine sells the kit to get numbers. last time I got one it was $35. Called the company and it was the same price. You buy the package (blister the size of a deck of cards), go on line, pick out the colors,material etc and in a week you have the laminated numbers. One is bigger so there is room for the registration sticker.

Back
Top Bottom